Hey Coin Hunters...Want To Double or Triple Your $$$. Write to Your Congress........

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Long Live the Dollar Coin!!! Please read the article below, and note the savings by switching to a dollar, maybe a 2 dollar coin. The savings are actually greater, if you include the recovery rate of these coins back into circulation by "us" at absolutely no cost to the Government. Why not send a letter supporting this action. It's a win-win situation for everybody!

Please click below to explain the savings by producing only coins! :

Legislation Introduced to Eliminate Dollar Bill in Favor of Dollar Coins | TIME.com

uscoins-1.jpg

Here are my totals from this year alone.....not my best year neither. If you were to add your average yearly finds to my totals......you would see a significant increase. We just need to get organized and do a good letter writing campaign, to get those coins in circulation. :)

us coin.jpg

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my mind, they lose money when we bring coins back into circ.

Imagine, if you destroy a USD reserve note - It removes currency from circulation. Therefore making all other USDs that much more rare, and valuable.

Image, if I create 1,000,000,000,000,000 USD reserve notes. This would flood the system, and make them less valuable.

Therefore, Mders diggin coins out of the ground removes value from the circulating currency ( albeit, very microscopically)

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been hoping for this policy to take place for many a year - follow the lead of Canada and have a one dollar and two dollar coin, the U.S. must have millions of dollar coins in their vaults right now that need to get out into peoples pockets - and the U.S. should also eliminate the blasted zinc penny. I have been finding a one dollar coin for about every one thousand coins that I coinshoot. I want to find the pile of one and two dollar coins that you find every year John - Lol.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can always ask for rolls of the $1.00 at your local bank and spend them for coffee, etc.....it'll help get them in circulation.

Regards + HH

Bill

I have been hoping for this policy to take place for many a year - follow the lead of Canada and have a one dollar and two dollar coin, the U.S. must have millions of dollar coins in their vaults right now that need to get out into peoples pockets - and the U.S. should also eliminate the blasted zinc penny. I have been finding a one dollar coin for about every one thousand coins that I coinshoot. I want to find the pile of one and two dollar coins that you find every year John - Lol.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It won't work in this country.... When we had the last dollar coin in this USA i would get any were from $25.00 to $50.00 worth every week.........And spend them............... The post office put them as change in there coin stamp machines .... But i never see one in circulation...................... The people in this country are so stupid they get them and hord them like they are Gold coins........ I would love to see $1.00 & $2.00 in this country........... To many horders or collectors in this country ............................

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It won't work in this country.... When we had the last dollar coin in this USA i would get any were from $25.00 to $50.00 worth every week.........And spend them............... The post office put them as change in there coin stamp machines .... But i never see one in circulation...................... The people in this country are so stupid they get them and hord them like they are Gold coins........ I would love to see $1.00 & $2.00 in this country........... To many horders or collectors in this country ............................

It certainly doesn't help that Congress has lately (well, since 1999 anyway) been turning all our new coinage into short-minted commemoratives. I do have a near-complete State Quarter set and growing National Park quarter and Presidential Dollar sets, but that doesn't stop me from spending the varieties I already have. Honestly, they should have ended cent production with the 2009 Lincoln commemorative. $2 bills are still printed, just in short enough supply to make them collectible but still spendable. Not sure I'd want to see $2 coins (from an MD perspective, let's do $5 coins too :laughing9: ) but the dollar coin is a great idea.

I just have one question: if the Mint is losing money stamping coins NOW, how would converting $1 from paper to metal be "profitable"?

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It certainly doesn't help that Congress has lately (well, since 1999 anyway) been turning all our new coinage into short-minted commemoratives. I do have a near-complete State Quarter set and growing National Park quarter and Presidential Dollar sets, but that doesn't stop me from spending the varieties I already have. Honestly, they should have ended cent production with the 2009 Lincoln commemorative. $2 bills are still printed, just in short enough supply to make them collectible but still spendable. Not sure I'd want to see $2 coins (from an MD perspective, let's do $5 coins too :laughing9: ) but the dollar coin is a great idea.

I just have one question: if the Mint is losing money stamping coins NOW, how would converting $1 from paper to metal be "profitable"?

Metal coins last 5 x as long as paper money, and lost coinage can be found and recycled by people using metal detectors. Paper money lost disintegrates quickly and can not be found with metal detectors.

How many millions of coins are found by metal detectorists total in USA a year you figure?

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal coins last 5 x as long as paper money, and lost coinage can be found and recycled by people using metal detectors. Paper money lost disintegrates quickly and can not be found with metal detectors.

How many millions of coins are found by metal detectorists total in USA a year you figure?

It won't last very long at all if Congress starts looking into alternative metals. I'm 28, and zinc pennies from my childhood come out of the ground in rotten fragments. Zinc-coated steel, one of the metal combinations they're looking into, won't last a year in water, or wet or moist ground. Once the copper plating on the current cents erodes or is eaten away the zinc deteriorates very rapidly due to the high chlorine content in the water. That said,

How long do you think American coinage will last in the ground if they stop using the semi-durable clad alloy they're using now?

How long does brass last in the ground? That would be your standard for the current dollar coins. I've found some pretty crappy looking state quarters so I have to wonder about those. Zinc cents are worthless after 10 years, some even sooner. Nickels and dimes have the risk of the copper leaching through and causing heavy acidic reactions with the dirt and chemically-treated water, and the solid copper cents (1959-1981) don't have any nickel so they turn red after a while too, although they do stay round and whole a lot longer. The last time I went to the CoinStar machine it rejected 6 of my dimes that had turned red. Only the quarters from the 1960s and 1970s seem to hold up to the weather and ground conditions. Silver has the best longevity that I've seen personally, and I'm sure gold coinage has the same durability.

So you tell me, kind sir (whose government was smart enough to just flat eliminate the cent this year), how many millions of coins WILL be found in twenty years after they start using cheaper metals? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread