Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do any of you know what the solution is for a sea hunter mark II when in shallow water? Im in Galveston and i have it in Standard trash elimination mode. Elimination set to 0. No matter where i set threshold, i hear a load hum with each wave. It does fine in discrete. Just stndrd trash mode it does this. I made sure before i went out to tighten everything. I wrapped connector ends with electrical tape and weather proof tape. Anyone else have this problem?
Cheers,
Dan

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
Hello Dan! I experience basically the same problem with my INFINIUM LS. The wave action will cause this. Basically, what I have done is turn my thresh hold down. When you come across a target, it will sound off. There is a guy down there, who hunts Stewart and East beaches that uses the Sea Hunter and has had great results. try going down there, he should be there early in the morning and can give you some good pointers on using the Sea Hunter.

beerbarrel

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine is sensing the moving target (wave/swell).
If you advance the Elimination to about 1-2 then it should quieten down to a degree. You will still get the small gold rings so don't stress about that too much. This change in threshold is telling me that the machine is sensitive to the salt water. Targets will sound off clear and sharp when compared to that the lazy, drawn out threshold drift. I guess a SAT (self adjusting threshold) would be handy to counter the threshold audio.
Tony.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
Berrbarrel,
i want to meet up with this guy and talk to him bout this. I am thinking bout using the sea hunter strickly for diving and then getting a surf pi so i can mess around with more tuning to get that interference at least minimized. I understand that there will possibly still be some interference but not the loud screaming tone. I cant even concentrate on hearing anything else at this point. I contacted garrett to see if they have a possible solution to minimize the load tone. Im thinking bout sneaking off from wife in a few minutes to gi swing detector in a creek by the house.
Cheers,
D

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read Tony's reply and try it. He is right. Advance the elimination up until it settles down or just switch to discrete.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors being used with wave action causing problems can also be helped a little more with the old method of spraying the coil with "Back to Black" or a similar silicon spray. It also provides a degree of waterproofing and allows sand/mud to be washed off easily.
Follow the inbstructions on the can ie spray on and then polish off. Spray and leave and it remains sticky and picks up all the sand.

OP
OP
Sandscoopdan

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Primary Interest:
I did try discrete mode. It was quiet but i was concerned bout loosing depth. Do ya loose depth in discrete mode?

Silicone spray? only for coil? Not coil connector at housing right?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do lose some depth in discrete, but you aren't really losing anything if you can't hear a signal in the first place. If you increase the elimination in standard mode up to between 2-3 it should help quiet it down when waves are approaching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions