Garret AT Gold Metal Detector

warchief

Jul 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I am thinking of purchasing the Garret AT Gold Metal Detector to assist with gold panning in Colorado's High country. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions on this device? I am totally new to this hobby and just wondering if it is worth the investment.

Also, I am concerned about what I can or can not do on both USFS National Forrest and BLM in Colorado. I have read some information regarding the antiquites act as to where you can not use a metal detector. I am hoping to engage someone with experience in Colorado.
Thanks,
Warchief

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since no one wants to offer anything, I will take a stab at it. As I understand there is not much in the way of big nuggets in Colo. so something like the AT Gold is probably what you are looking for. Is it worth it? I can't answer that for you. Obviously if you are not in a gold producing area, no detector is going to make gold appear. LOL If you have a known nugget producing area, then you have a chance. Otherwise you probably want a shovel and a sluice box and a lot of elbow grease. Dig down to bedrock. Or just the opposite, when some people find some nuggets with a detector they get out the shovel and sluice the area. Obviously more people find gold jewelry than nuggets. The AT Gold will work for that, too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not the big prospector, my brother is. I rely his his experience with finding gold nuggets in the dirt. He is no fan of the AT gold saying it doesn't have the sensitivity of the White's GMT, Gold Bug or Super Lobo. The detector has to be able to locate a #9 bird shot from the dirt. Signal Line is right that after a sizeable nugget is found other methods are used to find more in the shortest time possible. Only hunters that are in it for the fun of finding nuggets stick with a metal detector. Remember all the manufacturers say they're detectors can find gold nuggets, but don't say how small or how big. :icon_scratch:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the AT Gold is you might have a hard time finding one. They are a big seller. Extreme sensitivity is not always the best approach especially in high mineralized ground, so you might want to talk to someone in your area. Check with the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) for a chapter near you. I will say the ATG has features the older units do not. The Iron Audio is superb and the depth is darned good, too. Great on coins, too. The Garrett website has some instructional videos. It's advanced technology and you just watch the others copy it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with the AT Gold is you might have a hard time finding one. They are a big seller. Extreme sensitivity is not always the best approach especially in high mineralized ground, so you might want to talk to someone in your area. Check with the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) for a chapter near you. I will say the ATG has features the older units do not. The Iron Audio is superb and the depth is darned good, too. Great on coins, too. The Garrett website has some instructional videos. It's advanced technology and you just watch the others copy it.

Every great gold detector is extremely sensitive. The atg in all metal will find #9 shot pretty deep. Even in highly mineralized ground. That's what gb is for.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the gold I'm amazed at the small bb's I've found with it.

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very pleased with my AT Gold , I am not in a gold producing area so I can't comment on that much, I have tested it with gold nuggets and I think it did a good job at finding them. The fact that it is waterproof is a nice plus for you if working around or in water. There are many videos on youtube of it in action gold prospecting and some comparison videos too, the Gold Bug II seems to perform a bit better in some videos I seen.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this is an old thread but I love my AT Gold detector. One of the best purchases I have made. No nuggets yet but I have found a couple of small gold earrings while out treasure hunting. Also found tiny lead bird shot and some very small copper staples so I would think very small nuggets would also show up well with this detector. Good luck and happy hunting! :thumbsup:

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Gold is an absolute winner, as an all-around machine. Although the White's GMT will out-pace it on tiny gold, it requires more attention to "tuning detail". AT is sensitive to small gold, with the advantage of a disc mode; excellent for searching old mining camps & general coin/jewelry hunting.
Good Luck, & be safe out there.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both at pro and at gold and the gold is what I use now. I like the threshold based all metal mode and threshold in disc mode. It's a great detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions