Screaming Infinium LS, in the surf, part 2

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Woo-hoo, TS Debbie is outta here so I head to the beach with my new coil. A previous discussion suggested that perhaps my DD coil had some salt intrusion, or a bad connector, so I ordered a spanky brand new Mono Coil.

I get into the surf and what do I hear?

BEEEEEEE-WAAAAAAAAAA

It about rips my ears off when the wave breaks over the top of the control box.

So, it's not the coil.It's not the coil connection, that's underwater and no screaming.

It's the top of the box. I've included a little video here, watch towards the end. I know, it's painful to watch, not academy awards, but it shows you what my Infinium LS (oops, scratch the S part) my Infinium L is doing.

I was holding my little underwater camera next to the headphones for audio and showing you when the waves break over. The coil was stationary against the sand.

She's worthless in the surf- again UGH!!!!!!

On my way to the beach- I was so sure this new coil would fix it I sent my Sand Shark to Tesoro to have the head phones repaired. The left side quit working.

OMG... the only water machine I have left working is a ---- dare I say it out loud? Dare I type it's name? ohhhh the inhumanity of it all, if I actually have to dig into the bowls of the closet, and dust off the----- ohhhh this is gonna hurt---- the the Cobra Viper

<font class="Apple-style-span"><font class="Apple-style-span" size="3">

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you not having a good water detector in your hands. I have bought my last Garrett with the latest being the ATP. But it might be too hot for my area, but the numbers should lock on. Duct tape covering the meter fixes this.:laughing7:
Ron Lord should be able to help you if you put his name in the subject line.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea on what it's happening but from what i saw in the video I have an idea. It looks that every time the salt water touches the coil connector. You could try placing the control box in a plastic sealed bag and see if it does the same problem.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea on what it's happening but from what i saw in the video I have an idea. It looks that every time the salt water touches the coil connector. You could try placing the control box in a plastic sealed bag and see if it does the same problem.

The coil connector is on the bottom of the box, it's submerged, so that rules out the connector. The top connector is for the headphones. I don't see where that could cause a problem.

Putting the control box in a plastic bag is the same as not putting it in the surf, keeping it dry. It has no problems dry, but thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron Lord

I feel for you not having a good water detector in your hands. I have bought my last Garrett with the latest being the ATP. But it might be too hot for my area, but the numbers should lock on. Duct tape covering the meter fixes this.:laughing7:
Ron Lord should be able to help you if you put his name in the subject line.

Sandman,

Who is this Ron Lord of which you speak?

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron Lord is a master of the Infinium LS and posts here often. He has a few videos on Youtube.

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G I B ~ I think it's more possible to be the HP connector faulting the circuit than than knob seepage. Maybe Ghost Master or ivanll will show up to help. Ken

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
I've seen it happen with a loose connection in the coil cable be it above or below water.
Wriggling the coil cable slightly will set it off and wriggling the cable will occur when moving the coil with the control box hip mounted.

ivanll

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I sent the video to Garrett and so far, they are not talking to me. I was hoping a tech-rep would take a look at it and maybe have a suggestion. Not to be-

So, I took off the knobs and applied dielectric silicone around the knob posts, and then used a waterproofing sealing tape around both the connectors, top and bottom. I'm not sure which it was, but something worked. I went into the surf an it's acting like it's supposed to. My machine is not yelling at me now and is behaving nicely with the wave breaks.

I'm not sure exactly what I did that fixed it, but I'm not complaining right now. I can get back into the surf. I don't think I would attempt diving with it, but for the surf, I can use it again.

Thanks for the help so far with this.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an update...

Here it is, July 18th and still nothing from Garrett. They did not answer my email whatsoever, don't have any advise for me, they haven't even asked me to send the machine in.

I'm nobody I suppose.

*sigh*

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you called them on the phone? They seemed pretty responsive when I called them on my pro pointer not working.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been using the Infinium for seven+ years and it also would give a false signal each time the box went under water - both fresh and salt.
Mine was "fixed" by wrapping the coil connector with waterproofing tape. Both the box connector stub and coil wire screw nut had to be covered completely.
I also spoke with a Garrett tech and he had no words of wisdom on the falsing. The connector was water-tight, new o-ring, and not leaking; everyting else worked fine. I put up with the falsing for a couple of years before getting the tape on correctly to cover all the chrome plated areas.
I had the same falsing with each of the coils I have used - 8", 14", eliptical, mono and DD. Strange, but true. I would try the Liquid Tape, but I am not sure about the ease of its removal when I wish to change coils or the interaction with the control box's plastic.

WaterWalker

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
I went to the beach this last wkend. I have a garrett sea hunter mark 11 and i bought a brand new 10x14" coil. Every time a wave came by a loud hum sound increased. Do u know how to get rid of that? i tried standard trash elimination and discrete. I set elimination to 1, threshold between 2-3. It is driving me crazy so i just stayed out of the water. This was my first time out since bought this machine. It is a used unit so it's not under warranty. Do i need to adjust different when in water?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an update...

Here it is, July 18th and still nothing from Garrett. They did not answer my email whatsoever, don't have any advise for me, they haven't even asked me to send the machine in.

I'm nobody I suppose.

*sigh*
There are times that Garrett will not answer Emails....A lot of times "WHY" i don't know That is not good for us Garrett users............ And does not look good for them..........

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call them instead, I can recall maybe two times I have called and not been immediately helped.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
What kind of tape is waterproofing tape?

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
The coil plug/socket and the headphone socket /plug are at different potentials in relation to each other and are electricaly isolated.
The hp plug lock ring does not become connected to the body of the plug until the lock ring is tightened and the plug is all the way into the socket.

if there is any grease or sealing compound on the threads of the plugs then the earth and shield connections are compromised and even though the socket is at the HP end of the ccts random tone changes can be produced when water hits the plug and socket.

Your problem is in the HP connector so make certain that the threads are totally clean from grease or any contamination of any sort.

The fact that covering the plug with sealing tape solved the problem points straight to a bad connection between the HP plug and socket shell or possibly a fault in the HP side of the control box.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Yep, your right! The hp connection was loose. Cleaned it out. Tightened and took to beach today and it work fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions