Need advice on the ACE 250 Proformance 9x12 coil.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'm a few days away from ordering an ace 250. For coin hunting on soil/parks, does the 9x12 "Profomance" coil make a noticeable difference for depth? Is this coil designed for greater depth in general? I'm somehow starting to get the impression that it's meant for larger objects. I can get it with the "Pro package"........not sure if it's worth it tough. If it can increase depth for a coin by an inch or two, I'd definately get it though.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In general the larger the coil the greater the depth and the more ground covered in a swing. For parks this more ground covered can be a bad thing, and if there’s allot of trash it’s a very bad thing.
That’s were the sniper coil shines, reads targets around trash where a larger coil would only report the strongest signal.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ricardo: The 9x12 coil will probably provide a bit more depth, but will also pick up more targets that are close together, causing mixed signals. For large areas without a lot of trash, it provides the chance to cover more ground per hour.

It all depends on your hunt conditions; good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with an Ace 250 8)

DFIU

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think its a good idea to have three coils in your arsenal. your standard size coil (the workhorse), a small coil (for high trash areas), and a large coil (for large fairly clean areas). some would argue that a DD coil is essential as well for highly minerilized conditions. if i were you i would go ahead and get the pro pack.that way you will only have to get the small coil to round out your detecting gear.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'll see what else gets added to this post, however, I'll probably as you mentioned HP, get the pro package and do some serious testing. Perhaps get someone with a better detector to lock onto a deeper coin and then go over the coin with the stock and 9x12 coils. Trust me, I'll test that larger coil until it either earns its keep or it will get Ebay'd! :) I'm sure it can resell for a few dollars.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollowheads suggestion and reasoning is sound. If you can afford it, all three coils are best. For your Ace decisions, though, I dont think that the largest coil will get used as much as you might imagine. From your comments here and elsewhere and knowing the places we detectorists normally take a detector, especially in the beginning, I doubt the large coil will be needed for awhile.

Unless you will spend the majority of your time in the raw woods and fields, get the stock unit and the sniper and have at it. I'd get the large coil ast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread