Garrett AT Pro......like it?

bigjer

Mar 28, 2005
Hi,
I had to get out of detecting 4 yrs ago , due to knee problems. I sold my Whites DFX(sadly)
Now I am retired and my 32 yr old son has become hooked on detecting and wants me to go with him. I am thinking about getting a Garretts AT Pro.(knees be damned!! lol) I know it's not the same class machine as the Whites DFX.....but whats the verdict on this detector?

Thanks......Happy New YEAR!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a bad detector but I don't like it. The sweep speed needed for accurate id of a coin with the same numbers are too fast for my liking. Mine doesn't want to give the same numbers on each pass so it can't ID well. Aside from that I like other detectors that don't have a screen and I had to give up my DFX also because of knees. I have lots of experience on other machines and just have no confidence on the AT PRO which has gone back twice. Once your spoiled by better detectors it is hard to love a red headed step child. But it is light weight and maybe I just need more time with it, but time is the only thing you never get back.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
mgary said:
I have an AT PRO and have had success with it.. For the price of the unit, cant complain. :icon_pirat:

I own one and can't complain with the at price tag and success as well!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont like it....I love it....17 gold items since April. :icon_thumleft: :icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
It is not a bad detector but I don't like it. The sweep speed needed for accurate id of a coin with the same numbers are too fast for my liking. Mine doesn't want to give the same numbers on each pass so it can't ID well. Aside from that I like other detectors that don't have a screen and I had to give up my DFX also because of knees. I have lots of experience on other machines and just have no confidence on the AT PRO which has gone back twice. Once your spoiled by better detectors it is hard to love a red headed step child. But it is light weight and maybe I just need more time with it, but time is the only thing you never get back.
There is something wrong with your AT pro.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I use it the more impressed I am with it's capabilities. Be patient and listen to what the machine is trying to tell you.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
For a detector that has gone back twice you'd think it would operate well. I have other units that blow the ATP out of the water, but what do you expect from that price point.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
awful hard to build up any kind of confidence in any md, when you have to keep sending it in to get it fixed

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The pro makes hitting and old trashy park seem like..well...A walk in the park! Never used a machine that "handles the iron" like the pro. But I know there are goods and bads with 'em all. I like mine. Alot. I am most impressed with stability over iron trash and cinders, and its ability to hit hard on non-ferrous items in heavy trash. This is using the big dd, I have not tried the other coils. For the price, it is IMO a bit underated. I would not use it in trash free environments, like out in the old abandoned park or long forgotten CW campsite, it is not a full bore deep machine. Maybe with a big 12" concentric it could run with the big boys.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffer said:
awful hard to build up any kind of confidence in any md, when you have to keep sending it in to get it fixed

Sniffer, you may be right, but having confidence in the manufacturer that they will do everything they can in a timely manner to fix the problem should help. And also, not EVERY AT Pro has had problems. I have a early production machine that has been flawless. I did send it in for upgrades, but not for any issues.

Again, not trying to disrespect anyone who has had trouble, but I honestly think it was a minority issue. If Garrett would release the information, I'd guess the troubled detectors were very few...

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
no company will tell you how many returns they've had on any product, unless it becomes a recall issue.
so how can you tell how many have been returned, returned for repair, or returned due to manufacturer defect? you just don't know. I'm not picking on Garrett, I just bought my daughter an Ace 250, all I'm saying is, it's hard to have confidence in ANY company, when you have to return what you bought

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
For a detector that has gone back twice you'd think it would operate well. I have other units that blow the ATP out of the water, but what do you expect from that price point.
Sorry your AT is not working properly....more expensive does not mean better detector,surprised you don't know that. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
Sorry your AT is not working properly....more expensive does not mean better detector,surprised you don't know that. :dontknow:
Geez, you think I didn't know that. :tongue3: I had a friend send mine and his back and they should be back soon. Maybe I won't have to tie a cinder block to it and take it for a short boat ride after all. Maybe I should buy another one and take the old one out to target practice. But I won't and just use the better detectors if it comes back sick again.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is deep , it seems to discriminate in bad ground and trashy conditions well. The more I use it the better I like it.

I never learned to love my Etrac, And I still like my XLT, just haven't used it since I got the At. But I am crazy about my Excal II at the beach (but not my AT).

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
For the folks that got a crapper, like me, it seems to suck, but anything can happen. I did not give up on Garrett because I know the deal. It has a two year warranty anyway so I dont really get too upset, I just keep going until I am satisfied just like every other red blooded american consumer. If all else fails, get your money back. So I gave it a fighting chance and had a brand spanking new one, factory sealed, shipped to me from the factory, factory sealed, by the factory, factory sealed, it had an unmistakeable tamper proof factory seal, four straps wrapped around it like a tic tac toe heat sealed, totally tamper proof, if it was opened, you would know for sure, because a factory seal is a factory seal, true tested grade A goods shipping out to valued customer, factory sealed and guaranteed. My first unit which was not factory sealed and poorly taped indicating non-virgin goods did not work and that burned my ass like a banshee. Okay, I just learned to not trust dealer "x" who lied to me and said all units drop ship to the customer from the factory. Big lie. I called the factory and the factory broke both legs and did a back flip to make me happy, which they surely did. The atpro is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. But it kicks butt in the old trashy turf. That's the buttom line.

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
For the folks that got a crapper, like me, it seems to suck, but anything can happen. I did not give up on Garrett because I know the deal. It has a two year warranty anyway so I dont really get too upset, I just keep going until I am satisfied just like every other red blooded american consumer. If all else fails, get your money back. So I gave it a fighting chance and had a brand spanking new one, factory sealed, shipped to me from the factory, factory sealed, by the factory, factory sealed, it had an unmistakeable tamper proof factory seal, four straps wrapped around it like a tic tac toe heat sealed, totally tamper proof, if it was opened, you would know for sure, because a factory seal is a factory seal, true tested grade A goods shipping out to valued customer, factory sealed and guaranteed. My first unit which was not factory sealed and poorly taped indicating non-virgin goods did not work and that burned my ass like a banshee. Okay, I just learned to not trust dealer "x" who lied to me and said all units drop ship to the customer from the factory. Big lie. I called the factory and the factory broke both legs and did a back flip to make me happy, which they surely did. The atpro is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. But it kicks butt in the old trashy turf. That's the buttom line.

Great tip, I will be checking mine out on Tuesday when it arrives.. If not wrapped as you describe then there will be some phone calls made.. I was assured the same thing you were told.. Thanks, great info..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
lookindown said:
Sandman said:
Geez, you think I didn't know that. :tongue3: I had a friend send mine and his back and they should be back soon. Maybe I won't have to tie a cinder block to it and take it for a short boat ride after all. Maybe I should buy another one and take the old one out to target practice. But I won't and just use the better detectors if it comes back sick again.
I knew you knew that Sandman.....I just took a shot at you because I like my AT so much....I respect you and all the good info you give on here.....good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread