Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got an ace 250 with the stock coil on it atm. I was wondering if It would benefit me to get one of the larger DD coils for it or if I am better off with the stock one. Do you get a lot more depth with them? Also some of the areas I swing in are moderately trashy.. would a larger coil just make things harder? Thanks for any and all advice.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the larger coil will pick up more items at the same time in trashy areas it will have tons of trouble pinpointing any single one. Big coils are for going deep where there is little junk. For trashy areas you only want one target under the coil at one time so a smaller coil works best for this. Stock coils are a compromise.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were going to change it up, I'd go with the 5x8 Proformance coil. People are having a lot of success with that one. If it was extremely trashy then the sniper would be best, and it is not a bad idea to pick one of those up at some point, but the 5x8 will give you the best all around coil for the situation you are talking about.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the larger coil will pick up more items at the same time in trashy areas it will have tons of trouble pinpointing any single one. Big coils are for going deep where there is little junk. For trashy areas you only want one target under the coil at one time so a smaller coil works best for this. Stock coils are a compromise.

Great post! The Garrett AT Pro 5X8 DD coil is an OUTSTANDING coil. Mine never comes off. Holler if you have more questions or want a great deal.

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed that says its standard for at gold and works on at pro. So it wouldn't work on my Ace 250 then would it?

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is available for the ACE series, yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread