AT Pro - Your opinion?

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got my first sterling thimble, crushed flat as a pancake, in the lawn of my friends old house, three inches deep. This lawn is loaded with coal cinder and iron crap and trash all over from years of burning rubbish. No prob for the pro. Pic not available, too lazy. Maybe tomorrow. Just remember all, with the pro, as well as all machines, it's all in the hearing, not the dumb ass numbers on the screen. If you are using the screen, you are not using your ears, and you will never be very good at tectin. It's as simple as it gets.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I have no experience with an AT pro , though I do want one. I will say that most of the bad reviews on them that I read seem to be from people who didnt use it enough to know how to use it to its full potential. I see a lot of " I borrowed one" or " I bought one and used it a couple times" or " I had it for a month" or "my friend said" LOL. Under those conditions no machine will live up to expectation. As for the ID numbers jumping around , thats probably because its reading multiple targets and its fast enough recovery time lets you see an ID on each , I wouldnt rule it out anyway. As for depth , I read you need to be in pro mode to get the deepest , I suspect many were not in pro mode when they became discouraged.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke to a dealer and he told me the AT Pro is the biggest seller and cannot keep them in stock....I'm not sure I would purchase one until I had the chance to test it first..

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an ATPro after having a Minelab, a Fisher and a Whites over the last 35yrs. I really like the ATPro, and I have dug some great targets at 10 to 12 inches down, my 1839 Large Cent that I found comes to mind. I see a lot of people comparing one MD to another, and I'd love to see video of an ATPro vs an Etrac, Vs any more expensive Metal Detector. I would be willing to bet its just as good. I live in Virginia and if any of you want to do some tests of your MD vs my AtPro lets get together and video tape it and put it up on youtube for everybody to see. Otherwise its all just speculation that your MD is better or worse then an ATPro.

Last edited:

vanner1

Jun 21, 2011
I have no experience with an AT pro , though I do want one. I will say that most of the bad reviews on them that I read seem to be from people who didnt use it enough to know how to use it to its full potential. I see a lot of " I borrowed one" or " I bought one and used it a couple times" or " I had it for a month" or "my friend said" LOL. Under those conditions no machine will live up to expectation. As for the ID numbers jumping around , thats probably because its reading multiple targets and its fast enough recovery time lets you see an ID on each , I wouldnt rule it out anyway. As for depth , I read you need to be in pro mode to get the deepest , I suspect many were not in pro mode when they became discouraged.

You make some good points , and that is where common sense comes in to play. Could I take an Omega, a 705, an MXT or a F5 or any of the other fine machines and gain a good understanding of them, having never used them before, in such a short time....no. Each machine has its nuances, and takes time to learn . Ive noticed with many machines that the detractors who dont take the time to know a detector attract other detractors, who also havent taken the time to understand a particular detector. Then theres the ones that have tried it, given it a fair go and find the AT Pro just isnt what they are really looking for.

I

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many complain that the AT Pro doesn't do silver. Nonsense. It works well on silver. I just found a silver and onyx sun/moon emblem that comes from either a necklace or a bracelet. I got a hit, and it was high tones with VDIs bouncing between the low 80s and 99. At 2", I found 3 quarters. At 6", I found the silver jewelry. The AT Pro hit on both the quarters and the silver, explaining why the numbers were bouncing. I went by the tone, and got rewarded. It was no problem for the Pro, as you say.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATPro will be my next machine.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought an AT Pro Two weeks ago. Took it to the beach's of Florida and had a great time. Found coin and non valuable jewelry. Finding some objects over 12" in the sand. It did really well in wet or dry sand. Going to give it a workout this weekend on Pennsylvania soil. My only "issue" yet. The audio without the headphones connected is rather low for me.
So far, sooo good !

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine a few weeks now and though I've only been detecting a little less than a year now I really wish I had gotten it from the start. I didn't know any better and cut my teeth digging trash with an infinium.

I've dug a jar full of clad since getting the at pro along with an earring, plated cross, silver ring. Nothing spectacular yet but in comparison to the infinium this thing is a blast. I know it'll go at least ten inches down on a quarter, dug two this weekend right at the water line that I swore we're going to be silver but both ended up being 1965.

Pretty easy to get into using it, lightweight. I like it. A backlight would have been nice but I'm not even going to complain about that.

Dave

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my AtPro. Had it since Christmas. It really likes silver. Here is the proof. I found these since May1 after putting on the 5X8DD. I was finding silver with the 8.5X11 DD, but I think I am going to like swinging the smaller coil better. Oh and it really likes nickels too. Just watch the vdi for 51.

Attachments

• WP_000326.jpg
    WP_000326.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 101

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Many complain that the AT Pro doesn't do silver. Nonsense. It works well on silver. .
I know some say dumb things like there detector make is better on Silver than others.......... But they are all Metal Detectors and made to find silver no matter what top brand you have...........And like you said that complaint is nonsense...........

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
th.jpg th.jpg
Pretty easy to get into using it, lightweight. I like it. A backlight would have been nice but I'm not even going to complain about that.

Dave
I got one of those lights that fit on on you hat or you head that shows Reg white light also shows red light or green light ....It works fine...I got both types the one that clips on the visor of your cap and the one with the band to fit around your head.

Last edited:

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah you read my mind. It's on my Walmart shopping list. Id still like the green indiglow effect on the screen. Maybe it'd come on for ten seconds or so that way it wouldn't eat power all the time. I'd still want that light for digging but like I said not a complaint at all as I couldn't really be happier with the thing.

Took it camping this weekend and blew people's mind calling coins before digging them. Pretty hard to miss pennies dimes and quarters with this thing.

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my AtPro. Had it since Christmas. It really likes silver. Here is the proof. I found these since May1 after putting on the 5X8DD. I was finding silver with the 8.5X11 DD, but I think I am going to like swinging the smaller coil better. Oh and it really likes nickels too. Just watch the vdi for 51.

Nice finds. Yes, the Pro does like silver. I am using the 8.5x11 and have the 5x8 on order, and can't wait to get it. I have found other silver, but I just found the one below today about 6" down. I knew what it was before I dug it up, based on the pro mode beep pattern and solid 98 VDI. I also found a silver wire heart ring minutes later at the same site. I expect that once the coil is changed I will be picking out even more from the trashy areas that I hunt. For me, most nickels hit at 53. Dimes at 83; Quarters at 87-89; Pennies - 75, 78 or 81, depending on type. It sure makes it easy to know what the target is before you dig it, or in the case of caps and beaver tails, before you pass them by.

30MAY12-4.jpg

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the MXT and the ATPro, Still learning thr pro, Love both of them, each have their part to play in my game.....HH

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found no matter what detector you have, it comes down to really how much time you are able to invest into getting out there and learning how it reacts to things in the ground and getting some hours of experience with what ever detector you buy, and the big thing,, how much are you and your family comfortable,,, spending.??
No matter what you get there will always be something better brighter and newer. Its just the way it goes. So pick an entry level and get out there and just have ago..
If you are looking at the At Pro then the bang for buck its not too bad, But if you have a big budget then there is always the Nokta Goldengate.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the first AT Pro I had even after having to send it in twice. Doctor Detroit bought me a new one and It is not like the other one at all. I just need to get out and use it more for my water wading to clean the counties beaches of trash. We also scoop up gum, bandaids, paper cups, or anything that shouldn't be in the swim area. County beaches are closed to metal detecting because of fabric under the sand so we use special french fry scoops. 038.jpg

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Closed the beaches to detectorists, that's sounds mean. Is it because of the tools they were digging with? Hope it's not something against detectorists! I try and go early morning down to our beaches, but mainly so I avoid the crowd, scan the popular spots and don't get in anyone's way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread