First finds!

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first silver dime and silver nick this week. I'm enjoying the 250 but already thinking upgrade. Nobody told me MDing was such a nasty addiction. Haha!

image-978709552.jpg

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds silver is always a great find.. Congrats.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I'm in the same boat. I've had the 250 for about 6 months and I'm looking at the AT Pro already.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my Ace 350 for one week and bought an AT Pro!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys aren't giving your old detectors a chance. Ok the At-Pro might be better than the lower end garretts but you can be very successful with the 250 or the 350, specially if you are coinhunting.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I'm running mine 20-25 hours a week. How am I not giving it a chance? I'm not saying I don't find stuff with it. I just want a better idea what I have before I dig.

OP
OP
Jeremy76

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
norbyx said:
You guys aren't giving your old detectors a chance. Ok the At-Pro might be better than the lower end garretts but you can be very successful with the 250 or the 350, specially if you are coinhunting.

I agree norbyx, I'm probably a little too quick with my thoughts of upgrade. I for sure haven't had time to become efficient with my 250. The problem is that minimal success with lesser equipment makes one believe that better equipment equals optimal success. From what very little that I know about this hobby I believe location is the key ingredient...obviously. But better equipment has never hurt, right?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree norbyx, I'm probably a little too quick with my thoughts of upgrade. I for sure haven't had time to become efficient with my 250. The problem is that minimal success with lesser equipment makes one believe that better equipment equals optimal success. From what very little that I know about this hobby I believe location is the key ingredient...obviously. But better equipment has never hurt, right?

Well sometimes more complicated equipment HAS hurt. I, for example, bought the whites v3i as an upgrade to the whites mxt, well it wasn't, the more complicated detector was frustrating to the point that I sold it to get an at-pro... So even if the v3i is a better detector, it was a step back for me since I wasn't able to feel comfortable with it.

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me I have a 350 and dig most every signal ....you never know!!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats nice finds love those Mercs!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice first and many more to come!!

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my 250 but don't plan on upgrading. It does everything I need and with the pro pointer I'm set.

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
I had a 250 for 4 years prior to getting my At Pro. The 250 was very good to me and paid for itself many times over. I really love the ease of use. I have had my At Pro for 6 months now and enjoy the features it brings. The At Pro is definitely deeper. You can set the Pro up to mimic the 250 but you miss out on some of its more powerful features. I won't be getting rid of the 250 , but it is my back up now. The biggest step up for me was getting the pinpointer with my Pro. It really allows me to dig more targets in my allotted time. I hope this helps.
charlie

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i need to buy a pinpointer but dan there expensive

OP
OP
Jeremy76

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the advice.

krissy3mxi

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2013
Nooooo dont get rid of the 250 for the AT PRO the 250 is finding just as much id change the standad rhino coil for a nel coil

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out oldguyproductions on YouTube. He's got a 250. Bought it for 10 or 20 bucks at a garage sale. He finds tons of stuff. I've got the ATGold myself. Finally found 2 rings in one day. 2nd was silver.
I don't know if you really want to upgrade yet. You'll definitely get your money's worth with 250. Save up your clad and other stuff you can recycle or sale to refiners, till you've got enough. I started with the ATG because I wanted to hunt for nuggets but didn't want to spend the thousands. Eventhough you've got the ability to ID the target, plus pinpoint, you're still digging most of the hits. Just like on the 250. It's based on tone. The ID is based on the tone. It kinda gives you a false sense of security (if that's the right term). You'd still dig it up, because even a low ID you could still have a gold ring. The 250 would pick that up. So hang on to it. Familiarize yourself with tones. Save up for the upgrade with your finds.
That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. It takes a good 100 hours to fully understand the ATPro. As where you can pretty much swing, beep, and dig with the 250 and the other ones. Now if it was your first one, I'd say otherwise. It's a hobby to enjoy and expand upon. Use the rewards to upgrade. It'd be more rewarding that way.
Hope that helps for what it's worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread