New AT Pro on the way, what should I do first

mnornewbie

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have a new Garret AT Pro and a Pro pointer on the way and should be here tomorrow or friday. Being my first metal detector ever, you all can imagine how excited I am. But I am curious on where to start. Is there any online tutorials that anyone would recommend on basic detector operation and how to use all the features on a metal detector? Or is there a instruction manual that comes with it that is a good enough starting tool? I would like to go out the first day to a local park of some sort, and then this weekend will be a crash course on the ocean beach, so I can learn how to set it up the best possible way this unit can for the salt water beach. There is going to be one of the most negative tides going on of the entire year. Could be a really good chance to find some cool things, as soon as we get our limit of razor clams first that is for christmas dinner since we are going there as a couple for the holiday. I am like a kid in a candy store and am curious, not nervous on how to prepare to use this toy. Thanks all for any info.

p.s. Bart At Big Boy Hobbys set me up very nicely with a great bundle and excellent service, thanks again Bart.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing is to read the manual. Install batteries and take is outside to a place without overhead wires and wave coil over various targets to see where they read on your screen. Practice with the ground balance. rIf it chirps when holding it still at waist level, turn down the sens till it stops. I should tell you here that you can't have on any security fences or dog fences as this will also affect operation. Don't be upset if you can only operate at half sens as this is enough for your area. The AT Pro should be fine for use in the dry sand, but could be unstable in the wet sand. Just depends on sens and amount of salt and black sand concentrations. It will take a while to learn. In the mean time read all you can about detecting. :read2:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090406063943/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHOOOH THERE.... Don't get in a big hurry to get out there and find it all. It'll take patience, persistance and practice to learn the machine. There is a manual that comes with the detector, if you got the Garrett "Fall Specical" you'll also get a book called Relic Quest that will offer some hints and tips as well. As for tutorials, check this out: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx

Practice pinpointing and digging targets in your yard before you go into a park or your neighbors yard detecting. Learning to pinpoint and how to dig a target takes lots of practice, don't practice on property you don't own, you won't be invited back....

Beach hunting will require a little extra knowledge and patience to set the machine up. You will want to automatic ground balance and then manually adjust the ground balance to really get the machine dialed in. Ground balance in each condition you're in, dry sand, wet sand and in the water. Decrease sensitivity until stable.

Also, beach hunting, especially in the water will require a sand scoop to dig your targets.

Good luck & have fun

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Dwight S said:
beach hunting, especially in the water will require a sand scoop to dig your targets.

Good luck & have fun
Yes you will need a sand scoop for wet sand and it is a lot better to have a sand scoop for dry sand also................. A digging tool really don't work that good in sand ...........

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro. I started with an ACE 250. Since this is your first detector, you might want to start in standard mode, not pro mode. The "how to" videos are a great help, along with the manual. I would start in your own yard with the sensitivity at about 4-5 bars. I use the auto ground balance. See what it looks like with different coins. Realize that nickels are often the same as can slaw and gold is the same as pull tabs. Before you start digging up the park, learn to dig a plug on youtube. I started with a playground because you can find stuff and you can't destroy wood chips! Keep your detector parallel to the ground when you swing and overlap your swings. You will love the ProPointer! Wear some kind of gloves to protect your hands from sharp things. Fill all your holes and throw away all the trash you find. Once you have mastered the standard mode, then you can move on to the pro mode. Good luck and let us know what you find the first hunt!

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First hit your knees and thank the good Lord... then research, research and then research! HH!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will love the Garrett AT Pro. Glad I could help you on your purchase! Feel free to holler at me with any questions. Guys here on the forum are giving you some great suggestions. Stay out of the trashy areas till you get a good handle on it. The audio overload of a trashy area will make you want to wrap it around a tree.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Hmmm open the box then check to make sure everything is there then read manual before putting in batteries and turning it on.

Don't ya love smart a**'s? :laughing7:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would recommend planting a few coins at different depths in your yard and practice what your machine is telling you. Cover all your holes and get permission on any property that is not public. Stay out of National Parks (big no-no) and some State Parks (check state laws as some will and some won't). Maybe ask if any local hunters in your area that can give any one on one advice as well. Most clubs will be more than happy to help. Good luck and post what you find.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Read manual thouroughly. Nobody can give you magic words, not even the manual, you have to toil thru it and learn it like learning a new language, it is not easy. Throw the manual under the couch. Get a good digger. Set to Pro mode. Custom mode. Set Sense at second bar from bottom of scale (low). Iron scrim at max 40. Regular scrim set at top two bars of scale (no crap allowed). Iron audio off. Do an accurate gb over clean ground. Dig everthing that solid beeps. Use these settings for the first fifty targets, do not alter in any way. This should give you a rather vigourous, yet forgiving and satisfying introduction to coin shooting. But you gotta learn pinpointing and plugging and smoothing off the turf and all that crap. You got your hands full. After fifty targets, (all coins and goodies) go back to couch. Read manual again. After this, go pro mode coins mode. You will have a sore digging arm and perhaps cuss a little bit. But you will do well.

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to Garrett.com, hobby, warranty and support.. Download AT Pro manual.. If you have a smart phone send it to your phone.. Much easier than digging out the manual if you have it in your phone.. You can also store all the Garrett traing videos on your smart phone.. very easy and handy.. A good way to get any info you need in the field..
Good Luck..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread