2 Ladies with a President

Oldhunter67

Aug 21, 2009
Central, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV, Whites 6T, Garrett AT Pro ( Have used DFX, XLT, Fisher, Garretts )
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the new AT Pro out for its first introduction to C.N.Y. soil. Ground balance was a steady 88 and used the Pro coin mode. Was hunting a friends old farmhouse built in the late 1850's.
It looked promising as there are several trees on it at least 100 years old or better. Right off the bat I could tell this was going to be a long tedious day. A lot of buried iron on the grounds as the AT Pro let me know it. I dug a few of the 81's and 83's even tho I didn't feel they were good targets. They were what they were..pieces of iron about 1 inch by 1/2 inch wide and well rusted.
Kept at it for about 20 minutes or so and , bang , there it was a high tone , very loud and all by itself. I knew with a reading of 81 that this was a silver coin. It read 4 inches and so I took care and dug it. Pull the plug back and there it is..a nice 1943D Mercury dime. What a difference between the sound the iron made at 81 and the silver made at 81 you cannot miss the difference in tone.
Moving on another 15 minutes I received another nice tone at 4 inches and dug that..It read 73 and turned out to be a wheat cent whose date I haven't determined yet. Between talking with the land owner and metal detecting I had been there about an hour and a half. I was getting pressed for time and since I only live about a mile from the site I didn't bring anything to drink with me.
It was well into the 70's by the time 1:00 came and went and I was very thirsty. Decided to start a new area and spent about 5 minutes walking a grid pattern when the AT sounded of that sweet tone again this time reading 91-93 at at a depth of 8 inches. By the way I was using the 5x8 DD coil that came with the spring special. After pinpointing I cut a wider plug and ran into some roots that were about 1/2 inch diameter crisscrossing each other. Thankfully the Lesch has the gator teeth on it and I used them to cut the roots and bend them out of the way.
I honestly thought I was picking up roots that had absorbed iron over the years and was doubting if there was a coin in the hole. My Garrett pin pointer came into use as it kept indicating something was below the depth of the roots...so I kept digging. Dig, pinpoint, dig. pinpoint for about 5 minutes. I didn't want to make a mess out of his lawn either!!!..and I didn't want to gouge the target.
Pin pointer was very loud the last time and i scooped some dirt with my left hand. When I tossed it on the growing pile I saw the reeded edge of a big coin . Wow..bigger than a dime, bigger than a quarter what is it? Saw the Lady standing there and I knew I had a nice Standing Liberty half dollar.
I checked the date and it was 1920 with no mint mark. With that I decided to call it a day and go get that drink I was dying for. Going back within the next few days and continue the grid pattern I had been working. The Garrett AT Pro provided an interesting day for me as we got to know each other.
Love the machine as it is light and swings easy. Pin pointing is great and it talks to me in a way I understand. Now...on to the next adventure. I apologize that I didn't post a pic..Scratchin my head on the " how do ya do that part"...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread