Batteries going low. How low will they work?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace 250 has a icon/picture of a battery to show how much juice is left in the batteries. There are four bars that show how much power is left.

Okay the questions are; 1) how low do you let the power go before changing the batteries? 2) As the power gets lower, does the md still detect as good/the same as when with a full charge?:icon_scratch:

Yesterday while mding, it was hard to get a good pin point and the battery icon showed only 3 bars. Yes the ground is drier than a used up soup bone and the only moisture around was the sweat dripping off of me. Most targets come in as being 8+ inch deep. That's 6 inches deeper than I can dig, shy of using a back hoe.:sadsmiley:

My great finds for the day was three nails and a beer can. No pull tabs! Hawhooooo!:wink:

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer pull tabs to nails. I'll usually run my at pro down to about 2 bars and then I yank em after one hunt or so that way then I'll use them for remotes etc around the house. Haven't noticed a loss in performance but like you said the ground is too hard to get past 2 inches anyhow.

I do find that on my at pro I pay no attention to the depth scale unless I'm pinpointing. For most targets I think mine usually shows them deeper than they are. Go into pp mode and it is usually pretty accurate there as far as depth.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Most detectors use a 5 volt regulator on their elctronic power units. If you have above 5 volts, you should loose no depth or have any loss of power. Most use a 9 volt battery setup so you can use a battery or battery system down to the 5 volt limit of the regulator. When you get close to tht 5 volt limit, it will start to loose depth and most important, ID accuracy. Good Luck. rockhound

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the 250, but the AT Gold I ran at one bar on the battery icon for maybe a couple hours. I started to notice a lower volume. Guess I should have done an air test to see if there was any depth difference, but I would suspect so. I have noticed battery life depends on how much trash in the area. Low trash gives much longer life.

Dry ground does not detect as deep around here. And digging is no fun either. I have even thought about bringing some water along to pour into the hole! LOL

OP
OP
cactusrat

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies fellow members.

I guess I’ll run the batteries down to one bar.

Just came in from swinging in the yards, and the rain didn’t help one little bit to soften the ground. Good thing is that it is noon time and only 80º right now, it’s been 100º for over the last month by noon time.

OP
OP
cactusrat

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do find that on my at pro I pay no attention to the depth scale unless I'm pinpointing. For most targets I think mine usually shows them deeper than they are. Go into pp mode and it is usually pretty accurate there as far as depth.

I find the same thing with the 250. On the swing, the depth is always deeper than when pin pointing and digging.

Blskyploit - a box of pull tabs are on their way. I told the mail carrier to just dump them into your yard. :laughing7: LOL!

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah. As long as you throw an occasional nickel or piece of gold in with them. I don't mind the tabs because there's that chance it might be good.

I stay away from iron signals because I learned the basics of detecting with an infinium. I dug enough trash with that machine to last a lifetime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread