Ace 250

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
read the owner`s manual over and over till you understand it...take it in the back yard and find a clean spot with no metal...put out some coins and some junk pulltab,lead sinker,rusty nail,hair pin,nuts,bolts....and listen to the sounds the targets make. HH
Gary

OP
OP
Drummochreen 1980

Drummochreen 1980

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Gary will give it a try. It's just the discrimination that's confusing all I seem to be finding is drink cans with the coin setting😳

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin setting is fine as long as you don't want to find gold jewelry. Gold jewelry is similar to aluminum in conductivity, so in the jewelry mode, you will have to dig pulltabs if you want to get small gold. Lots of gold rings ID on both sides of the nickel tab. If you are new to detecting, I recommned you run in Jewlry mode and dig everything while you learn the machine.

To help on cans, when you get a signal, raise the coil a foot off the ground and swing again. If you still get a strong signal, it's probably a can. If there is no signal, the target is much smaller.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Wayne. When I run it on Jewellery mode will I still pick up coins? Thanks again

Yup. it will still pick up coins.

Another tip: Dig all REPEATABLE signals...it your cursor keeps bouncing all around...it's mostly junk, when you have a good repeatable signal..swing left to right...then turn 90 degrees and swing it back and forth again...if it still keeps repeating and the cursor stays above a certain item..then dig it.....the best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice.

You will dig junk and lots of it....it's just part of the hobby...there is no detector that can tell you 100% of the time what is in the ground before you dig.

Good luck and HH

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Dig everything that beeps till you understand the machine. After awhile it will be second nature.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to this as well and my unit says you need 100 hrs to be completely knowledgeable. So I'd say it's just practice, practice, practice. Even then a junk signal could be masking an object below. Especially if its gold. I've heard. "If it beeps. Dig it. ". Unless you had iron discrimination. Just keep digging until you recognize each tone. Always take samples to take to new areas. Since soil conditions could be different.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Jewelry mode eliminates iron and one foil notch, accepts high foil through the high end of the silver scale. I've tested a lot of gold on the Ace series, and it can ID from left of the nickel to up in the silver range.

Wayne

www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice in your backyard.
Use coins, all denominations and jewelry and (trash), scrap bottle caps, nails and aluminum pull tabs from soda cans.
Put them on the ground about 2 foot apart and listen and watch the screen as you pass the coil over each object.
Then put the trash objects near the coins and jewelry in small seperate areas.
Once again, listen and watch the screen as you pass the coil over each object.
After you have done this for a bit you can try using the discriminate button to knock out the undesired objects.
Practice alot in your yard before you go out on your first hunt and learn your machine and then you won't waste your time or pass up good finds when you go out to the better places in your area.
Learn to dig a proper plug in your yard before you go out to a public park and make a mess which will anger people and will eventually get metal detecting banned from the park.

To cut a proper plug after you have pinpointed an object, take your digging tool and cut a circle in the ground about 6-8 inches round. Keep the digging tool straight up and down and not on an angle when you are cutting the plug. Only cut the circle about 3/4 of the way around and then flip over the patch of grass.
(This method is used so all the roots are not cut from the grass so it will recover and not leave a dead brown patch of grass a few days later.) Place a smal rag on the ground next to the plug hole and put any extra dirt from the hole on the rag. When you find the object you are looking for, take the rag and dump the dirt back in the hole. Flip the patch of grass back over and then tamp it back down in place. When you do it right it would be difficult for someone to walk around the area and see where you dug your plugs.

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually instead of circle. Cut only three sides. Leaves roots intact. Learned this from a video from chicagoron61 on utube. Think was called target recovery 101. I highly recommend all MDers check it out. Refer everyone to it especially if you want to keep hunting in parks. He knows his stuff.

tyrooney

Dec 27, 2012
southern california
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually run my Ace on jewelry mode. I run the sensitivity on 4 or 5. I have picked up dimes real deep (8") in sand (tot lot) and found gold as well. My latest gold was a 12.6 gram ring 18k. It rang up as a nickel.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you a PM on some things that helped me during my hunts...it is a great machine to start with.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually run my Ace on jewelry mode. I run the sensitivity on 4 or 5. I have picked up dimes real deep (8") in sand (tot lot) and found gold as well. My latest gold was a 12.6 gram ring 18k. It rang up as a nickel.

You know..when i hunted gold with this machine..I only used the Nickel and Pulltab mode, and i found all mine in that range, nothing as big as yours, but its good to know i wasnt missing the bigs ones..

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As everyone says it's all about practice and learning your machine, some days you will think your a pro then there will be days you want to cuss it because it will seem your only digging trash but the more you go the better you understand your machine. practice with your sensitivity as well lower i tin heavy trash areas and it will reduce the number of bottle caps and tabs you dig. More often than not if you get a real strong signal at 6"+ it is probably a can.

I use a 5" x 2" rectangular masonry trowel i bought at Lowes and sharpened the edges a lil bit and it is better than a Lesch digging trowel. I cut a very precise 3 sided rectangle and slide the trowel under the sod and peel back. You never see where you dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread