Random beeps on brand new ace 250, help please!!!

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought a new ace 250 a couple days ago. Took it out in my yard a couple times and yes it does detect metal, as I have found a few coins and my grandfathers lost wedding ring , but at the same time it randomly starts beeping. I would dig a target and lay my MD on the ground away form the target hole/shovel/anything else metallic and randomly it starts beeping. Turned the sensitivity down (it's always at factory settings, not set higher) and it would stop for a minute and then Start beeping again. Tried to reset it by holding down the power button until it beeped a couple times indicating a reset, but it would go back to beeping randomly. Batteries are fresh and new. There's also no power lines near that would throw it off. Even when I had it pointing straight in the air I would get these ghosts beeps. This is worrying me because I literally just bought this machine. It does this on all settings, all metal,jewelry,custom,relic and coins. I hope I added enough info to rule out some possibilities, but I have no clue what else it could be?!?! I'm pretty sure the soil isn't highly mineralized, I live in Pennsylvania. Could it be that the coil cord isn't wrapped tightly enough around the detector? (It is wrapped well though) I'm just out of ideas and like I said, I just purchased this machine brand new a couple days ago, I'm just hoping I don't have to send it into the company to get fixed :( please help, we have a couple days coming up that will be in the 50s temperature range and I want to make the best of it. Thanks in advanced guys!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a sensitivity issue -

try turning it down (as far as needed) to stop the chattering

just because you turned it to the factory setting or slightly below doesn't mean you lowered it enough.

Where you are using it - is there a radio station near by? Or anything putting out any kind of Khz of power of any kind?

I had an ace 250 and sometimes I had to turn the sens down to 4ish to get it to calm down depending on where I was hunting

Are you sure your soil isn't heavy mineralized? PA has a mountain chain from what I know and if you're up in elev. it could be due to the soil - we have the same issue here in upper michigan - lower is great but in the UP the soil is rocky/iron laden

if you can't figure it out - being so new they would most likely just exchange it for a new unit if there's an issue with the machine itself.

Keep us posted

HH

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tight, so if it is a crapper, will garret fix/replace it? Or am I out of luck? :(

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tight, so if it is a crapper, will garret fix/replace it? Or am I out of luck? :(

The dealer you bought it from will most likely either replace the coil or the whole machine if need be (if they're a reputable/good dealer) being that it's so new.

No matter what - Garrett themselves have a warranty on the machine and will fix/replace it if need be (assuming you purchased new from authorized dealer)??

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about keeping the sensitivity at 4. You might have the coil cord pulled to tight and loosened the connection on the coil. I had trouble with my Ace250 beeping on every swing so I wrapped some duct tape around the coil cable to the coil. It worked perfect after that.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The op complains about BEEPING, not chatter. Its a crapper.

And maybe the OP being so new to the hobby is actually describing chatter as "beeping" because he doesn't know the difference and/or the correct term to use in his description.

Keep it up "gleaner" - - and remember - - there's an eye in the sky.

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no radio station or tower within reasonable distance. Took it out again today, was pretty calm for the first 30 minutes but then started randomly beeping/chattering again, bouncing from nickels, pennies, dimes and back to iron, this happened while swinging and held up in the air away from the ground or larger metal objects In the yard. Sensitivity has been at 3 and 4. I do find if i turn it off and back on it calms down again. Plus I did not take my cell phone with me today.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
And maybe the OP being so new to the hobby is actually describing chatter as "beeping" because he doesn't know the difference and/or the correct term to use in his description.

Keep it up "gleaner" - - and remember - - there's an eye in the sky.

Please address the op, and don't attack any members, as you have me. We (members) are trying to help the op with his simple question. We do not threaten members that are trying to help out, even if we do not agree. I mean maybe this and maybe that, but the forum is for learning, not bashing and threats. I think the op's machine is a crapper. If you disagree, then that's okay. Just lay off me and get on with it. The op does not need this crap, and I think his ace20 needs a hospital visit. That's the long and short of it. Please tell the poster what you think. Not me. Mkay? ITS SO SIMPLE, A CAVEMAN COULD DO IT. DONT ATTACK.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jangrok

a few of us have tried to help you with our suggestions and/or thoughts on what the problem could be but it doesn't sound like anything has addressed the issue.

The most common issues of what could possibly be wrong and most common possibilities of a fix have been suggested and you've tried/looked for them all but they haven't helped.

If it were me/my machine - at this point I would call the dealer where you purchased it from and describe the issue and all the ways you've tried to resolve it. They should just do a simple exchange for you and then they will ship the old one back to Garrett for credit (at least that's what the company I deal with does) and since it's so new/recent of a purchase.

HH and keep us informed/updated.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i would think you might have a dud coil --if the connection is tight and its still acting up -- coils when they go bad often tend to do what your saying --dd you let the machine stay in the trunk of the car in cold weather / hot weather? --temp extremes can play havoc with detectors --sub 32 degrees and ultra hot car heat can mess with the LCD (liquid * crystal display ) and with the coils

wirh your machine being so new -- it should be covered easily by warrenty --see your dealer or conbtact garratt directly

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I can add to Sandman's post is you will damage the coil wire if you wrap it tight. Use velcro straps instead and make sure its is not pulling where the wires or connector attach.

I would take the detector to a remote area and see if the problem continues. I have a very sensitive detector too. Its what I call hot. I have learned to live with the noise. If your finding things 10" or more, you most likely dont have a problem.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is EMI it can be caused by many things. Wireless networks are TERRIBLE.

Try it in many different places away from any obvious EMI source. If your still have problems contact Garrett direct. Their customer service is out standing! Or if where you bought it from is close have them take a look at it for you. A good dealer can trouble shoot it very quick.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is either EMI or a bad coil. If you noticed the random beeps in only your yard or a congested area, then try moving away from the congestion. Underground electrical lines, radio dog fences, cell towers and most anything producing an electrical pulse can and will cause interference.

Also, check the coil connection, completely remove the coil connection then reattach making sure the pins line up in the holes, push it together and tighten the nut down snug. Make sure your coil cable isn't flopping, follow the wrapping directions in the manual. All these things can cause the problem.

If after you've checked the cable and tried moving away from possible EMI you still have the trouble, visit your dealer or call Garrett, you'll get satisfaction. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread