how deep are you finding coins with ace 250

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i would commonly hit copper cents and dimes at 8 inches with my ace 250 * but i had mild low mineral soil -- what sensitivity / power level are you using bars wize and how are the soil conditions in your area minerals wize?
this was with 4 to 5 bars of sensitivity.

also what disc level are you using (what do you have "notched" out ) i often used the custom mode setting

also which coil are you using? sniper or standard ?

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 4.5" with my sniper, anytime in regular soil on coin sized objects..Plus can detect right up to, and around poles, fences, etc....If you have a regular size coil you should be getting over 4.5" in regular conditions.....I have dug large objects pretty deep even with the small coil....I have messed up back, so the sniper is like heaven for me weight wise..Good luck, Tom

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Like most detectors, mineralization will cause some problem with depth & even more with ID accuracy & stability. Deepest dime that IDed as dime with Ace 250 I had was 4". Just started using AT Pro & found 7" deep dime that IDed correctly. Best wishes, George (MN)

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soil is pretty mellow where I am at, now just a hundred miles away, or less it is full of iron, which really throws the ol girl..The soil up there is red looking...Here we have sandy loam, clay type soil..Easy to detect in..Makes a big difference as was said above....HH.Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep red clay has lots of iron in it * so notch out "iron" objects as a start =--then only run as much bars as you can without losing stabilty * -- in rough iron conditions --or high mineral (salt water beaches and other places)/ high emf areas (around high powerlines) --often one has to lower the sensitivity ( power / signal output ) to about 3 bars to do work -- this of course will limit the depth you can get but under crappy conditions its all you can do with the ace 250 frankly -- note these types of issues will effect just about any "preset" ground balance machine regardless of "brand name" --its a basic preset ground balance machine type issue

schlepprock

Jun 28, 2007
West Central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2000, White's Prism 6T and Coin Getter, Tesoro De'leon and a BH Quick Draw II
Here we have sandy loam, clay type soil..Easy to detect in..Makes a big difference as was said above....HH.Tom
[/quote]

Every time I've gotten my best depths it was in clay type soil. Unfortunately a lot of the soil around me is black or dark brown with lots of minerals (good garden soil) which gives me grief with both depth and causing my GTI's to act somewhat erratic sometimes.

With my Garrett's I'd rather search clay type soil anytime over any other.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hit lots of dimes at 8" with my ACE 250. For some reason it just seems to like dimes but that's OK 'cause I like finding them! Most of my coin shoots are closer to 4" average I'd guess, but it will get down further if I really listen close. I have had my 250 ever since they first came out and have lots of experience with it. Not sure if it's luck or skill but being familiar with your machine really seems to help! Monty

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have hit lots of dimes at 8" with my ACE 250. For some reason it just seems to like dimes but that's OK 'cause I like finding them! Most of my coin shoots are closer to 4" average I'd guess, but it will get down further if I really listen close. I have had my 250 ever since they first came out and have lots of experience with it. Not sure if it's luck or skill but being familiar with your machine really seems to help! Monty
The last sentence is true...I just found an 1888 Liberty V this morning at 6-7 inches

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
I have very easily dug penny's and dimes to over 6 inches and quarters to over 8 inches. Of course there was no mineralization here in southern Louisiana.

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
When it comes to detection depth there are lots of variables, many of them mentioned above. As to soil mineralization, moisture, salt content (if at a beach), settings and notching; I'll leave those to your experimentation. The main factor in depth detection is the size of the coil. The bigger the coil the deeper it will detect. When I'm expecting something deep (or hoping for something deep!), I use the largest coil I have. There is a tradeoff when going large on the coil. The smaller coil will see the smaller targets as well as the large ones. I have found a 1 mm diameter gold sphere with the small coil, the large coil doesn't even acknowledge the existence of that small of a target. It does see dimes so I'm happy to use it when searching deep. In general a bigger coil equals more depth since the search field is larger. Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread