apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading the posts concerning the AT-Pro and I am still knocking around if I should bite the bullet and purchase one. My issue(s) are two-fold: 1) This machine is within my budget; 2) how to determine if the soil content in the area is so whacky that I will hear pings on about everything the coil passes over.

I have had an ACE 250 for a few years. Found loads of coins and junk. Did manage one 14-k ring--but all at local parks. Only hit the beaches (Galveston) twice a year so. Beach and shallow water (very shallow--knee deep). The 250 did very well on coins, but once I get near the water, I heard more pings than slots in Vegas.

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom,
apush

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about two pearls of wisdom. 1. If you were a Charter Member you could do a search and learn all the posts about the AT Pro at the beaches, or any topic for that matter.
2. Any single frequency detector will report on the salt and black sand content in the water and wet salt sand. Those aren't coins or rings it is reporting but minerals which it can't ignore. AT Pro is OK for dry sand or land and fresh water, but not near salt water. I have one and think it sucks for saltwater.

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
How about two pearls of wisdom. 1. If you were a Charter Member you could do a search and learn all the posts about the AT Pro at the beaches, or any topic for that matter.
2. Any single frequency detector will report on the salt and black sand content in the water and wet salt sand. Those aren't coins or rings it is reporting but minerals which it can't ignore. AT Pro is OK for dry sand or land and fresh water, but not near salt water. I have one and think it sucks for saltwater.

I second that it is good on land, and sucks near saltwater/wet sand. I thought that there was something wrong with mine (because of all the falsing near the salt etc.) swapped out a new coil same thing.... Someone lent me a PI HeadHunter Diver that I will try on the salt beaches instead......

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess my membership ran out. I wonder why I was not notified? Oh, well, I will register once again.

Thank you for the advice,

apush

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Galveston, but I was able to use the AT-Pro here on my part of the gulf.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro works good in wet sand and in the water on West coast Florida beaches...dont know about anywhere else.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on how much black sand you have. The whiter sand you have the better it will preform.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one and IMO it sucks for saltwater.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I found my At Pro gets a bit jittery on our Iron loaded beaches here in NZ. I heard some guys notch out to 35, shorten the stem to keep the coil a good inch above the surface and pull back on sensitivity a notch. I tried that and you get less noise and solid object do ring out well, but it does sound off a fair bit. For me in this location, to solve the chatter I use a Tesoro Sand Shark. Got it for a third the cost of a new Sand shark, on ebay. Not the top of the line P.I. detector, and still falses a bit but not as much as my favorite At Pro.
But if you are using a 250 on sand and its ok in your location, then the At Pro may well serve you well.

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
It depends on how much black sand you have. The whiter sand you have the better it will preform.

Here on L.I. N.Y. the South Shore (Atlantic Ocean) beaches have the deep fine (lighter) sand, and the AT Pro does very well in the dry likes the GB set manually (76) & great depth too. However on the rocky/clay beaches of the North Shore (L.I. Sound) N.Y. the At Pro is terrible no matter what the ground balance settings only the very shallow targets ring out strong, and the falsing is unbearable. It is too bad because around here the rocky/clay areas seem to hold a lot of old goodies! The At Pro does great on land here (L.I. N.Y.) quite smooth operation and good depth. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember that just because the area you want to search is a "beach," it can vary in the amount of black sand and salt concentrations. Not all beaches are alike and behave differently. So because your AT Pro works some at your beach doesn't mean it will work anywhere else and you shouldn't say it does.:icon_scratch:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the At Pro in the water at Galveston, and the Ace250 in the sand with no problem. I did turn the sensitivity down when I got chatter.

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro, which I love for land and dry sand hunting, but here on NJ beaches it is not great in the wetter sand and esp. light surf--too much falsing no matter the ground balancing manipulation nor turning the sens. down. At the high tide line where the sand isn't too saturated, it still works with proper GB, but it's definitely not ideal for detecting in the wet stuff. I'm saving for a PI machine for wet sand and I'll happily keep my AT Pro for the dry stuff.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with saving for your PI. I found with my Sand Shark, that the discrimination between metals was not as good as that of the At Pro (when the Pro is used on dry land that is !! )
I like the Sand Shark even though its not as expensive as, the premium PI models, it still performs well on the beach with just a bit of falseing in some bad areas of our local beaches.
Oh and compared to the At Pro it does go through the batteries!!!.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember that just because the area you want to search is a "beach," it can vary in the amount of black sand and salt concentrations. Not all beaches are alike and behave differently. So because your AT Pro works some at your beach doesn't mean it will work anywhere else and you shouldn't say it does.:icon_scratch:
To Sandman: Well by that same token, just because it didn't perform to your liking at the salt water beach you were at,you shouldn't say that it "sucks". I have used my AT Pro at the Outerbanks of North Carolina and if you Ground Balance correctly it works just fine there. It was very stable and performed great, there. To the OP: Not all Salt Water beaches are the same so if you could borrow one or if you know someone who might be in the area that you are wanting to use it maybe you could get a report from them. I have and prefer my Excal at the beach but the AT Pro is a usable option at alot of salt water beaches so I wouldn't rule it out just yet unless you get specific reports from the beach you are planning to hunt that it will not work well there.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Loosechange said:
To Sandman: Well by that same token, just because it didn't perform to your liking at the salt water beach you were at,you shouldn't say that it "sucks". I have used my AT Pro at the Outerbanks of North Carolina and if you Ground Balance correctly it works just fine there. It was very stable and performed great, there. To the OP: Not all Salt Water beaches are the same so if you could borrow one or if you know someone who might be in the area that you are wanting to use it maybe you could get a report from them. I have and prefer my Excal at the beach but the AT Pro is a usable option at alot of salt water beaches so I wouldn't rule it out just yet unless you get specific reports from the beach you are planning to hunt that it will not work well there.

I am sorry if I get carried away and say the AT Pro sucks......I have used it in many places and find it works best in plain freshwater. Some hot rocks give it trouble just as they do most MD's, but we can't have everything easy. I mainly don't care for the way the AT PRO has ID numbers bouncing around and not locking on. I can't seem to train myself to not look at the screen as my other water detectors don't have screens. Maybe duct tape over the screen would make me like it better. Sorry if I offended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread