Ace 250 questions (2)

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. You all have been very helpful and paitent with such a newbie like myself. Bare with me as I have a couple more questions about my 250. My father buried a bunch of silver coins for me years ago. Dimes quarters half dollars. I never found them. I just bought my 250 and still cant find them. I know a general area of where they are. In about a 10ft by 3ft section. After searching for a few hours on a couple different days ive only come up with nails. My dad says maybe he buried them too deep. (one shovel head down). Is it possible that after say 8ish years they are too deep for my detector? How am I missing them in such a small area?

And after taking my detector out camping this weekend I noticed the pinpointer button doesnt always work. Sometimes I have to push it a couple times to get it on. Is this normal? Should I send it back?

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

Id like to add I have found coins with it so far. Just not the ones I know are there.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found objects ten inches deep on my Ace250, so your depth is probably still in range (depending on your soil conditions). Try searching after a little rain. That might help you find the coins. As far as the pinpointer, you push and hold the button. Test it with a coin from your pocket and pass the unit over it while holding the button down. The "bar" should go all the way to the right when you are over your target.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zerick, I have to say, I just bought a Garret Pro Pinpointer and it is like night and day compared to using the ACE 250's pinpoint function. With the stand alone Pinpointer, you don't end up chasing that elusive coin around a hole, slowly digging a trench that would make a WWI GI proud. When my ACE pops up with a solid signal I first pinpoint with the 250 and get the general area and figure out where I would be starting my plug. I then run the Pinpointer over the surface because it can sometimes pickup a target even through a few inches of dirt and that allows me to narrow down my area of focus even tighter, leaving smaller plugs. And for those pennies that are exactly dirt colored it makes it a lot easier to find them. It was worth the $127 I paid for it as it really speeds up the process and makes it all more enjoyable. I've also had a few random chunks of metal, I still don't know what they were, but they didn't look any different than a rock and the pinpointer reacted to them so I was able to figure out what I had first set of my MD.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try discriminating. Hunt in the coin or jewelry mode. Also turn the sensitivity down 2 clicks. Practice- practice- practice. good luck

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I'd use the "all metal" mode and up the sensitivity to 3 (or more) bars, keep the coil ON THE GROUND. I'd also overlap my swings no more than an inch and go SLOW. Rain will give more depth but...if it's close to your house, soak it with a hose! If it's at the depth he mentioned then you should have no trouble reading it...larger objects are easier to read!!! Could be several reasons you're not finding it.
1. how old are the batteries?
2. is the detector in need of any repairs or a "re-tuning"?
3. did someone else dig it up?
4. did he dig it up and forget that he had?
5. are you certain that it's in that location?
6. trench the sections...dig off a shovel's depth and re-scan.

You said, "And after taking my detector out camping this weekend I noticed the pinpointer button doesnt always work. Sometimes I have to push it a couple times to get it on. Is this normal? Should I send it back?" If this is a new detector then I'd call them and ask them for their advice but if it's used it'll probably need repair work.

A target that size should be a SLAM DUNK! I got a solid hit (in my early days) and dug down 18" for my first Pepsi Can. A simple test is to raise your coil off the ground...if the coin is 2" in the ground and you're up a 10 inches it might no longer sound but if you're up 10" and still getting a good hit, then it's a larger object.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can add is on your pinpointing. Be sure you don't try and pinpoint while you are directly over the target. Swing it to one side, then push the pinpoint and move over the target. That should do it and you will love the Ace.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can add is on your pinpointing. Be sure you don't try and pinpoint while you are directly over the target. Swing it to one side, then push the pinpoint and move over the target. That should do it and you will love the Ace.
This! As it wont pick up if you are directly over object

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The quarters and halves should be no problem at 8". Do a hard reset. then all metal as others have suggested. "Plant" some coins to see how you're doing then go after the old ones. Dad may not remember exactly where he buried them. Move around. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread