Going Wireless With Garrett Metal Detectors

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
WIRELESSHEADSET.jpg

I recently purchased a wireless headset, my 3rd type and am very pleased with the audio response. There seems to be little if any time lag with signals which my other wireless sets seemed to have. The headset is light, and the transmitter is nice and small. I tried it on my GTI 2500, Master Hunter CX, GTP 1350, Scorpion, ACE 250, Infinium and AT Gold. It worked well on all Garretts that I own. I turned on the ProPointer, and it has does not sound off any audio with the metal detectors.

The AT series detectors must have an inline volume control, or else the speaker will also sound off with the wireless headset turned on. All the other Garrett detectors did NOT require the inline volume control.

I like using this set up in the woods, where bushes, saplings and branches tend to get caught in the headset wire. It is also good to use if hunting tot lots and kids are running around sometimes also getting caught in the headset cord, to the point of tearing the wires right out.

You may try some dealers to see if they carry these, or you will just have to shop around.......

Another winter project completed to fight off cabin fever. :)

Attachments

• rev.jpg
    rev.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,828

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Going Wireless - Question for you John

I recently picked up a pair of the TDK 700 wireless headphones to use on my AT Gold. They work...but the signal/sound also emits from the metal detectors internal speaker as well. I have the adapter from Garrett and it and the headphones work fine on my Infinium. Another thing I noticed was that I continued to get responses from both the detector and headphones when the target was close to the coil, but when I moved the coil away about 10", the signal only came from the headphones. Ideas?

Oops! Saw the in-line volume requirement to late!

mineron

Oct 2, 2011
Gold Bearing MNTS
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a pretty good idea to get rid of the wire being in the way or eliminate breakage. I am looking for something that can be plugged in to eliminate headphones completely. A simple sounder an inch long or so, plugged into the headphone socket. Maybe a vibration button that vibrates the shaft where you hold it instead of sound. The fingers are very sensitive to vibration. A little unit with blinking lights between the unit and the coil so you could see it. For my Infinium it would be say, a green light for the high tones and a red light for the low tones. If I can't find something like these then I may give the wireless headphones a try, thanks for the info.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Wireless headphones can have advantages and they have a built in amplifier if audio boost is needed.
Because we here in the tropics have temperatures which often make wearing headphones sweaty and uncomfortable the wireless ones are worn around the neck as external speakers.
As has been observed the Garrett AT series require an audio signal impedance change to prevent the speaker in the control box from being activated while using the wireless setup, it's easy to build into an angle adapter or extension wire adapter.
The transmitter can also be retained in a waterproof bag/container if water hunting is to take place.

AUVIO headphones have No audio lag, the transmitter is small and have inbuilt rechargable batteries with 2 x AAA in the headphone cup.
TDK WR700 have a very slight audio lag, but is convenient as both transmitter and receiver can use rechargable AAA battery cells.

WirelessHeadphones_800.jpg

Wireless-HP-Speakers.jpg

ivanll

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011
hello from germany,

we discuss the TDK 700 wireless headphones on our german board (http://www.bodenfundforum.com/index.php?showtopic=46409).
Lots of people say, that the headphones have a half-second delay and are not usable. But most of them didnt use Detectors from Garrett, they use Fisher or Whites.

Is the audio lag really about a half-second? Are the TDK´s really usable on the AT Pro?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread