Ace350 depth compared to at pro

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. Im wondering if anyone has or know someone who has used these 2 machines. Wifey gave me the go-ahead to upgrade(cant believe it either) but i'd like to get the best for my needs. I mainly coin hunt at old home sites, class A roads, and fields. More depth is what I want. Im graduating from ace150 so either is gonna have a learning curve. Do these two machines get similar depth? I dont think I need all the bells and whistles the at pro offers(although waterproof is nice) but if it 'sees' deeper even by an inch or two then that would seal the deal for me. I guess im only looking at garrett because im very pleased with their products. My kids have left my ace in the ran, been stepped on, wife slammed it in the car door and an avalanch of boulders roll over it and works like the day I unboxed it. Same goes for my propointer. Takes lots of abuse and works like new. Sorry, im not a garrett sales or spokesman, im just happy with the products. Any info is greatly welcomed and thanks for your time.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with the Ace 350 and quickly got bored with it and upgraded to the ATpro.
Which wasn't very cost effective. I should have just started out with the ATpro.
If you have permission to upgrade, of the two then get the ATpro.
The ATpro is like having two detectors in one.
You can initially start out using in Standard mode which works very similar to the Ace models.
When you want to go further with your detecting skills and expertise all you have to do is switch it into pro Mode and it's like having a brand new and more advanced metal detector.

First of all the ATpro has two modes, Standard and Pro. Standard mode is very similar to the Ace models so there will be very little you will have to learn operating it in that mode. There is a VDI screen that gives you numbers that coincide with different metals to help you determine going by sound and the numbers what the object is under the coil before you dig. It also has Pro mode which is a little more advanced but not tough to learn but will help you get more depth. There is also Iron Audio which will give a grunt like sound if iron is under the coil, and ground balancing which will get you more depth which the 350 dosen't have. It also works on 15kHz which is better for finding gold the Ace350 works on 8.25 khz.
The waterproof feature is nice even when you are not around lakes or the ocean. I like going to parks when there is drizzle or light rain because there is no one there to bother you and you have the park all to yourself.

My advice to you would be to get the ATpro. The better deal is to order it in the 2 coil "Spring Package" It has the standard 8.5 x11 DD coil and the 5 x8 DD coil for using in areas with a lot of trash items like bottlecaps and pulltabs, nails ect. In the long run it is much, much cheaper to get them as a set then to purchase seperately. Belive me you will find out quickly once you get to parks and other public places how much better the 5x8 works in trashy areas.
I believe Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net has them still. Call him (Phone: 405-206-9010) and tell him you are from the forums. He is a forum sponsor and he will give you a better deal than you can find on the internet. I have dealt with him several times and have found he is a great guy to deal with and talk to. I have found him to be an honest person who is more than happy to answer your questions and give you an honest opinion on what you should get based on your needs and not his profit margin.

Here is the Garrett site that has many helpful videos on the features of the machine and how to operate it in different conditions. I suggest you read up a little on the features so if you have any questions you can get them answered when you call. I wound up watching the videos and read the users manual online just after I ordered mine so when it arrived I was able to take it out right away and have a pretty good idea of what I was doing with it in Pro mode. I pretty much exclusively use Pro mode now because it proforms way better than the basic standard mode that is similar to the Ace models.

Ace 350 Specs: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ace_350_key_features.aspx

ATpro Specs: Garrett AT PRO Key Features

ATpro manual: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/1533200_atpro_english.pdf

ATpro How to Videos: Garrett AT PRO Training, "From the Field" and Tip Videos

Last edited:
OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a ton. Thats great info. I believe I will get the at pro. Very few people talk badly about them. Thanks also for the tip about barts. He is very respected on the forums and i will buy through him.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.
Glad I could help.
Happy hunting.
Ace

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the pro, it's more cost effective than going in the $1000+ detectors but in my estimation it is 2 times better than the 250. Like ACE350 said it's like 2 detectors in one and from the 150 to the 350 there isn't much difference for the money. Go to the Pro and you will be happy you did.

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the same experiences with the Ace 350, Got an AT Gold last week. What a difference. Really cool machine

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the 250 & right away what I learned (using the AT Pro) was the less junk I dig...a little more depth as I started in promode right away...But the biggest thing I like is the fact that its waterproof

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im new to this forum, and glad to find this.

After a considerable amount of research. I decided on the AT Gold. Is it worth the extra 3 MHz? I guess I'll find out. I'm new to this hobby, but didn't want to spend thousands. I've found areas that had gold in it without using MD. So hoping this will assist in prospecting.
This was only 100 more than the AT Pro and with the extra MHz, it might hit some of the smaller gold.
Either way its for the thrill of the hunt and being outdoors.
Good luck and HH

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GarretDiggingAz, THe At Gold is more sensitive to the smaller gold. It's a good choice for your area. The only place the At Gold isn't a good choice is saltwater.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah if they made AT Gold able to do saltwater that'd be great. But No. That's fine though since we don't have saltwater here. Though I wonder if having really hard water effects it at all? Come on Xmas.
Does anybody need a MD buddy here in AZ? I'm by casa grande.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread