garrett newbie need pointers

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
FIRST METAL DETECTOR,GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone i just purchased my first metal detector a garrett ace 250,it works good iv ran every possible test on it yet when i go out to hunt i can never dig up what it says is there,its like im just digging holes is this a common noobie problem ?it will give me a strong clear reading on something and yet a hole is dug with nothing to be found is it me or the machine plz help me if ya can, thanks everyone

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked out the Garrett web site they have some fantastic training videos. The AT Pro vids have some really good pointers on pin pointing techniques. Check them out they really helped me out, and I still look at them during the winter to keep me sharp.
ZDD

t

Gumybob

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Gilbert Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zag, Hope you don't mind if I join your thread. I was just thinking of posting the same thread. Just bought a GTI 2500 and waiting for it to arrive. Plan on watching the video's on their website and looking forward to getting any advice from all of you on this board. I live in Gilbert Az. but also have a place up in Happy Jack and would like to hit the stream beds in search from nuggets this summer. Current plan is to learn on my yard, then move to some parks (permission allowed), then to the streams. My unit comes with the Super Deep Imaging Coil (11" I think) so I would appreciate any advice on the next coil I may need for stream searching. Hopefully you all can help out the newbies here. Also looking for the guy on here that works the Clear Creak area. Thanks.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello everyone i just purchased my first metal detector a garrett ace 250,it works good iv ran every possible test on it yet when i go out to hunt i can never dig up what it says is there,its like im just digging holes is this a common noobie problem ?it will give me a strong clear reading on something and yet a hole is dug with nothing to be found is it me or the machine plz help me if ya can, thanks everyone

I can certainly understand your frustration. I have owned and used several different detectors over the years and my latest is also an ACE 250. I found it very hard to get used to this one. My old (and so far favorite) one was a white's Classic II and i ran that one into the ground. I'll try to list a few pointers that helped me out as i was learning this machine.

It's a pretty decent machine overall and it will work as designed, but like you are experiencing, pinpointing with it can be frustratingly difficult, especially for a beginner. There are times out in the field when i still find myself chasing ghosts. What is happening is you are not pinpointing your target correctly and thus digging slightly off target and finding nothing. Believe me the target is there in the ground you're just not hitting it because you are having a difficult time with the machine telling you precisely where it is.

With a little research online you will find that lots of people have this same issue with this detector. First off don't give up on it. You will have to "learn" the machine and only time out in the field will accomplish that. This is true with any metal detector you buy. All metal detectors are complex tools and are only as good as the person using them so be patient and it will work for you and it will get easier.

you need to understand the shape of the electric field the coil produces (a cone shape above and below the coil) and on the ACE 250 you have an oval coil not a round one. So the very bottom of that invisible field is a small line (about an inch long or so) not a dot because your coil is oval not round.
This makes pinpointing a tad bit harder because while it's fairly easy to pinpoint your target side to side you 'll find that the machine sounds off twice as long while crossing the target up and down when you are drawing that X to pinpoint. Once you get used to this you will adapt. a few tricks you can use that might help are : 1) actually re position yourself 90 degrees to the target after you sweep it side to side for one line of your X and sweep side to side again for the other half of your X. 2) Intentionally lift your coil up 3-6" off the ground (but still keep it level) and pinpoint with it again - you should notice the target's area has grown much smaller now because a much smaller cross section of that invisible cone is now intersecting with the target. 3) the coil on your machine (if you have the same one I do) is a See through framework with a cute little half moon notch that presumably marks the center of the coil. (just in front of where the coil attaches to the pole from the detector). This feature of the coil's design naturally draws the eye when you are looking trough it while trying decide where your target is . I have found that the actual center of the coil's field is just slightly in front of that notch (about 3/4 - 1 inch) not in the notch! You can test this out by practicing pinpointing a target laying in plain sight. Pinpoint it by sound just as you would a target in the ground and when you stop mentally note it's position in relation to the notch in the coil's framework i was referring to. A buried target will be in that same spot.

You need to be aware that the ACE 250 is also slightly more prone to picking up objects in the ground with the "Halo" affect. All metal detectors do this but I've found that the 250 is slightly more sensitive to it because once you dig for a small object and disturb the soil around it you can destroy the halo while never seeing your target and then when you re-sweep the hole suddenly your target is much smaller and harder to pinpoint than before. Or you may have been detecting a piece of trash that had a halo that increased it's signal just into your machines "desirable" range but once the halo is gone the detector might be discriminating out the target completely. I've had this happen with small pieces of aluminum in certain types of soil.
Let me know if you need more info on this and I'll try to elaborate for you.

Another quirk that I've found with this machine that i have never seen on any other detector is when you press the pinpoint button on your control panel you must be off of your target or many times it won't work! I don't know if perhaps its just my machine that does this or if all the 250's do but if i am still over the target and hold the pinpoint button then 90% of the time nothing will sound. Test this out with your detector. I know on mine i have to be off the target completely before holding down the pinpoint button. However - another odd feature is that once i am on a target while holding the pinpoint button (and it's sounding off normally) i can then shrink down the field by 1/2 by hitting then holding the button again. I've been at that one a while and still haven't mastered how to do it precisely enough in the field to make it work well.
The pinpoint button on your control panel eliminates all discrimination too ! This is important to know if you hunt in high trash areas like i do. You may have been hunting with the disc on and enjoying relative quiet and found a good target then hit the pinpoint button and suddenly there are targets all around you ! or worse your good target is suddenly three times larger than it was before ! :BangHead: This is because now your detector is picking up those tiny pieces of trash. Just be patient and focus on the sounds your machine is making. A nail or piece of foil will sound different than a coin when you are pinpointing. If you suddenly find three separate targets in one spot where there was only one good one before you will have to pinpoint the good target by the type sound it makes.

I hope you stick with this wonderful hobby. Let me know if these pointers help you out or if you have any more questions. Hope to see you post some cool finds soon !

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds to me like you need to get you a quality pinpointer to help you locate those hard to find targets.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Another quirk that I've found with this machine that i have never seen on any other detector is when you press the pinpoint button on your control panel you must be off of your target or many times it won't work!"

My GTI-1500 does the same thing. In the book it suggests that you hold the coil an inch off the ground, but a foot or more off target and then sweep in. That was an excellent post, well thought out and well written.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 took a little to get use to....to pinpoint is a little ruff at the start....if you can air test and it sounds off then it will work in the ground..I am almost willing to bet you are digging a hole to far forward like I did for a week and didnt find anything....then I bought a pinpointer and dug a little bigger hole and stuck the pinpointer down in and WOOHOO find out it was all me, NOW I can push a probe into the earth and 95% of the time tap the coin with the probe before I even dig...and now I just dig a very small plug on point every time....

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In my personal experience when I started detecting I had the same exact problem, I had a signal, dug, and found nothing. Time went by, practice made me understand when I actually had a good signal and when not, pinpointing became easy... Now I know 100% if there is a good signal and I almost never miss a pinpoint.. So my advise... Practice practice practice and you will learn how to use the detector....no other way...
Oh last thing... Believe or not this is actually good for you because you are learning what not to listen in the future and how to pinpoint.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Another quirk that I've found with this machine that i have never seen on any other detector is when you press the pinpoint button on your control panel you must be off of your target or many times it won't work!"

My GTI-1500 does the same thing. In the book it suggests that you hold the coil an inch off the ground, but a foot or more off target and then sweep in. That was an excellent post, well thought out and well written.
Thanks for the compliment. I can relate to the OP here as of the 4 machines i've owned and used the ACE 250 has been the hardest to learn. You have no idea how happy it makes me to learn that this issue with the pinpoint button is an actual real feature by Garrett and not my imagination or just my machine lol :hello2: None of my MD buddies use a Garrett so I've had to puzzle it out on my own for the last year or so. Can you also shrink the size of the field by quickly re-tapping the pinpoint button on yours?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my 250 for over a year now and it's my first detector. When pin pointing, i find it easier to hold down the pp button about a foot away, as stated, then move the coil over until i get the strongest signal. Next, move the coil towards me until the signal disappears. Finally, slowly move the coil away from u until the signal returns. At this point, the target should be under the top of the inner oval, opposite of the shaft notch. I recommend digging everything until your comfortable. This took me sometime to figure out. Thanks to the tips here and watching plenty of vids.

Jay

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the compliment. I can relate to the OP here as of the 4 machines i've owned and used the ACE 250 has been the hardest to learn. You have no idea how happy it makes me to learn that this issue with the pinpoint button is an actual real feature by Garrett and not my imagination or just my machine lol :hello2: None of my MD buddies use a Garrett so I've had to puzzle it out on my own for the last year or so. Can you also shrink the size of the field by quickly re-tapping the pinpoint button on yours?

I never actually tried that. You were the first to suggest that to me. I printed out what you said and will experiment with it some in a test. Since I got the Propointer I depend less on the GTI. But sure as heck I will forget it, lose it or have a battery to fail, so I want to learn that trick. Thanks...

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks so much for the tips, One thing is certin im determend to master this ,i love history and i also like the excitement of finding a cool and valuable piece of the past, i feel better now that i know its me needing to learn the detector and not my detector not working

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes a pinpointer is on my list to buy next moth ,it will be the first thing i buy, my wife is only letting me buy one thing a month lol

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok will do i feel better knowing this is a common noob problem

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks i feel alot better knowing this is a common problem for a noob like me and not my machine

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Yeah same thing happened to me with my 250 (been using it about 2 months now). Question, what modes are you using it on and what sensitively setting? I usually use relic mode with the sensitivity on 4-6 and since then haven't really had many falses like that. I also bought a propointer 2 weeks after I got the detector, and wow does it make a HUGE difference. I wouldn't detect any more if I didn't have it as it makes the whole process much more seamless. Also some of your falses may not be false but the target maybe really small (ie piece of small foil) or it could be slightly out of your hole and you could be missing it. My advice which has helped me tremendously is try to find a guaranteed place you'll find all kinds of things (coins, nails, foil, pull tabs, etc) and go there a lot to learn the tones. This is what I do every Saturday morning at a local park and learning the tones and how to pin point with the detector has been the best thing I've done (plus found about $20 in clad, silver ring, and a gold charm). Good luck and enjoy, I'm upgrading pretty soon to a AT Pro and can't wait to do some water detecting.

Last edited:

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The air test will help you find the sweet spot on your coil for the pinpointer mode. I, like many was digging to far one way or the other. I pinpoint side to side and front to back. I think chasing ghost signals ever so often is a universal problem. I am saving up for an AT pro and will pass my 250 down to my 12 year old son.

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats great im going to get the at pro next myself and pass this to my wife who is showing an intrest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread