AT Pro vs AT Gold?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I took my ACE 250 out to hit some beaches this week and found my first gold! It was just a 10k white gold ring, but it gave me the itch to start hitting up beaches. I enjoyed walking the wet sand, but just a little ways out into the water was very tantalizing for me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to recover targets without risking my 250. So I have been considering a waterproof detector.

I know that both the AT Pro and Gold are waterproof which is one of the main appeals for me, along with the roll on audio. What I don't know and would like some help with are what are the trade-offs between the two machines? I would primarily be looking for coins and jewelry, though I would be open to relic hunting in the future if I found a good site.

Garrett had this chart comparing the two detectors:
AT Gold vs AT Pro | GarrettCentral.com

My questions are:
Being from Michigan, and having no saltwater around, what is the benefit of 18 vs 15kHz?

What is "True- All metal mode"? How is that different from no discrimination?

I'm also not really sure what Threshold Adjustment means.

If any of you Garret Gurus have any knowledge to impart on these machines, please share!

Thanks,

Chris

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris.....:hello: I am in Michigan now too and the main difference between the two operating frequency's is the higher one is better for id'ing gold nuggets of tiny sizes. The True All metal means the return signal doesn't have to go through so many filters. The Threshold adjustment is like a sliding scale that increases the threshold strength which is different than volume. Silent search detectors have to have a return signal strong enough to come thru the threshold strength. You would be lots better served with a true water detector like the 1280, or Tiger Shark since you won't be near saltwater and believe me these machines last a lifetime and don't false when holding them still as they are built like tanks. Your going to need at least two detectors to do it right and you only need one ring to pay for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, thanks Sandman, I will look into those detectors. Thanks for answering! As far as threshold goes, would the Ace 250 be considered a "silent search" detector? I guess I'm still fuzzy on threshold.

Between starting the thread and reading your post I went out and found a small ladies 14k ring! Slowly working towards paying off my 250 and propointer :D This was in a park setting though, no water to worry about.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do believe the 250 is a silent search. I've never used one. If you don't hear a constant "hummm" between target hits, then YES it is a silent search detector. The silent search vs threshold was something I had to get used to coming from a White's XLT detector to the AT Pro. With a threshold you have a constant "hummm" that you will hear, you are listening for fluctuations and changes to the hum to indicate a target. Sometimes, you'll hear only a slight rise in the tone for a deep target. To start, I wondered if I was getting the depth with the AT Gold that I was accustomed to seeing with the XLT, but that was soon put to rest. With the Pro, you listen for the quiet hits. Turn the headphone volume high and listen... The All metal mode is essentially like hunting in pin-point. It removes all descrimination, and goes deeper. Yes, it can be noisey, but if you are relic hunting in a locaton that has been pounded for years by other detectorists, it is a very desirable feature to find those deep targets.

As for the AT Pro or AT Gold, if you don't see yourself using the detector in salt water, I'd go for the Gold. I like the thought of a threshold, the higher frequency and All Metal. The 5x8 coil is PERFECT for the detector, it has depth and allows you to hunt in trashy locations, picking out the good finds amongst the trash. The 9x11 coil on the Pro is fine in good, clean locations, but with lots of trash, the smaller coil shines and still goes deep. I have the Pro with the 5x8 & 9x11 coil, I live on the east coast and hunt salt water beaches, so the Gold won't work for me in salt water. After I got the 5x8 coil, I put the 9x11 coil in the cabinet and that is where it stays.

Good luck with your decision.
Dwight

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I took my ACE 250 out to hit some beaches this week and found my first gold! It was just a 10k white gold ring, but it gave me the itch to start hitting up beaches. I enjoyed walking the wet sand, but just a little ways out into the water was very tantalizing for me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to recover targets without risking my 250. So I have been considering a waterproof detector.

I know that both the AT Pro and Gold are waterproof which is one of the main appeals for me, along with the roll on audio. What I don't know and would like some help with are what are the trade-offs between the two machines? I would primarily be looking for coins and jewelry, though I would be open to relic hunting in the future if I found a good site.

Garrett had this chart comparing the two detectors:
AT Gold vs AT Pro | GarrettCentral.com

My questions are:
Being from Michigan, and having no saltwater around, what is the benefit of 18 vs 15kHz?

What is "True- All metal mode"? How is that different from no discrimination?

I'm also not really sure what Threshold Adjustment means.

If any of you Garret Gurus have any knowledge to impart on these machines, please share!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
You already have some great replies here! The Gold because of higher frequency is more sensitive to smaller lower conductors. The true all metal mode will give you more "punch" as well. It will have a threshold and on very deep targets you may not get a tone but a break in the threshold hum telling you something is there.

The Gold is HARD to beat! Give me a call with questions on either. I would love to answer all your questions and make you a great deal!

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys, as it turns out, I went with Sandman's suggestion on a bit of an impulse and bought a used Tiger Shark. It was a decent price and I liked the idea of being able to go snorkeling with it and not worrying about depth. I'll see how I like it and if it isn't working out, I might go back to Garrett. Thanks for the answers though guys, I really need to find a chart explaining all the acronyms and hot button words with the hobby!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
at pro at gold.jpg

Below is a graph showing the differences in depth using the sniper coil during an air test. The AT Gold can not be used in salt water, as it can't be ground balanced to that degree. The AT Pro can be used in salt water.

Attachments

• snipercoilgraph.jpg
    snipercoilgraph.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,031

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those depths are with the small 4 1/2 inch coil. The 5 x 8 double d coils goes quite a bit deeper. I have found coins at 12 inches with the AT Gold in wet sand. No, there is no ID number, just a tone. I also found a silver dime at 8-9 inches in moderate soil. I was in Disc 1 and it gave a high tone and 82 ID number.

OP
OP
Talon

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a neat chart, it's nicely put together. Looks like the AT Gold edges out the Pro.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT-Pro is my choice if I'm hitting the beach and doing dry and wet sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread