is the AT PRO worth the money

masterofdisaster

Jan 24, 2012
Ionia,michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got one last week..took it out in the snow and detected with it.. got two clad dimes at a frozen beach, then went to the fairgrounds and got to pennys at 6 inches....i love it..great machine for the price..

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Absolutely! It will meet and beat metal detectors costing 2 x as much PLUS it is water proof also. :hello2:

stevewa

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2005
La Pine, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 for coins/jewelry, Makro Gold Racer for Gold Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the video in the previous post.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I didn't think so as I got one of the early ones. Garrett fixed it and it still seemed squirrelly. A friend bought me a new one and this is like night and day. I like it but can't say if it is deeper yet. I have to get used to not looking at the screen while wading this summer.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got mine late PM on Friday 2/24. Got it out Saturday for awhile, within the first four feet of swinging my new detector bing, bing , bing, and dug a ring. Went to a tot lot picked up $1.50 clad, and today got out again picked up 2 more rings, two wheats, and about $3.00 in clad. I really like it so far, going to take some training to learn the curve, especially after using a DFX for last 5 years. Not sure If I will leave the DFX for good, but having fun with the AT Pro so far.

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the AT Pro for about four months and absolutely love it. I've found a ton of cool stuff with it(CW relics silver, gold, etc). Simple to use, Remembers your setting, and goes fairly deep. Best of all you can hunt in the rain when others are at home!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
John-Edmonton said:
Absolutely! It will meet and beat metal detectors costing 2 x as much PLUS it is water proof also. :hello2:
Oh yes John is telling you the truth here.............It will meet and beat metal detector's costing 2x as much....................

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The atpro is worth the money, but I only paid 500 for mine. Street price is too much. There are plenty of machines old and new that beat it in the depth department. The pro has good performance in iron trash, it handles it well.

OP
OP
thumper

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments.....i am going to purchase a new detector in the near future and am leaning towards the at pro....i like that its waterproof to 10 ft. and by the reviews it is good at picking out good targets in trashy areas such as parks. I'm not looking for a top of the line machine...budget restraints right now....but want a decent machine. a friend has a ding...ding ace 250.....honestly it don't impress me...i'm using an old bounty hunter 2000 from radio shack and it does as good as his ace.... the last year or so all iv'e read on here and garrett forums is that the 250 is so good.....just don't want to spend 6 bills on something that doesn't do more that the 250 0r 350 except get wet. I want a screen to glance at...vdi is a cool tool i think...depth meter is a good plus....my machine don't get more than 3 or 4 inches mostly in this va. soil and neither did my friends 250...i have dug coins at 7 inches in woodchips....cans at 10...but not in soil....

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thumper said:
....my machine don't get more than 3 or 4 inches mostly in this va. soil and neither did my friends 250...

I'm not going to try to discourage you from an AT Pro, I love mine. I see you are in the mountains of Virginia. Is your soil very mineralized? If it is, then you may want to think about the AT Gold or a Pulse Induction machine. Unfortunately, no VLF machine is going to go much deeper than about 4" or 5" in really hot soil, but the AT Gold is designed for Gold detection and it may work better since it's designed for hotter ground and has additional features for hot soil. John-Edmonton may be able to expand on it better than I since he's used both. Ground balancing is important to get the most out of your machine, but if the soil is really hot, then a Pulse Induction machine may be what you really need to get to those deeper targets. Check out the Garrett Infinium or a White's TDI PI machines... You'll dig more iron trash, but you'll also dig more deep (10"+) targets. Those PI machines are really popular for relic hunting in bad soils....

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with what Dwight said in his post. Maybe you could find other detectorists in your area, see what they're using thats working for them.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use manual ground balance, STD mode, coins prgm, iron totally rejected, sensitivity 7. Within about an hour after switching to manual ground balance I found a very tilted quater at 4", then the next loud beep was a clad dime at 7" in a park detected hundreds of times & dime probably sat there 20-30+ years as dirt is hard & somewhat mineralized.

I was amazed that the 7" dime gave a high tone every sweep & numerical ID always 8-85 range indicating dime. Deepest dime ever dug as I only dig probable coin beeps. Deepest dime that IDed properly with Ace 250 was only 4". Most detectors here only give proper ID on dime to 3 to 5 inches. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread