GTP 1350 trashy area custom settings?

Kosh

Dec 4, 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to get some pointers on setting up my GTP 1350 with some custom settings for trashy areas.

I live in upstate New York and while we have a ton of cellar holes ( at least 100 cellar holes within a 20 minute drive from my home) and other great colonial sites most of them are absolutely riddled with trash. Most of it is old junk iron like rusted pieces of fencing or pots and pans and so on. Many targets I find are in holes that have numerous things in them, one hole 10" by 10" might have 5 targets in it, 4 old rusted nails and one decent thing. I have two sites right now that I have permission to hunt and I KNOW there has got to be some decent coins sitting there waiting to be dug but my GTP 1350 goes nuts. Almost anywhere on the sites the detector goes crazy because there are so many targets in the ground. There are paint cans, old canned goods cans and the like all over the surface of the ground. My plan is to clean up what I can see visibly and put it in a pile or haul it away at my own expense. After that though the ground is still littered with iron so what do I do?

So while I have read and understand the instruction manual fairly well I was really hoping to get some tips from those of you who have done the experimentation already and could pass along some wisdom. Thanks for taking the time to read.

KOSH

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
A a sniper coil might give you an advantage, allowing you to get in between some of those trash signals. Another way is to move a lot of that iron trash out of the way which might be masking some good targets. The GTP is a good machine, and if the good targets are there, it will definitely pick them up. Good luck with those cellar holes.

John

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
You probably know most of this but here goes.
When you have an area that is "trashy", you have too many targets under the coil's EM field for the circuitry to be able to identify any one target. The detector will give mixed signals; the triangle jumping back and forth between two target indicators. One item may mask another; a large target is above or near a smaller target and all the detector will see is the larger item. This is when the "dig all targets" people are correct. When we remove the larger target, we can detect the smaller item, but only if we recheck the hole.
OK, now to your question about settings. After digging up numerous pull tabs, roofing nails etc and remembering the numbers that are below the triangular indicator; we can notch out the most offending item or items. This is when you hit the Accept/Reject button. The triangular indicator shows up somewhere above the squares that are above the numbers (1 to 12). Hit the + (plus) or - (minus) to move that triangle above the number of an offending item. Then hit the Accept/Reject button. The square below the triangle will go away. Repeat this for any other targets you want to ignore. This will modify the screen that you are currently using (Coins, Relics, Jewelry, Zero or Custom). All of these carefully crafted changes will go away when you power down the detector. If you would like to retain the changes, make them in the Custom screen. The Custom screen will keep the changes when you power down so you can go back to the trashy site in the future. Don't let anyone tell you that this reduces the sensitivity. When you are swinging the coil you can see the triangle show up over the missing square, the detector just doesn't sound off when the square is missing.
OK, having said all that about settings, we'll talk about coils. A smaller coil, like the Sniper, has a smaller EM field, shaped like a bowl stuck to the bottom of the coil, looking into the ground. Being a smaller field it may only see one item at a time eliminating the jumpy signals. Using the smallest DD coil you can get is best thing you can do. The DD coil puts out an EM field that is shaped like a half discus stuck under the coil. Since the field is smaller it can detect items close to one another. The ultimate would be if we 1350 owners could buy a 5X8 DD coil, currently the smallest DD we can buy is an 8.5X11. I'm hoping that Garrett will make the smaller one available for us...

OP
OP
Kosh

Kosh

Dec 4, 2011
Saratoga Springs, New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to go ahead and order a sniper coil and a pin pointer. This should give me a better chance of digging less trash. The sniper will help with over grown sites as well.

If I were to dig every target on these sites (The two I have permission for) I would spend all day in a 10'X10' area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread