Does anyone know how to discriminate IRON with the Sea Hunter?

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is my dilema. I have been now been in this great hobby (addiction) for almost two months. I have the Sea Hunter (bought it in January with both coils.) I live on Indian Rocks Beach in SW Florida, between Clearwater and St. Pete Beach. I am getting better using the Sea Hunter after reading one of Clive's books and lots of practice. I still haven't found one thing of value. Now the Sea Hunter will definitely go deeper than ANY other machine NO doubt. I generally start off running it at zero elimination, standard trash and threshold at about 3 for a nice steady low tone. I also use the larger coil. I swear I found a piece of iron the size of a fingernail clipping about 16" down in the wet sand. Talk about frustrating!!! Iron litters Indian Rocks beach mostly from an old shipwreck years ago. If I can ever figure out how to discriminate against IRON I will be one happy camper, because I believe without a doubt the Sea Hunter goes WAAAYYYY deeper than the Excalibur. I dug for about 15 minutes last week in the wet sand with the ocean starting to fill in some of my hole. I dug about 2 feet with my stainless steel tip RTG scoop and came up with an 8" rusty pipe. Depth is NO problem for the Sea Hunter. But what is the difference in the IRON sounds? Now when I hear a beep at zero elimination I tune the knobs from 5 to 8 on elimation and put it in the discrete trash mode like the book says to get rid of pull tabs and concentrate on gold and it either goes dead or it is a double beep. I can live with pull tabs on my beach but iron liters 90 percent of my digs. I love my sea hunter, but am thinking about getting the Sovereign GT also, because it notch's out iron.
Anyone with real advice on eliminating iron?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are using a double edged sword. Extreme deep depths with the Sea Hunter and it loves iron, the rustier the better. That is why some of us got tired of all that digging and went to a Sov GT or Excal. I don't think there is any adjustment you can make to it to disc iron and still keep the depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread