AT Pro coil question

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tomorrow, I will be hunting some private property in vicksburg where the union seige lines were..I have the stock 8.5x11 and the 9x12 coils. There are high ridges w/ very little trash and the flat ground b/t the ridges in 2 yards contains some trash..Use the larger coil for the ridges? Have hunted here once b/f w/ a inferior detector and still found minie ball, buck and ball and a piece of artillery shell. Just got the AT Pro a month ago and love it...Appreciate any advice I can get..Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Low trash, go with the concentric, a bit deeper. Do a good gb too. Run as high sense as you can.
Gleaner is right and I can't add to it. Have fun and good luck.

Sandman

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
This is a more generic response to a similar question. Maybe you can get a little more some critical thinking from this:

"In soil with little mineralization, the concentric coil should appx. equal the DD as far as depth goes. The DD coil may be slightly better for isolating a good target amongst some trashy areas or masking from another target due to it's distinct fine center line for isolating targets. But....all DD's read most bottle caps as coins, whereas the concentric coil will more often read it as a bottle cap or iron. Of course the iron audio will help on both coils. The concentric coil does a better job pinpointing, especially if pinpointing off the toe or heel of the coil. This becomes more of an issue when hunting nice manicured lawns where a small hole (plug) is really appreciated. Because of my low mineralization where I hunt, the large concentric coil is my first choice, especially for hunting parks and sports fields for coins and rings. It covers a large area much faster then a smaller coil, and can be as sensitive to all targets as I want to make it with set up. The precise pinpointing allows me to either pinpoint and pop the targets out of the ground quickly, but sometimes I use the Propointer to help. I try not to use a digger, as it slows me down and makes bigger holes, which are frowned upon by the users of sports fields, maintenance departments or land owners. But, in real trashy areas, it's always better to use a smaller coil, as too many targets at once under a coil can sometimes mask good targets, but then again, the AT Series seem to somehow still give a hint of audio of that good target beside or under junk."

The link below has some excellent information on search-coils

.http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet.aspx

Attachments

• pinpointing.jpg
    pinpointing.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 267
  • pinpointing.jpg
    pinpointing.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 288

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread