Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2012
    7 times

Need your advice

Looking at buying an AT Pro, been a whites man for thirty years, I've looked at mine lab safari, 705... Several have recommended the pro, I mostly like to hunt coins an relics! What do you all think? Input? Thanks ahead of time!

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6546 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I am pondering this myself. I like how the at can go underwater.
    Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

us
    Nov 2011
    553 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you are just going after coins, the AT pro. If you want relics, the AT Gold. But either will work well for both. The ATG is not as sensitive to silver but still gets deep silver coins that other machines missed.
    If your heart is in it you will find a thousand ways to achieve your goal.
    If your heart is not in it you will find a thousand excuses.

Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

My new motto: L-rods are obsolete.

Like Cappy sings with his harmonica, "We're all gonna die, but not tonight."

May you never take one single breath for granted.

May 2012
    7 times
    I'm leaning AT Pro now, I'm glad I asked for everyone's opinion !

May 2012
    7 times
    What the main diff between gold an pro? When I say relics I mean buttons small items etc. I just didn't want to get a machine that sounds like its just for gold.

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    67 times
    Relic Hunting
    You are a White's guy... Do you like the threshold? The AT Pro is a "silent searcher" whereas the AT Gold has a threshold and a TRUE all-metal mode. The AT Pro is a 14kz machine, the GOLD is a 18kz machine. The AT Pro can be used in salt water with proper ground balance and a slight reduction in sensitivity. The GOLD isn't recommended for salt water use. I have a Pro and like it, the silent search took some getting used to and I still wonder if I'm missing anything by not hearing a waver in the threshold. I do hunt salt water, so I know it works there. Would love to have a AT Gold to complement the Pro... the Gold also has a Desc1 setting specifically designed for relic hunting . Disc2 is designed for coins. If the programming of the Gold was such that it could be used in salt water, it would be near perfect....IMHO

If you get the Pro, I suggest getting the 5x8 coil that comes with the Gold, it works well in trash and is deep.
    Last edited by Dwight S; Dec 13, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

May 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight S
    You are a White's guy... Do you like the threshold? The AT Pro is a "silent searcher" whereas the AT Gold has a threshold and a TRUE all-metal mode. The AT Pro is a 14kz machine, the GOLD is a 18kz machine. The AT Pro can be used in salt water with proper ground balance and a slight reduction in sensitivity. The GOLD isn't recommended for salt water use. I have a Pro and like it, the silent search took some getting used to and I still wonder if I'm missing anything by not hearing a waver in the threshold. I do hunt salt water, so I know it works there. Would love to have a AT Gold to complement the Pro... the Gold also has a Desc1 setting specifically designed for relic hunting . Disc2 is designed for coins. If the programming of the Gold was such that it could be used in salt water, it would be near perfect....IMHO

If you get the Pro, I suggest getting the 5x8 coil that comes with the Gold, it works well in trash and is deep.
    At no time will I be in salt water, I live in so.illinois s.e. mo area and will be searching old homesteads, Civil War sites. With that in mind would the gold work better or the pro?

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    67 times
    Relic Hunting
    Some additional info for you to think about… The AT Pro has Standard and Pro Modes. These two modes work differently to allow novice detectorists some room to learn and grow. The Standard mode is similar to the Ace series of detectors. It gives a loud signal regardless of target depth. The Pro mode (Proportional audio, not “Professional”) gives a proportional audio response of the target size and depth, much like your White’s. The deeper the target is, the fainter the signal will be. Now, under the two modes, you have 3 different discrimination settings, Custom, Coins and Zero. The Custom allows you to custom notch discriminate out certain signals like foil and at the end of the day you turn off the detector, those settings are saved for your next adventure. The Coins setting is pre-programmed to notch out iron and other trash, leaving the coin range for cherry picking. The Zero setting is no discrimination at start-up. You can notch discriminate out however you please, but when you turn off the detector, you lose your discrimination settings; this also goes for the Coin discrimination program as well.
    The AT Gold does not have the Standard and Pro modes. The Gold is a proportional audio detector with the threshold. It does not have notch discrimination either; you are stuck with what Garrett gives you. Of course, it gives you a relic setting (Disc 1) and a coin setting (Disc 2) plus a true All-metal mode that should give you additional depth.
    Both detectors allow for automatic and manual ground balancing but the AT Gold also has a ground balance window for additional flexibility.
    No detector is going to be absolutely perfect… It’s a decision you have to make. If it were I and I lived where you do, and knowing my preference of hunting is relics and homesteads, I’d go for the GOLD. The 5x8 coil will work really well in iron infested old home sites and the true all metal mode will give you the depth you need and the iron audio will be valuable as well.
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

May 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight S
    Some additional info for you to think about... The AT Pro has Standard and Pro Modes. These two modes work differently to allow novice detectorists some room to learn and grow. The Standard mode is similar to the Ace series of detectors. It gives a loud signal regardless of target depth. The Pro mode (Proportional audio, not “Professional&rdquo gives a proportional audio response of the target size and depth, much like your White’s. The deeper the target is, the fainter the signal will be. Now, under the two modes, you have 3 different discrimination settings, Custom, Coins and Zero. The Custom allows you to custom notch discriminate out certain signals like foil and at the end of the day you turn off the detector, those settings are saved for your next adventure. The Coins setting is pre-programmed to notch out iron and other trash, leaving the coin range for cherry picking. The Zero setting is no discrimination at start-up. You can notch discriminate out however you please, but when you turn off the detector, you lose your discrimination settings; this also goes for the Coin discrimination program as well.
    The AT Gold does not have the Standard and Pro modes. The Gold is a proportional audio detector with the threshold. It does not have notch discrimination either; you are stuck with what Garrett gives you. Of course, it gives you a relic setting (Disc 1) and a coin setting (Disc 2) plus a true All-metal mode that should give you additional depth.
    Both detectors allow for automatic and manual ground balancing but the AT Gold also has a ground balance window for additional flexibility.
    No detector is going to be absolutely perfect... It’s a decision you have to make. If it were I and I lived where you do, and knowing my preference of hunting is relics and homesteads, I’d go for the GOLD. The 5x8 coil will work really well in iron infested old home sites and the true all metal mode will give you the depth you need and the iron audio will be valuable as well.
    Dwight I sure do appreciate your in depth information , that's what I needed, I am very grateful that you took the time to explain the differences ! I would agree on the gold after your explanation of how it works !

us
    Dec 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
    242 times
    Prospecting
    I went with a gold after doing research. Part of my reason of gold over Pro was the MHz. Getting a little deeper is always better. Now just learning the blips and beeps.

us
    Nov 2012
    Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
    1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
    367 times
    Metal Detecting
    Had a Gold for three weeks now, really happy. Just this snow would melt so I can go out again.
    The RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..What part of "WILL NOT BE INFRINGED" Don't you understand?? That means ANY Gun law ever passed is unconstitutional!
    We have a GREAT President; Support him in draining the Swamp

au
    Jul 2008
    TNQ
    73 times
    My choice for relic and coins. ..............Garrett CSI Pro Evidence Recovery Metal Detector | Manufacturer

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links