G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got an Infinium LS and it has the 10X14" DD coil.

I was able to do some research and find out about the DD and what it meant. Basically it's the pattern it's searches which is shaped like a back to back letter 'D' if I read it right. That gives it a longer center line which makes a greater detection area, very small overlap needed. Very accurate at pinpointing the target. More expensive than the 10X14 Mono coil.

My LS is acting up in the surf and one possible solution is to try a different coil. I just purchased a 10X14 Mono coil to try in the surf. That will tell me if it's my machine giving me fits, or if it was indeed salt intrusion into the DD coil cable.

But, I'm unable to find any reviews, specs, or data on the Mono coil. How well does it pinpoint? What are target depths? How large of a search footprint does it have, how much overlap do I need? That sort of stuff. How does it compare next to the DD?

Nothing on the Garrett site, kind of disappointing- They just show you a bigger photo of the coil, no specs.

I'm a ham radio guy and use antenna radiation pattern software to see the lobes of the RF signal from specific antennas. I know that Garrett should be able to produce a picture/animation of the detection/RF lobes off the coil. That would be SWEET! How about it Charles?

If you guys don't want to do it, how about sending me the specs, I know some RF Geeks that would love to develop this.

I can't make it out into the surf for the rest of the week thanks to Tropical Storm Debbie, so I'm trying to do some internet research on the coil, and so far, no luck.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Some specs on the coils would be even better, or Mr. Garrett's cell phone number *

Surf detecting spot.jpg Live webcams around the Tampa Bay area

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Awww come on- somebody's gotta know something here....

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GIB ~ I may be a little bit of help 2 U . I have Only used my 10 x 14 Mono exclusively on the Infinium but have not done Salt yet (Just Lake,Creek, Land hunting) I find it to go WAY deep on Any target I care about but I'm not experienced enuf yet to Pinpoint Deep targets that well Yet. I've been in Hard Bedrock & ran out of time because my 8" doesnt work (got hoked used) and it takes too long to dig a wide enuf hole to keep dropping the 14" into when it's 2 deep for my Lobo still. Targets can be too deep for VLF to get to Yet for pinpointing . I have 3 targets in 2 states to get back to Because of it. Bummer Huh ? I need to get a good 8" for creeks & Bedrock, it's killin' me to leave a possible Nice Nugget in the ground. Cant complain aout getting Insanedigs that aren't Bullets though. Ken

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS ~ I would have an easier time at the beach than the Bedrock i cant penetrate under 4-6 hours to get to target. Again - I love the 10x14 but there are times i just Need the 8" for the Ancient Riverbed work.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.I.B., I don't have enough time on the LS to help you except to say I use the DD coil myself and it works as you discribe. Ron Lord is an experienced Infinium user on this forum, why not put his name in the subject line asking for info?

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron Lord, ya out there?

Hi, and thanks for the info fellas.

Sandman, I've put his name on so maybe he will respond to this and the other question I had for him.

So then, the mono coil arrived and I had to give it a try. Here is what happened...

I was hunting in salt surf, west central Fl. Fairly calm day, light surf.

The mono coil was getting a lot of hits, and boy were some of them deep. I, at first, felt like I was doing a little more digging as I no longer had the pinpoint feature of the DD coil. It took an extra scoop or two to get my target out of the ground. But, the targets seemed to be deeper. The coil seemed like it was pretty sensitive, I liked that feature.

Feeling like I was missing out on my pin-pointer ability of the DD coil, I put it back on and started hunting. I immediately noticed that I was now digging more accurately, but less, and not as deep. I had to give a little more overlap, and work a little harder at it.

Less targets... or so it seemed, so I put the mono coil back on and immediately started digging more stuff again.

I'm not willing to put the DD coil back on, not just yet anyhow. The more I used the mono the better I got at getting the target pinpointed. I'm rapidly becoming a fan of the monocoil.

So far so good. I feel like I'm finding more with it than the DD coil, but that may just be me. Interesting though, it costs less than the DD.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it changed how you pinpoint targets with the mono? Just curious. I've got an infinium and with it my method was to use short sweeps while approaching the target. It would be under the center o at the tip of the coil right where the tone change was occurring.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My DD coil, with short sweeps, and then a couple of short sweeps cross ways, would pin-point the target directly under the center of the coil. Right where it says to pin-point the target. I could recover the target with a small scoop and very little digging.

The mono coil hits the target on all edges of the coil equally, so it just takes a little more work to pin-point it, and I have to dig a little bit bigger hole. I'm thinking I'll refine this as I get a little more experience with the mono coil.

The mono coil seems to cover a much larger area than the DD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread