How The Garrett AT Series Metal Detectors Read Canadian Coins

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
cancoins.jpg

All Garrett Metal Detectors are designed and manufactured in Garland Texas, and specifically tuned for US coinage. They are also very capable of detecting Canadian clad.....but you have to change your technique when searching for them. They usually don't read where the US coins read for the equivalent coinage ie pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, loonies and toonies, unless they are of the older silver variety (pre 1968 ) or older pennies made from solid copper (1996 or older). Having said that, here's how to identify common newer coins from canada.

These readings explained below are found using the AT Pro in PRO Mode, Zero discrimination, Iron disc set at 40 with the iron audio turned on. The same results will be found on the AT GOLD In Disk 1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PENNIES

Older pennies, up to the middle 1990's will read in the penny icon, or with a VDI in the 80's. Now the newer strikes, can be made of metal or zinc plated with copper. These are harder to ID as pennies, especially when the copper coating begins to wear off. But, expect them to read as a steduy VDI reading of 74 +/- about 2%. Others will read in the high 70's and lower 80's. The key is where the VDI numbers read MOST of the time. If you decider to NOT dig pennies for whatever reason, expect to miss some silver rings and 10K gold rin

NICKLES

They usually give a softer sound with a VDI reading at 50 +/- 2% and remain there. Square pull tabs give a harsher sound and often times reamain at 53. Gold is common in this area +/- 10% with a consistent softer tone.

DIMES

Older silver dimes, (pre 1968 ) or older will read as silver and read in the lower to mid 80's. However, if they are beyond about 6 inches in depth, they may start to read as junk. Use your common sense rule that if it is deep, it is probably old. Now freshly dropped dimes will read loud and allow the VDI numbers to bounce around the 60's to the 90's. With the IRON AUDIO turned on, they will grunt (low iron) and give a nice loud sound in the 80's -90's. Dig them, as they might also be a quarter. Older dimes tend to fluctuate in the 40's to 70's with the odd spike to the 80's.

Quarters

Pre 1968 quarters were silver and will read in the 80's consistantly. New fresh dropped quarters give a loud signal, with a VDI bouncing back and forth between 30's - 70's. You will eventually learn their distinctive audio. Older (not silver) quarters tend to bounce back and forth around the 70's to 80's. They also give off a loud signal.

Loonies

Give off a very loud audio bouncing back and forth 70's to the 80's.

Toonies

Give off a loud signal in the 70's and can sometimes give off a spike to the 90's.

Some results will vary if detecting to sanded tot lots or areas with higher soil mineralization. The soil in my areas is basically low to moderate. Good luck, and if you discover any other good tricks for detecting Canadian clad, please comment.

Below are my total from 2011......

ALL 2011.jpg

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just wanted to compliment you on your posts.I read them all.
I just bought a used ADS,Vlf/Tr, Groundhog,Master Hunter with the arm rest 2 weeks ago.
Still learning, and playing.
Anyway,you always have great posts and info for us all.
I now need to practice on some of my Canadian stuff.Didn't think of that.Until now.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, interesting stuff! I'm looking at getting an AT Pro, hopefully....but I'm in Edmonton, and as you probably know, the local dealer never has any stock. Guess I'll have to order off the net. :(
Hey, also a former balloonist, though I never got my licence. Looong time ago...brought in a couple of the first Camerons back in the early '70's with some friends.
I'd be interested in meeting up some time if the local detectorists do stuff like that.

Cheers,
dt

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread