AT Pro depth indicator

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look at the screen you'll miss some good stuff. I hunted a field one day and I got a faint high tone. No ID and a depth of 10" on screen. I pinpointed and still got a depth of 10". Dug down and about 4" down I checked again and got a 74 on the meter, still said 8", dug some more and recovered a fired three ringer. Hunt by sounds... Not by screen.

Great post!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't mater keep at it, your doing find.

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new, so take my thoughts we a grain of salt. My understanding is that the depth estimate is based on the size of the return and assumes an "average" target. If that is true then a large deep object would have the same return as a coin sized shallower object. My understanding is that any depth indication is for entertainment purposes only. :) Dave

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new, so take my thoughts we a grain of salt. My understanding is that the depth estimate is based on the size of the return and assumes an "average" target. If that is true then a large deep object would have the same return as a coin sized shallower object. My understanding is that any depth indication is for entertainment purposes only. :) Dave

That is pretty accurate for being new. Cant wait to see your post in a year.

Most detectors are set up for coin size targets. I still get a solid dime signal on eroded zinc penny. Go by sound. I use a fisher and it does the same thing.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It takes some long hours to learn to "hear" a target's depth by sound, and anyone can be fooled, but it's better than being "told" by a number. Learn to master the sounds (sound volume, loudness) and learn the pp abilities of the machine. All the good ones I have ever used have pp detune, or retune. Learn pp to get the best info on target size and depth. I occasionally pull big deep copper and brass crap, it sounds good, it's deep, and it pp's like maybe a silver half dollar at six or eight inches, but it footprints a bit bigger, but I know its deep, its not too loud, so I hope it's a silver dollar, or a spill, but 99.999 percent of the time it ends up being an even bigger hunk of highly conductive copper or brass. So be it. It could have been a great find, so it gets dug. It is rare to find a silver half or dollar at normal depths, say up to and including 6" and it is not expected to find big copper or brass junk at ten inches, (unless you are working old homesites) but it happens everywhere eventually. It dont matter, they sound about the same, good and deep, not too loud, so it's all coming out. A rough way to look at is that a ten inch deep silver dollar will sound and footprint about the same as a six inch deep silver dime or about the same as a quart jar full of silver at 24 inches deep, this all roughly speaking, but you get the idea. No machine can offer any type of accuracy with depth numbers, target size and depth is too flippant. I like coinstriking's comment, the atpro would do nicely with an overload feature, but you can easily figure out big shallow stuff by the loudness and figuring out the exact size with a few seconds of pp work. If it's loud, it only takes a few seconds to tell if it is big and shallow, you can hear and "see" the target size with pp, and then, you can decide if you want to dig out that aluminum can, or just move along and leave it where it lays. This all takes some long hours to learn. But BAM! someday it will all set in.

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way to stop doing that is to raise the coil off the ground while still in pinpoint mode...If the signal disappears with the coil only 2-4" off the dirt, the target is probably good...If you can lift the coil more than 6" off the dirt, and still get a good pinpoint signal...The target is probably a large iron item deep, or a tin can.

HH,

My 2¢, when using my ATpro I will get a loud signal and in pp mode it will say ''2 in." but after much digging (6-10 or more in.) I will hit some big metal thing that I would need a garden spade and a shovel to unearth.:BangHead: I recently pulled up a 3 lb lead ingot that read a steady "86" on the screen. I believe I have given up and pushed the dirt back into the hole about 20 times during the past three months I've owned my detector. For me thats the second worse feeling to turning my machine off and calling it a day.:sad1:

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Once you get used to the machine t is pretty easy to size things up I think...definitely easier than my tesoro for that at least

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread