AT gold on the beach

mnornewbie

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so I like the reviews and everything so far about the At gold. using it in parks and fresh water river and streams and shorlines mostly, but would love to bring it out to the coast and use it on the ocean sand beaches, some wet hard packed, some dry, but not very often going past ankle deep tide water. so why can't you use the gold model in saltwater. Can you buy a different coil to fix that, or is it in the way the detector works. Again, im new, so any info can really help, thanks, I really want to buy one soon and get out.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett states the gold won't ground balance to salt. It will work just won't be stable and get really deep.

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the garrett at pro just for that reason, my family and i go to the ocean every year so that being said i went with the at pro! In the future i will get the 5x8 coil to seperate trash better! The at pro is better for all around use when the at gold was built primaerly for gold/relic/coins!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the AT PRO is not so hot at the saltwater beaches either. It has one frequency and depending on the amount of black sand and salt concentrations it may or may not work well in the wet sand. It will however work in the dry sand just like most of the other detectors. But if you wanted the best, thats the Sov GT. with the Excal next and then the CZ-21. PI's work well too, but they find every piece of junk real deep.

OP
OP
M

mnornewbie

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who makes the sov GT and is it as user friendly as the pro or gold, and water proof completely as well

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mnornewbie said:
who makes the sov GT and is it as user friendly as the pro or gold, and water proof completely as well

Minelab does. Very user friendly but not waterproof. The Minelab Excalibur is though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions