Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought an AT Pro last week and training myself in parks. My settings are: PRO, Custom, sensitivity 100%. I'm getting readings all the time at 6" or more with VDI between 82-90. I digged a 14" hole yesterday and hit cement all the time!!
Its this normal?

It might be normal when you run it with sens maxed out like that. That is like driving in the fog with your brights turned on. Back off the sens to half way. Everyone thinks they'll get more depth with sens maxed out and you don't.

Don't get me started on the short comings of the ATP because I don't want to raise my blood pressure. I won't use mine.:BangHead:

OP
OP
N

ndamusr

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
San Francisco, Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you...about 3 different targets I got 6"+ and hit cement. But gave me VDI of 83+

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try running it in Pro Zero. Ground balance the unit and then advance the Iron Discrimination to around 35. Run the sensitivity as high as you can without it falsing or sounding like a chatter box. I have used my AT Pro many times with the sensitivity all the way. If it gets noisy (because of excessive EMI) I back it down until it runs smooth. I also have tried changing frequency on the unit (Press and hold pinpoint and then press the sensitivity button either up or down) and have on a few occasions made the unit run quieter (happens more frequently if another detector is nearby and intefering with it, but can help with some EMI issues). A good coin target should have a steady VDI unmber.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you said the signals are running 82-90? If they are going thru all those numbers, the sensitivty is way to high, i have mine notch about 2 bars from Max, If you are in a junk area, they will go crazy. Plus you want to focus on repeatable numbers, they usally only change withing a couple numbers..Like 80-82 maybe 83. But if it jumps from 80 to 90...its junk or falsing out on something in the ground. I went thru the exact same thing.

good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ndamusr

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2012
San Francisco, Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Also, you said the signals are running 82-90? If they are going thru all those numbers, the sensitivty is way to high, i have mine notch about 2 bars from Max, If you are in a junk area, they will go crazy. Plus you want to focus on repeatable numbers, they usally only change withing a couple numbers..Like 80-82 maybe 83. But if it jumps from 80 to 90...its junk or falsing out on something in the ground. I went thru the exact same thing.

good luck

Thank you for the advice. Those three time were giving me high numbers, but, you're right. They jumped from about 79-86+. The weird thing is that when I digged those 3 targets, I hit cement.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using max sens. will drive you nuts in an area that is dirty with iron targets, also learning your detector in a place like that would be like taking your first driving lesson on the busiest freeway in LA. Try going to a soccer or football field so you can learn what the targets sound like, then when you have mastered that learn how to pick out those sounds from a dirty park areas.

Most cement has re-bar or other bits of iron to help give it strength, I would think you may be hitting on those iron bits. Iron when it is old will often give a higher number on the VID but the thing is the numbers will be jumping all over the place. This usually is where I turn on the iron audio and it will let you know. Old cast iron can trick you because it will give a solid signal and no grunt with the IA on)
Galvanized steal and iron will give a number in the 80s and a galvanized culvert can be picked up 2 ft deep.

The ATPro is my first machine and it was easy to master using cleaner sites, now I can predict what the target is going to be 95% of the time. Good luck, I can't wait to see your finds. ( I have to get off my duff and start posting mine as well)
ZDD

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I run pro zero, max sense in the trashiest park on earth and I do not find it too crazy and noisy and "falsey". I dig anything not iron. The atpro zeros in on tiny bits of foil and small brass rivets right in the middle of a slurry of pull tabs and rusty crowns, and it pp's like a wizard, so you should have no problem recovering these things. But I have two solid seasons under my belt with atpro. Hang in there and you will get it soon. You gotta put the time in. If you are digging cement, you are being fooled by big rebar, that is your problem. Go somewhere else where you are not detecting over old concrete. And quit looking at numbers, it will do you no good at learning metal detecting.

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Until you've gotten a little more use to the machine you may not want to start out in pro mode, it's nice to have, but until you get a little more experienced you may want to stay in STD mode, I've been detecting off and on for around 8 yrs and this is a little getting use to for me, in pro mode but I'm getting the hang of it a little more each time I take it out, more keepers than weepers... I don't know if you've ever used another detector or not but the AT PRO in Pro Mode I wouldn't recommend for a person just starting out....but know this you have a real nice machine..... check out these videos on the AT PRO it may help GarrettATPro - YouTube

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run pro zero, max sense in the trashiest park on earth and I do not find it too crazy and noisy and "falsey". I dig anything not iron. The atpro zeros in on tiny bits of foil and small brass rivets right in the middle of a slurry of pull tabs and rusty crowns, and it pp's like a wizard, so you should have no problem recovering these things. But I have two solid seasons under my belt with atpro. Hang in there and you will get it soon. You gotta put the time in. If you are digging cement, you are being fooled by big rebar, that is your problem. Go somewhere else where you are not detecting over old concrete. And quit looking at numbers, it will do you no good at learning metal detecting.
Repeat last sentence over & over until it sticks in your head!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repeat last sentence over & over until it sticks in your head!

So you agree that looking at the numbers does me no good??? WOW...the AT Pro has 2 tones..besides iron....how else would you knwow what your digging?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ReallY???...Do you dig alot of Steel Screw Tops?

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at pages 15-18 in the AT Pro owners manual for a good discription of the Propotional Audio (called Pro Audio) feature. When using this feature, both large and shallow objects will sound loud, deeper targets will sound softer. When you get a loud target, raise the coil while scanning and see if the sound drops sharply. If it remains very loud its likely a very large object and not a coin. If the sound drops off quickly then it is likely a shallow target (remember proportional audio means the sound is in proportion to the target; size and or depth). Use your pinpoint function to "paint the target" moving your coil left/right away from you/back toward you listening to the audio and looking at the bars moving on the top of the display. You should be able to almost mentally see the size and or shape of the target.
The final judge of a target is "up to you". Remember "good audio wins the day". I am by no means an expert. I learn something new almost every time I hunt. These are just my suggestions.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey newbie. Welcome to our hobby. I'm a newbie as well and have the ATG. Just getting started with mine and in watching videos they always say to dig when in doubt. That means you and I will be digging a lot. Also in watching and reading. I believe it's more in tone than number first. There's the three tones (high, med, low) plus iron disc (grunt noise). I'd remember the sound for conc. rebar plus notice numbers jumping.
A question I've got is that with numbers jumping. Is it possibly picking up multiple object?
Happy Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought an AT Pro last week and training myself in parks. My settings are: PRO, Custom, sensitivity 100%. I'm getting readings all the time at 6" or more with VDI between 82-90. I digged a 14" hole yesterday and hit cement all the time!!
Its this normal?

Avoid std mode. Go pro, zero mode. Beginner?, then set sense at 2 bars. Gb decently. Learn the three tone audio. Dig everything high pitch for your first fifty targets. Big aluminum will be high pitched, but dont worry, just dig it out anyway. It helps with learning the machine. As you work the ground, listen to the hundreds and bazillions of low and mid tone crap. After a hundred hours and perhaps as many clad, you may wish to dig iron and foil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions