AT Pro depth indicator

markhp

Jun 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I typicaly use my AT Pro in Pro mode with iron disc set to 30 When I find a strong target like a penny the depth indictator would read 6+ " but when I use the pin-point feature on the same target it will show something like 2-4 inches. What is the corrrect way to read the depth ?:icon_scratch:

sculpine

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2012
Central Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to pile on, but I'm gonna pile on! I have been having the same question rolling around in my head as well. I get it if there is trash or other targets around, but just playing around yesterday at the park I hit a zinkon, while doing the wiggle it was around 4", pinpointed at 2", once I recovered it I re-checked the area and nothing there. I am set at no descrimination with iron audio on in standard mode. I played with this and it is a very repeatable schenario with most strong signals. It is way frustrating in the water when the substrate is not easily dug sand.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same experience with the coin depth indicatior with normal swinging (not using the pin pointer mode), but it has has also been my experience not to rely on the depth indicator when in normal swinging mode. I really don't think that the purpose of the indicator scale was meant to an be indicatior until you activated the pin point mode. Only my 2 cents worth.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
So then the somewhat accurate depth is seen when pin-pointing only? Being pretty new to metal detecting, I think I don't even notice the depth reading when I get a signal during swinging. The only silver item I've found so far was dug at 2" and as I recall, the depth during pin-pointing said 4". No big deal to me, because I was dead set on getting what was down there even if I had to go to a foot. By the way, I'm really enjoying the AT Pro, but I'm a poor endorsement because it is the only real metal detector that I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You newbies with your depth indicators and modes...........The detector responds to conductivity. The more conductive the crap is the shallower it will indicate. Cover the dang meter with duct tape and use a brass probe to touch the coin after you learn to pinpoint with zero motion all metal.

swb

Jun 8, 2012
stephens city va
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes when using the pinpointer it doesn't work.anybody have that problem.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
swb said:
sometimes when using the pinpointer it doesn't work.anybody have that problem.

Yes. I think it has something to do with unknowingly double pressing the PP button. It thinks you are retuning it for a more narrow search. Look at page 36 of the owners manual. I tried the retuning drill today to see if I really could get a finer pin pointing. Not sure I have the hang of it yet because I could not tell any difference.

Merlin

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it kinda had a little bit of something sorta to do with unwittingly going all wacky and crazy with trying to pp with a dd to the fashiizzzile da dee diddly dee dee. Fo sho:laughing7:

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using factory coil or a smaller coil. A smaller coil might be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The atpro with big dd is a bit of a tough case for me because it is loud on any coin, clad or silver or whatever down to 3" or even 4". A clad quarter at 4" is LOUD. The volume drops off pretty good into the 5+ depth range on coins like small copper cents and even silver dimes. They get to sounding a bit quiet, but very obvious as deep goodies. I have dug plenty of acid rain dissolved wheats in the 6+ range, they were getting quiet, almost iffy, but high pitch popping thru decent enough to dig. You cannot miss a wheat at 6" with the pro. You cannot miss a silver quarter at 8" with the atpro. Just listen to it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tha depth indicator is more accurate in pinpoint mode...I dont look at depth indicator until I pinpoint. I never use depth to determine whether or not to dig...I dig all good signals. Dont worry about the depth and id numbers, learn the tones and dig to see what it is.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you look at the screen you'll miss some good stuff. I hunted a field one day and I got a faint high tone. No ID and a depth of 10" on screen. I pinpointed and still got a depth of 10". Dug down and about 4" down I checked again and got a 74 on the meter, still said 8", dug some more and recovered a fired three ringer. Hunt by sounds... Not by screen.

OP
OP
M

markhp

Jun 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got clarification from Garrett that the depth indication is the most accurate during pin-pointing.

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2¢, when using my ATpro I will get a loud signal and in pp mode it will say ''2 in." but after much digging (6-10 or more in.) I will hit some big metal thing that I would need a garden spade and a shovel to unearth.:BangHead: I recently pulled up a 3 lb lead ingot that read a steady "86" on the screen. I believe I have given up and pushed the dirt back into the hole about 20 times during the past three months I've owned my detector. For me thats the second worse feeling to turning my machine off and calling it a day.:sad1:

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The depth indicator in motion discriminate mode is useless, another thing I don't like about the At Pro is that it doesn't have an overload signal. The area we hunt is littered with rusty cans and such that are just under the leaves, problem is most of the old coins we find are just under the leaves as well so we basically dig all signals. Would be nice to be alerted to the size of the object beforehand.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also don't forget, the distance your coil is above the ground adds to the depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread