Problems with Ace 350?

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been running into what may or may not be a problem with my garrett ace 350. Sometimes I'll bump the coil on a plant or a patch of sand and the detector will give me a false signal of either nickel or silver (its always 8+ inches when I get the false silver signal). Another thing to note is that the detector also detects metals that are within 4-6 inches around the coil (not just above and below), like when I go near a sprinkler or a piece of playground equipment, it will say that it is above a steel of nickel object when in actuality it is 6 inches to the right of the coil and above ground.

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this or if it is even a problem at all, but it is really starting to get annoying so I figured I would post up and figure out if I have a defective coil or not.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 250 and experience the same things. First, the bumping part make sure to tape the coil wire in at least 2 spots on the shaft. Most importantly, near the control box. As for detecting above the coil near fences etc...not much u can do except maybe get the 4 inch sniper coil. It'll let u get closer to metal objects and helps in trashly areas.

Hope this helps and happy hunting,

Let me know if u have any other questions.

Jay

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds normal to me. Coils pick up metal from all directions.

The depth reading I pretty much ignore until I use the pin point mode.

Remember the reading is from the coil to the target, not from the ground surface to the target.

Like Jay said, make sure your coil wire is not flopping.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions