Fortune Hunter TR Discriminator HELP and TIPS needed!

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is my detector.:icon_scratch:
detector.JPG

What I want help and tips is about how to work it best, the lands I have been hunting are very mineralized..in some places. Now when I tune this thing do I do it with the coil a few foot off the ground or only a few inches off the ground? Where do I tune the sound control to, I mean should I tune it to just where its barely making noise? I notice if i tune it a few foot from the ground and have it barely making noise when I lower it to the ground it goes quiet...is that where I should then tune it so its barely making noise again? Its just that every time I go out it seems to act a little different...I am assuming that is from the drought we have been going through and now this past week has been pretty rainy but I am guessing that's affecting the mineralization, or maybe I am just crazy and don't have a clue what I am doing with this thing. Any tips, advice, and help would be greatly appreciated.:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never used that model so i am of no help........... The oldest garrett i used was a freedom 2...... You could go to Garretts web site and look up the owners manual for it.......From what i know it is mid 70's and from what i have read about it it is not worth fixing up.........But there are some out there i guess still useing it and like it........ You might have some one here that knows something about it................ Your best bet is to call Garrett and talk to them about it................... Garrett Metal Detectors: Hobby Division, Security Division and Countermine / ERW Division | Metal Detector Manufacturer

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive already gotten the manual from them but its very vague and mostly describes a MD that is not the model I have. and I am looking for somebody who has actually used one in the field. Theres no need to fix this one up as I already have and it seems to work great, its just im a noob and would like some tips and advice for this model. It was manufactured in 76-77. I have pulled over a dollar of clad out of my local park in the past 2 weeks, as you can see from my signature. I just hope someone understands the subtlety of this model better than I do and would care to let me in on any tips and tricks for it.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just went to ebay and looked for ya.There was one for sale,and it had the manual.
I was going to ask if the person would copy it for me.
I sell on there. But its gone now. I will still look for you and see if i can get one copied.

I have the groundhog.Ads vlf/tr. The one after yours,with the toggle switch in the handle.
When i first set mine up,follow the directions.
I turn it on, coil above the ground,held level to my waist.After it has warmed up a few seconds.
Then turn the null/metal knob from null-towards metal,untill just a faint noise is heard.
This is the optimum tuning point. In this mode,normal,the TR does not work.You are in all metal.

If you move the switch to disc,then you can use the discriminate knob.,and the all metal will not work.
put some different objects on the ground(dime-nail-bottle cap-pull tab-nickel). You want to hear the nickel,and dime,but nothing else.You may not get all the trash out,so just do as best you can to eliminate trash,but keep the dime or nickel.
The nail,or any long piece of metal,should give you a double beep,like this(beep,beep).

If this is the 15khtz model,this is the same basic technology as the newer Garrett Scorpion. These MDs where so good,they copied the internals,and just redesigned the unit to look more like a newer modern one. This is my understanding. I will not get rid of mine at all.
The 2 groundhog manuals should be close to how yours operates.
If it says a function,but you dont have it,then dont use it.Just use the basics functions or knobs that you have.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/PB-Deepseeker-and-Groundhog.pdf
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/ADS-Deepseeker-Groundhog.pdf
Also go here Garrett and download the 1978 catalog, top right, brown one.
Read and print pages 7-10.

Here is a link to another thread here on Tnet that we are discussing an older Garrett.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/232874-master-hunter-vlf-tr-featherweight-questions.html

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you roadrunner i always like looking through old catalogs and magazines. There is usually something neat in them to stare at. It seems that I must be using it correctly since I am finding these coins each time that I go out. Found a nickel almost 7 inches down yesterday. Had it set to where it was just barely buzzing on the ground and the nickel was very faint and iffy signal. But i dug it anyways and made 5c. Thanks again for the info and if anyone else has anything else to add Please Do!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are welcome.
I will keep my eye out on ebay also.

I went back to the treasurelinx site,and actually clicked on the left Top catalog,and the pic that came up matches your detector better than the rest.
It just has a meter on it,but looks like the same amount of knobs,just in a different position.
try that guide also.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread