apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely have the opportunity to head to the beach with my ACE 250. The opportunity will arise in 2 weeks. I have had my ACE for almost 3 years and she has served me well on dry land (lots of coins and even a 14K ring found at a local park). I have picked up so much clad that I am half way toward the amount I need to upgrade to an AT-Pro. I am determined to upgrade on my own meager merits of md'ing. :)

Heading to Galveston but want to hit both dry and wet sand. I am curious about how I should set the sensitivity in both areas. Also, should I just stay in all-metal mode or set in on jewelry? I feel comfortable on dry land, but not so much on the beach. I will forgo the water as I have read she will just go haywire. Any ACE 250 experts, please advise on the settings. And, many thanks!

apush :coffee2:

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace didn't do well in wet sand. I'll let others chime in though. Good luck and have fun!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
typically is does not do too well in wet sand but just try setting the sensitivity at about 3 bars. If you get lots of false signals, lower it till you do not get falsing. On the dry you can usually run it pretty high unless there is a lot of black sand. I start with it at 5 and go from there. Good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
typically is does not do too well in wet sand but just try setting the sensitivity at about 3 bars. If you get lots of false signals, lower it till you do not get falsing. On the dry you can usually run it pretty high unless there is a lot of black sand. I start with it at 5 and go from there. Good luck!

Debby is spot on about the 250. It is not a true beach detector as it will false almost as much as a AT PRO in the saltwater wet sand. The ATP works well in the dry sand and for land however. If you insist on using the 250 on the beach you can run sens lots higher in the dry sand than in the wet. Since you can't ground balance for wet and dry and only have one frequncy you are out of luck for depth. But have fun and watch out for seagulls dropping a dead fish on ya.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace250 is almost useless in wet sand. I have to turn the sens so low that all my depth is gone. Now my ATpro is a different story. I can run 5 of 8 bars sens and its only 2 inches shallower than a CZ21 on a coin. I hunt Florida West coast beaches.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just in ocean city this past weekend with my ace 250. If I was the dry I was fine as soon as I got near the water it went crazy, stay in the dry works great ther.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Hopefully I will have something to post when I return. At the very least, more clad toward the purchase of a new machine.
apush

Piratemike

Greenie
Jul 23, 2012
Richardson Tx
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be curious to hear your results I will have my ACE 250 in Port Aransas next week and any tips you have fresh on your mind would be helpful.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with keeping out of the wet sand. Was just in jersey hunting the beaches there. Dry sand, one bar from max with no falsing in jewelry mode. Wet sand will waste ur time. I was able to get about 6" in depth, perhaps more.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with keeping out of the wet sand. Was just in jersey hunting the beaches there. Dry sand, one bar from max with no falsing in jewelry mode. Wet sand will waste ur time. I was able to get about 6" in depth, perhaps more.
I totally agree with Jay.
Good luck.The 250 is good enough on the dry, blanket line.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the above on not going anywhere near the wet beach sand with the 250.
It will just give you false signals.

I once tried that trick with my Ace 350, got a nice tone and almost dug my way to China! :icon_scratch:

mccloud39

Jul 21, 2012
League City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250-
Garrett Pro Pointer-
Razor Edge Gator Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay in the dry sand! Was just in Galveston a month ago with my 250 and got so many false signals in the wet sand! I actually didn't find one thing in the wet sand but set the sensitivity at 4 in the dry sand, if not lower and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread