okay guys... need some input....

metalman709

Jan 5, 2011
georgia
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola
i've narrowed down my choices between the at pro and the tesoro tiger shark and i am going to get one or the other this saturday.....both have pro's and con's about them ..... problem is i just can't seem to make up my mind.... i'm mostly a coin shooter not having a knack for relic hunting and i am after one of these machines to start some water hunting this spring and i plan on doing quite a bit....i'm about to drive myself crazy trying to decide!!!! so this is what i have come up with...given the choice, which one would you choose??? don't have to give a reason or rhyme just put one or the other and the one with the most votes by saturday will help me determine which one i'll buy!!!! thanks for playing and i'll also post this on the tesoro page as well.....

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metalman709 said:
i've narrowed down my choices between the at pro and the tesoro tiger shark and i am going to get one or the other this saturday.....both have pro's and con's about them ..... problem is i just can't seem to make up my mind.... i'm mostly a coin shooter not having a knack for relic hunting and i am after one of these machines to start some water hunting this spring and i plan on doing quite a bit....i'm about to drive myself crazy trying to decide!!!! so this is what i have come up with...given the choice, which one would you choose??? don't have to give a reason or rhyme just put one or the other and the one with the most votes by saturday will help me determine which one i'll buy!!!! thanks for playing and i'll also post this on the tesoro page as well.....

Salt or fresh water?

If salt, I'd say the tiger shark. If fresh, the at-pro can't be beat. Just watch Aquachigger's youtube vids and you will drool.

bzepol8

Dec 3, 2010
Folsom, ca
Detector(s) used
deus, tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a true story:

I was in your same dilema a year ago. Which to choose? My local detector dealer, Larry, from Big Valley metal detectors, showed me a demo in his shop. He put a quarter under a eye shadow container he had filled with hematite--black sand for us non-geologists. It was about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of black sand. The Tiger shark could not read that quarter when he passed that cointainer in front of the coil---but the AT pro sounded off loud and clear. But, I just had to have that Tiger Shark because the PRO was new out and I wanted a detector with a solid reputation. Moral? I never found anything deeper than 3 or 4 inches with the Shark. Best find was a .925 thin ring with a tiny Lapis Lazuli stone in it. In a kiddie park , no less. I'm sure it is a fine detector, but as soon as I saw that little black sand demo, the choice was clear. I sold the Shark and bought a ATP. I'm not knocking Tesoro. In fact, I bought a Sand Shark today.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The answer to your question is not as cut and dried as you would like it to be.
The two machines are quite different to each other.

The Tiger Shark is a good basic VLF TR Discriminator that has a salt mode (of sorts) and is Water proof to much greater depth than the AT Pro and if you are going to be in the water a lot this is significant.
The salt mode is not brilliant in the wet sand but is fine in the dry. This machine does not have the full discriminating capability as the AT Pro (Less Bells and Whistles) but is a solid reliable detector that is happier on dry land and in fresh water streams and lakes.

The AT Pro has more usefull Discrimination features, is very sensitive, plus a ground balance that can tune out salt making it more stable in the saltwater beaches and wet sand. This machine is only Water proof to 10 feet so you will still have to be carefull with it in the water.

If I had to choose between these two detectors I would likely choose the AT Pro because I no longer go out into deep water and that's about my only reason; They are both good detectors.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your mostly a coin shooter on dry land the AT PRO should be your choice. Besides all the reasons Adrain gave, the AT PRO has a pinpoint button while the Tiger does not. On the sand or shallow water where pinpointing isn't as important because your using some kind of scoop, the Tiger Shark will do nicely. I've never had to send the Tesoro back for any warranty work while the Garrett has been back three times. Maybe it isn't a bad detector but banged around in shipping. The Tiger doesn't have a screen if that is important to you. I find it useless as if it beeps I'll dig it.

Good luck on which ever you buy. Buy one of each as a back up is useful too. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread