Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By signal_line

Thread: Garret AT Gold Metal Detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Garret AT Gold Metal Detector

Hi. I am thinking of purchasing the Garret AT Gold Metal Detector to assist with gold panning in Colorado's High country. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions on this device? I am totally new to this hobby and just wondering if it is worth the investment.

Also, I am concerned about what I can or can not do on both USFS National Forrest and BLM in Colorado. I have read some information regarding the antiquites act as to where you can not use a metal detector. I am hoping to engage someone with experience in Colorado.
    Thanks,
    Warchief

us
    Nov 2011
    108 times
    Well, since no one wants to offer anything, I will take a stab at it. As I understand there is not much in the way of big nuggets in Colo. so something like the AT Gold is probably what you are looking for. Is it worth it? I can't answer that for you. Obviously if you are not in a gold producing area, no detector is going to make gold appear. LOL If you have a known nugget producing area, then you have a chance. Otherwise you probably want a shovel and a sluice box and a lot of elbow grease. Dig down to bedrock. Or just the opposite, when some people find some nuggets with a detector they get out the shovel and sluice the area. Obviously more people find gold jewelry than nuggets. The AT Gold will work for that, too.
    Where your heart is, there you will find your treasure.

O God of compassion, You alone can justify me and Your will never reject me when I, contrite, approach Your Merciful Heart, where no one has ever been refused, even if he were the greatest sinner. For Your Son assured me: Sooner would heaven and earth turn into nothingness than would My mercy fail to embrace a trusting soul.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2167 times
    I am not the big prospector, my brother is. I rely his his experience with finding gold nuggets in the dirt. He is no fan of the AT gold saying it doesn't have the sensitivity of the White's GMT, Gold Bug or Super Lobo. The detector has to be able to locate a #9 bird shot from the dirt. Signal Line is right that after a sizeable nugget is found other methods are used to find more in the shortest time possible. Only hunters that are in it for the fun of finding nuggets stick with a metal detector. Remember all the manufacturers say they're detectors can find gold nuggets, but don't say how small or how big.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Nov 2011
    108 times
    The problem with the AT Gold is you might have a hard time finding one. They are a big seller. Extreme sensitivity is not always the best approach especially in high mineralized ground, so you might want to talk to someone in your area. Check with the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) for a chapter near you. I will say the ATG has features the older units do not. The Iron Audio is superb and the depth is darned good, too. Great on coins, too. The Garrett website has some instructional videos. It's advanced technology and you just watch the others copy it.
    Truffles_EOD likes this.
    Where your heart is, there you will find your treasure.

O God of compassion, You alone can justify me and Your will never reject me when I, contrite, approach Your Merciful Heart, where no one has ever been refused, even if he were the greatest sinner. For Your Son assured me: Sooner would heaven and earth turn into nothingness than would My mercy fail to embrace a trusting soul.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    718 times
    tectin crap
    Quote Originally Posted by signal_line View Post
    The problem with the AT Gold is you might have a hard time finding one. They are a big seller. Extreme sensitivity is not always the best approach especially in high mineralized ground, so you might want to talk to someone in your area. Check with the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) for a chapter near you. I will say the ATG has features the older units do not. The Iron Audio is superb and the depth is darned good, too. Great on coins, too. The Garrett website has some instructional videos. It's advanced technology and you just watch the others copy it.
    Every great gold detector is extremely sensitive. The atg in all metal will find #9 shot pretty deep. Even in highly mineralized ground. That's what gb is for.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

Sponsors