If You Are Water Hunting- Unit Fails, It Doesnt Necessarily Mean H20 In Coil/Machine

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If You Are Water Hunting- Unit Fails, It Doesn't Necessarily Mean H20 In Coil/Machine

I had My AT Gold quit on me a few weeks ago while in the water. Here are the signs and symptoms:

-icons still on & visible
-absolutely no audio when swinging the coil over any metal target
-volume slowly increasing when pinpoint button pushed and held.
-able to turn unit off/on
-holding on/off button to re-tune unit ineffective
-no water visible in unit
-unit was working again the following day as it should

After replacing batteries, physically checking the coil for damage, I removed the connector for the coil. Guess what? A few drops of water got in there and and caused the malfunction. I carefully dried it with a kleenex, then removed some calcium (?) deposits from the inside with a wooden toothpick and cleaned it out again. I removed the "O" ring, checked it's integrity, cleaned out the area where it sits and cleaned the "O" ring. I re-applied some silicone lubricant to the "O" ring and the groove where it sits, plus the thread before tightening. I re-assembled the unit, water tested it for 4 hours and it works fine.

If your unit quits, please try some problem solving before you send it in. If you are not sure, ask on this forum and someone might have the answer for you. If you can fix the problem, you avoid the dreaded sending it in for repair.
smile.gif

Attachments

• december.jpg
    december.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 227

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread