AT Pro Ground Balance in Water

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was in the middle Chesapeake Bay yesterday. I ground balanced several times and the number was 11 or 10. I didn't think the water was very salty, maybe it is? The detector was unstable and difficult to pin point. I did manage to find a pocket knife, bottle caps, and some weird rock.

Any helpful hints or thoughts?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bay is at least brackish, if not salt like the ocean. 10 or so is about right for salt water. Back down the sensitivity about 3 notches until stable. You'll still get plenty of depth.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, mine runs about 10 in the ocean around here. I also agree that you have to turn the sensitivity down at least 3-4 notches until the falsing stops.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may help or not ...Just in case you didnt do this ...before ground balance Do not discrimnate anything...In other words start with Zero discrim before ground balancing!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check that rock with a magnet could be a meteor.

OP
OP
PA John

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the advice everyone.

Now I gotta fix my boat! Figures!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also found that if I remove the coil cover for salt water hunting there is a lot less falsing due to sand not being trapped between the coil and the coil cover. Our beaches are mostly sugar sand and you don't really bump into rocks so breaking a coil is not a concern for me. This may work for you if you have the same type of beach but if it has a rocky bottom it would be safer to use the coil cover.

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bay has had a very high salinity this year. I was out by the bay yesterday and I had trouble bc imy detector wouldn't settle down at all. Bay was so salty that flounder and puppy drum were being caught on a regular bases all the way up to kent island.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bay has had a very high salinity this year. I was out by the bay yesterday and I had trouble bc imy detector wouldn't settle down at all. Bay was so salty that flounder and puppy drum were being caught on a regular bases all the way up to kent island.

Missedshed,
Try this next time you hit the bay or ocean.Just try it once for me and let me know how it worked out for you.
1) Take your coil cover off.
2) turn the sensitivity down to 1/2
3) ground balance it underwater
4) re-adjust sensitivity up or down till the chattering stops.
5) with salt water you may have to adjust your ground balance & sensitivity from time to time.
With the sensitivity lower you won't lose depth because the salinity in the water will increase conductivity.
Kinda like how people get more depth with their machines when they hunt on wet ground after it rains. But you have the salt water which is even more conductive than plain water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PA John

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I thought someone said to Ground Balance in Zero mode then switch modes to your choice.

Can anyone confirm this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread