AT Pro Wireless Headphones

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my new AT Pro last week, and it's a pretty wicked machine! I got it as a back-up to my ETrac to use in bad weather, but my girlfriend pretty much claimed it now after taking it out Sunday and finding a silver (stamped 925) Irish Claddaugh ring, an old brass Army button, a matchbox car, and some clad, including a silver quarter, in about an hour at a local old park. It was pretty sick!

Today I got in the 'Garrett headphones adapter kit' which is very popular.
I didn't get it to run another set of wired headphones.
The stock Garrett headphones are actually very good!
I got it to run a set of Auvio 33-283 wireless 2.4 mhz headphones set. I have used them with my ETrac and they are really good and they are under $80! not like a $300 Whites wireless system.

The adapter and wireless system tucks VERY NICELY under the detector and out of the way, doesn't get snagged, and the fit is so tight that I have to put a little effort pulling them apart, which helps me know that a small snag won't pull the transmitter off. very good news!

The Auvio system is:
2.4 mhz, NOT bluetooth, so there is NO lag...
Will not interfere with any detector frequencies...
a 20-25 foot range. I put my detector down, walked to my car about 20 ft away, & still heard detector...
both transmitter and headphones are rechargable, at same time, with a split cable...
IF using the rechargables, the lit Auvio logos go from 'blinking' to 'steady' to show a full charge...
1-2 hour charge will get you 12-15 hours on the set...
rechargable batteries can be changed out, and the headphones can use normal batteries too...there is a switch in the headphones for 'rechargables-or-regular'...
very light and very well made. I was impressed on my first pair...

I did this mod using ONLY what came with the AT Pro and the headphones adapter kit, nothing else!...

I routed the headphones adapter kit under the AT Pro using the included jack clip and the stock clip that comes under the arm rest of the AT Pro...

Pics I included are with the headphones adapter kit from the side and bottom without the wireless mod... and pics of the transmitter plugged in and the headphones...

There is also a 1/8 to 1/4" adapter between the adapter kit and the Auvio transmitter, as seen in the pics (Walmart $4), which is needed on pretty much all headphone mods. 1/4" is the standard plug for metal detector headphones jacks and most wireless sets and headphones have the standard (newer) 1/8 jack that can plug into Ipods, stereos, etc...

It's nice to go wireless and not have to worry about wires being snagged or putting the detector down and digging and not worrying about pulling it over or being tethered to it...

Attachments

• AT Pro mod 1.jpg
    AT Pro mod 1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 754
  • AT Pro mod 2.jpg
    AT Pro mod 2.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 4,184
  • AT Pro mod 3.jpg
    AT Pro mod 3.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,256
  • AT Pro mod 4.jpg
    AT Pro mod 4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,076

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that set up would like to do it to my AT Pro, where did you buy the set up from, I already have the adaptor for the ear phones?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

weh2235

Feb 12, 2014
West Point, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW, Way Cool, Thanks for the info, My task is clear ! wayne

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great set up on the wireless and thanks for the info. Congrats on the finds that your GF made with the ATP - my ATP is my reliable go to machine and has enough depth.

Texas ED

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like this Auvio model doesn't exist no more. Looked it up on different websites but nothing is available! Even something similar different brands and nothing!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Auvios have been discontinued and out of stock for at least two years, so most of you will not be make the nice set up that Viddy has. Occasionally a set shows up on ebay or forums for sale but they are very hard to find. When I heard about them they were already discontinued but I searched Radio Shack's site and found a new set in a nearby store, and bought another set slightly used from another forum member. Only thing I dislike is they require an AAA battery so I have to carry yet another size spare battery in my hunting bag.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look OK but there is some delay and why are they three times what the Auvios cost new? Sounds like Deteknix is into a little price gouging if Radio Shack could sell the Auvios for $35.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest drawback I see with the detectnex is the 6hrs run time which may not be sufficient in some cases. Batteries would have to be recharged vice replaced as in the auvios or spare li ion battery would have to be purchased, if accessible. Regarding price, for the auvios need to factor in the cost of the Garrett headphone adapter which ain't cheap (still overall probably cheaper than the Detectnex). They both appear to use same 2.4 ghz radio technology so I suspect that even though Detectnex advertises a delay, its still just as imperceptible as with the auvios (the nature of the technology means there will always tecnically be a delay, it will just likely not be perceptible).

Last edited:

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So these headphones operate at 2.4 mhz or GHz? I bet it is GHz as 2.4 mHz would probably interfere with your detector quite a bit. Bluetooth operates at 2.4 GHz also but in digital so if Auvio are 2.4 GHz and digital, I would say it is just a different bluetooth type protocol. That would also include latency in the audio path like bluetooth, but even the bluetooth latency is not noticeable by most people.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about connecting a bluetooth transmitter to the ATP and using bluetooth headphones? Will there be a lag/delay in audio? Somebody with expirience?

Last edited:

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't noticed any with my Land Ranger Pro. I hear the tones when the target is displayed on the screen, zero observed latency.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. Currently I have been using my ATP without headphones, reason is that they stoped working. But here's the thing. I connect the phones to the machine but obviously no audio through the headphones but the machine's speaker still works? Could it be faulty headphones or a faulty connector? The machine's jack probably? I sent my machine almost a year ago for a non working speaker. The headphones were already dead. So I don't know what truly is damaged!

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a friends working headphones and worked just fine on my machine. So basically it's faulty headphones then!

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently put together a bluetooth setup for my AT Gold and noticed a delay I would approximate to be about .5 of a second. I bought a $15 transmitter on Amazon and paired it first to my bluetooth earbud then later to bluetooth headphones and both were about the same with the delay. With the cheap transmitter I didn't expect much in regards to processing/transmit speed, but after figuring out the delay time, finding the target wasn't an issue at all.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using TDK WR 700 for a year, and just bought a back up pair. No lag, you need Kleer technology, not Bluetooth. They are also discontued but you can find them on Amazon and Ebay about $75...........worth every penny IMHO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread