brctom1

Feb 4, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a small lot in town with a rental house that has been in my family for close to 70 years and has never been MD'ed.
There used to be (many years ago) a metal foundry a block away.
The foundry, when it was still in operation, used to spew a lot of iron dust out of the smokestack, and the stuff would blow all over the neighborhood.
It was so bad that when you got up in the morning, you'd have to wash your cars immediately, or the iron dust would rust in the dew that settled on the cars paint.
I have hunted the park that is across the street from my property, and in the park my AT G.B.'s at around 90 to 92.
My question is, should I drop or raise the G.B. manually a couple of points to help with my detecting...?

Thanks in advance for your time & expertise !

Tom

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
brctom1 said:
I own a small lot in town with a rental house that has been in my family for close to 70 years and has never been MD'ed.
There used to be (many years ago) a metal foundry a block away.
The foundry, when it was still in operation, used to spew a lot of iron dust out of the smokestack, and the stuff would blow all over the neighborhood.
It was so bad that when you got up in the morning, you'd have to wash your cars immediately, or the iron dust would rust in the dew that settled on the cars paint.
I have hunted the park that is across the street from my property, and in the park my AT G.B.'s at around 90 to 92.
My question is, should I drop or raise the G.B. manually a couple of points to help with my detecting...?

Thanks in advance for your time & expertise !

Tom
Here in N.E. Ohio mine always ground balances at 90.. And i just hunt with it like that it seem's to do good for me........... Never raised or lowered it... Were are you loacated ??

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to the higher side to reduce sensitivity to spotty iron ground effects. Go to the lower side to gain sensitivity to spotty iron ground effects and stuff.

OP
OP
B

brctom1

Feb 4, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy & Gleaner1,Thanks for the reply !

I am in Mich. down by the state line.

I hunted there yesterday for a little while, and G.B.'ed as usual (91), and had to adj. the sensitivity down 2 notches.
My AT would "Chatter" when I would lay it down to dig. After making that adjustment, it seemed to work OK.
I assume that I loose a little depth when dropping the sens....?

Thanks again for the reply !
Tom

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Keppy, keep it at dead gb, you will not see much advantage tweaking it. More importantly do not reduce sensitivity due to chattering that occurs when the coil is off the turf, such as when laying the machine down to pinpoint, or lifting the coil to navigate some nasty brush. Coil off the ground is an unnatural state of operation for the pro or any machine, anything can happen, chatter, random beeps, all kinds of audio will happen, especially in areas with power lines. Chatter is a sens issue, not a gb issue.

OP
OP
B

brctom1

Feb 4, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply & advice !

Tom

Starsystemx

Apr 8, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ACE 350, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also wouldn't hurt to change the frequency and see if that makes any difference in case it isn't only that grounding conds causing it.

OP
OP
B

brctom1

Feb 4, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx ! I will try freq. adjust. next time I am there.
I assume this was from Plillip....?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread