dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am pondering this myself. I like how the at can go underwater.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just going after coins, the AT pro. If you want relics, the AT Gold. But either will work well for both. The ATG is not as sensitive to silver but still gets deep silver coins that other machines missed.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
I'm leaning AT Pro now, I'm glad I asked for everyone's opinion !

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
What the main diff between gold an pro? When I say relics I mean buttons small items etc. I just didn't want to get a machine that sounds like its just for gold.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are a White's guy... Do you like the threshold? The AT Pro is a "silent searcher" whereas the AT Gold has a threshold and a TRUE all-metal mode. The AT Pro is a 14kz machine, the GOLD is a 18kz machine. The AT Pro can be used in salt water with proper ground balance and a slight reduction in sensitivity. The GOLD isn't recommended for salt water use. I have a Pro and like it, the silent search took some getting used to and I still wonder if I'm missing anything by not hearing a waver in the threshold. I do hunt salt water, so I know it works there. Would love to have a AT Gold to complement the Pro... the Gold also has a Desc1 setting specifically designed for relic hunting . Disc2 is designed for coins. If the programming of the Gold was such that it could be used in salt water, it would be near perfect....IMHO

If you get the Pro, I suggest getting the 5x8 coil that comes with the Gold, it works well in trash and is deep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Dwight S said:
You are a White's guy... Do you like the threshold? The AT Pro is a "silent searcher" whereas the AT Gold has a threshold and a TRUE all-metal mode. The AT Pro is a 14kz machine, the GOLD is a 18kz machine. The AT Pro can be used in salt water with proper ground balance and a slight reduction in sensitivity. The GOLD isn't recommended for salt water use. I have a Pro and like it, the silent search took some getting used to and I still wonder if I'm missing anything by not hearing a waver in the threshold. I do hunt salt water, so I know it works there. Would love to have a AT Gold to complement the Pro... the Gold also has a Desc1 setting specifically designed for relic hunting . Disc2 is designed for coins. If the programming of the Gold was such that it could be used in salt water, it would be near perfect....IMHO

If you get the Pro, I suggest getting the 5x8 coil that comes with the Gold, it works well in trash and is deep.

At no time will I be in salt water, I live in so.illinois s.e. mo area and will be searching old homesteads, Civil War sites. With that in mind would the gold work better or the pro?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some additional info for you to think about… The AT Pro has Standard and Pro Modes. These two modes work differently to allow novice detectorists some room to learn and grow. The Standard mode is similar to the Ace series of detectors. It gives a loud signal regardless of target depth. The Pro mode (Proportional audio, not “Professional”) gives a proportional audio response of the target size and depth, much like your White’s. The deeper the target is, the fainter the signal will be. Now, under the two modes, you have 3 different discrimination settings, Custom, Coins and Zero. The Custom allows you to custom notch discriminate out certain signals like foil and at the end of the day you turn off the detector, those settings are saved for your next adventure. The Coins setting is pre-programmed to notch out iron and other trash, leaving the coin range for cherry picking. The Zero setting is no discrimination at start-up. You can notch discriminate out however you please, but when you turn off the detector, you lose your discrimination settings; this also goes for the Coin discrimination program as well.
The AT Gold does not have the Standard and Pro modes. The Gold is a proportional audio detector with the threshold. It does not have notch discrimination either; you are stuck with what Garrett gives you. Of course, it gives you a relic setting (Disc 1) and a coin setting (Disc 2) plus a true All-metal mode that should give you additional depth.
Both detectors allow for automatic and manual ground balancing but the AT Gold also has a ground balance window for additional flexibility.
No detector is going to be absolutely perfect… It’s a decision you have to make. If it were I and I lived where you do, and knowing my preference of hunting is relics and homesteads, I’d go for the GOLD. The 5x8 coil will work really well in iron infested old home sites and the true all metal mode will give you the depth you need and the iron audio will be valuable as well.

OP
OP
meb9054

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Dwight S said:
Some additional info for you to think about... The AT Pro has Standard and Pro Modes. These two modes work differently to allow novice detectorists some room to learn and grow. The Standard mode is similar to the Ace series of detectors. It gives a loud signal regardless of target depth. The Pro mode (Proportional audio, not “Professional”) gives a proportional audio response of the target size and depth, much like your White’s. The deeper the target is, the fainter the signal will be. Now, under the two modes, you have 3 different discrimination settings, Custom, Coins and Zero. The Custom allows you to custom notch discriminate out certain signals like foil and at the end of the day you turn off the detector, those settings are saved for your next adventure. The Coins setting is pre-programmed to notch out iron and other trash, leaving the coin range for cherry picking. The Zero setting is no discrimination at start-up. You can notch discriminate out however you please, but when you turn off the detector, you lose your discrimination settings; this also goes for the Coin discrimination program as well.
The AT Gold does not have the Standard and Pro modes. The Gold is a proportional audio detector with the threshold. It does not have notch discrimination either; you are stuck with what Garrett gives you. Of course, it gives you a relic setting (Disc 1) and a coin setting (Disc 2) plus a true All-metal mode that should give you additional depth.
Both detectors allow for automatic and manual ground balancing but the AT Gold also has a ground balance window for additional flexibility.
No detector is going to be absolutely perfect... It’s a decision you have to make. If it were I and I lived where you do, and knowing my preference of hunting is relics and homesteads, I’d go for the GOLD. The 5x8 coil will work really well in iron infested old home sites and the true all metal mode will give you the depth you need and the iron audio will be valuable as well.

Dwight I sure do appreciate your in depth information , that's what I needed, I am very grateful that you took the time to explain the differences ! I would agree on the gold after your explanation of how it works !

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went with a gold after doing research. Part of my reason of gold over Pro was the MHz. Getting a little deeper is always better. Now just learning the blips and beeps.

pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a Gold for three weeks now, really happy. Just this snow would melt so I can go out again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread