Sniper Coil or 5x8 DD Coil. Which is better?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a 2nd coil for my Ace 350.

I know the Ace Sniper 4.5 was the best for high trash areas but is the new 5x8 DD better?

Personal experience and an explanation of your choice would also be helpful.
Thanks

I got this info from Garrett's website:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdf...ial_lowres.pdf

Here's a direct quote from it:
"5"x 8" DD PROformance
Submersible Searchcoil
is great for separating targets and is ideal for searching in trashy or iron infested search sites!
And tight places..."

And it is DD so it should have more depth than the sniper coil technology..right?

So wouldn't that make it better than the Sniper for searching in high trash areas?

Last edited:

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the sniper coil but did get a 5x8 dd coil with my AT Pro from Wayne and Doug at metal detecting stuff in Spring Texas. Doug met me at a neighborhood park and walked me through using my new AT Pro with the stock coil. At the end of the hunt, Doug and I took our AT Pros to a sand filled tot lot also at the park and we both recovered several coins. A few days later I returned to this same tot lot but used my smaller 5X8 coil. I was able to recover targets that both of the larger coils missed due to trash. It is easy to pinpoint with and seperates the targets really well. I got another lower rod pole and mounted the smaller coil to it so swapping coils is simple. I take mine with me all of the time and use it to miss what others have left behind. Well worth the investment.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Both are excellent coils and sensitive to tiny targets. The 5 x 8 Will get you a little more depth, especially in higher mineralized areas. But the sniper coil can get right up close to metal, such as play equipment, chain link fences and rebar, much closer then the 5 x 8 coil.

OP
OP
Ace350

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are excellent coils and sensitive to tiny targets. The 5 x 8 Will get you a little more depth, especially in higher mineralized areas. But the sniper coil can get right up close to metal, such as play equipment, chain link fences and rebar, much closer then the 5 x 8 coil.

Ok, I think I get it now. As usual, it looks like a trade off of one or the other depending on the specific areas you hunt.

So would you recommend:
The Ace 350 Sniper coil for high trash places like playgrounds with lots of equiptment and bleachers.
The Ace 5x8 DD PRoformance coil for high trash places like parks and beaches with mostly open ground.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt know on the 5x8 i dont own that coil i have a nel big 15x17 and the super sniper for my 350 and the super sniper is super small and it takes alot of work to cover ground with a 4 inch coil but ive used it about 6 times so far and ive been happy with the way it can pick targets out of the trash...1 thing i didnt like was it would ring dead on a nickel and id get a pull tab so i dont dig many nickel signals with it

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered the question ace350 in your last post. I know the 5x8 DD coil on my At Pro does not vary on the target ID-s as compared with the stock larger DD coil. I am really happy with mine and can get pretty darn close to things; much closer than the stock coil. But where it really shines is its ability to cull the trash so to speak. I have a small park that I hunt and there is an area where the trash overwhelms the good stuff using the larger coil. But using the 5X8 I can slow way down and pick through the trash.I know others that I have hunted with walk past this area with their stock coils due to the trash. I can come back and get what they miss.

Guess there are not any folks that have both; its an "either or" issue.

OP
OP
Ace350

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I guess I got my answer.
Thanks for the input guys.

gradechecker69

Jul 2, 2012
Southern OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT-Pro, Sovereign Elite and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as not digging those nickel signals IMHO It would bother me to much not to dig them because I don't want to take the chance of missing GOLD!!!!!! GL and HH

OP
OP
Ace350

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply guys.............four months after I asked the question.

By the way, I upgraded to an AT-Pro and got the Spring 2 coil special. I am very happy with the 5x8 coil.
Happy hunting
Ace

Last edited:

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply guys.............four months after I asked the question.

By the way, I upgraded to an AT-Pro and got the Spring 2 coil special. I am very happy with the 5x8 coil.
Happy hunting
Ace

Good choice!

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my AT Pro.... Even though I find alot of great stuff with my T2 SE, I feel the AT Pro deals with my highly mineralized soil a little better.

SeekerProB

Nov 16, 2018
South East Alabama
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Began with Bounty Hunter, Now have AT Pro and AT Max.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldnt know on the 5x8 i dont own that coil i have a nel big 15x17 and the super sniper for my 350 and the super sniper is super small and it takes alot of work to cover ground with a 4 inch coil but ive used it about 6 times so far and ive been happy with the way it can pick targets out of the trash...1 thing i didnt like was it would ring dead on a nickel and id get a pull tab so i dont dig many nickel signals with it

I know this is an old thread, but I just got an at pro. Currently using the 5×8. I have figured out that a real nickel signal is more solid with very little chatter if any. Pull tabs tend to have a chatter with them. Dig it anyway.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also know this is an old thread, but Its new to me..I have 3 coils for my Ace 250, and the sniper rules in the fact that I can get up against a chain link fence, and not have issues, Found a pretty little ruby ring that way in a dugout at a softball field...The sniper stays on the Ace 250...It is so easy to get around trash, and the target is ALWAYS centered under the "X"...I use the 250 like that exclusively, and use my Pro AT with the larger coils.. Have them all on Their own shafts, so change out is a breeze..The 11x15 (I think it is) is a bit heavy, and throws the balance off on the Pro, so it is seldom used...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread