AT Pro or Whites MXT Pro?

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a used ace 250 2 years ago and have enjoyed breaking into the hoby with this machine but its time to upgrade and hand the 250 down to my 12 year old son. I am either going to go with the ATpro or MXT pro. Does anyone have experience with both and be king enough to share your experience with each. I look for coins and jewely more than anything is trashy area's but have a few spots lost to history I want to do a little relic hunting on when I upgrade. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both and can tell you honestly to get the MXT Pro and somewhere down the line get a sniper coil for it. You will be happy you got the White's.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both great machines cant go wrong with either

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the ATGold which has 18 instead of 15khz. Either one would do good for what you want. I'm kinda partial to Garrett. It is my name after all. Lol. I'd try them out first to see which one is more comfortable to yourself. Check the weight and options. I like the pinpointer on mine, but you'd still need the pro pointer or one like it to help recover items faster. So if you're good at figuring out where the item is at and dig plug, then use pointer to get it. Then the pinpointer for ATPro wouldn't be a benefit. Most of us like that option though. Look at batteries to. I know the ATPro uses 4 AAs, but not certain if Whites is 9v. You get about 20-30 hours off of the AAs. I just found my first silver ring today. Took about 10 small hunts to find it. I'm sure if I had the whites. It's been the same. They're both good. Also Garrett has a great customer service. Once again not sure of whites. Garrett has 2 year warranty.
Aside from that, the best advice I'll repeat is to try both out and see which best suits you.

D

DeepThought

Sandman - Why would that be? I read where people recommend a vs. b but have both machines..and comment differently for each at different times. The MXT is noisy and heavy...its detecting ability ought to be significantly better to make it worthwhile. Not being sarcastic here....just solid questions to those far more experienced.

DT

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Thought, I used the Whole White's line up except the entry level ones. I have owned two AT Pros and they didn't live up to their name and granted they were of the first generation. A good friend bought me a later AT PRO and this one is nothing like the other ones. The thing is stable, except at most saltwater beaches of course, but I like the weight and don't use a meter at all. It is on the idea that most dealers that received the AT Pro held on to them and if you buy from them you will hate me for recommending the ATP. I don't want anyone to use a MD that isn't up to the task. Read my signature below. That is why I suggest using the MXT as most will love it. But you never know if you'll get one of the first AT Pro's produced or an improved one.

Last edited:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the new At Pros have the lock cams on the rod and are good machines. First production ones had some issues but since have been fixed. Both are great machines. The At pro is lighter and ids coins a bit easyer than the mxt. I think for rings the At Pro has a slight advantage over the Mxt plus you can hunt lakes and beaches with the At Pro . Both are awesome machines cant go wrong with eighter one.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for what concerns at pro you can find out if its a first generation other than from the cam locks, from the serial. The ones that start with 51 are the first gen, 52 second gen. That easy.
Anyhow I have had both, now I have the at pro, and for now I can say that the mxt is more stable and it is still easier than the at. Ah my soil is quite mineralized, my at ground balances at 88 out of 100....

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny i found the mxt a bit more chattery and doesnt id nickels and pull tabs as easy as the At Pro .
But i still think there both awsome machines.

OP
OP
A

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep , helluva choice to make that is for sure. I know I will have the money for an ATPRO a little sooner than an mxt which might just end up being the biggest factor...when I want something I am not exactly patient lol

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my mxt for two year's. You just cant get a good vdi anywhere past 6 inches. I got a etrac and dont have that problem now. My advice is if you get a machine for 700 dollars you WILL ALWAYS WONDER WHAT IF??????? Just my opinion

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What if? Ohhh the boys and toys syndrome. We are always looking for the next toy. Got the ATGold as starter and already thinking about my next one. I'm happy with it but I'm thinking about a PI one as well. You always get he opinion on what's best. I still say try each one out and see which you are more comfortable with. After all if you're not confident with your detector it won't matter which one you get. Lol. Money is always a problem of course, but if that means waiting a month or two to get the one you really want. Then do that.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats another thing the Mxt pro is more expensive than the At Pro and it isn't weather proof doesn't id pull tabs or nickels as well. Plus the At Pro has a slight advantage for ring finding capability. frequency's are pretty close.The Mxt weighs more and uses twice the batteries. So it comes down to what where and when you gonna hunt. Rain lakes beaches parks prospecting At Pro or Parks dry sand prospecting Mxt Pro .

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
FIRST METAL DETECTOR,GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my recomendation is to get ahold of kellycodetectors!!! they are a distributer who wont try to swing you to buy a more expensive one, if you throw at them the at pro or the mxt you will get a more neutral opinion, myself ill be upgradeing to the pro when i upgrade because to myself the pro and mxt are to evenly matched in ability,the swinger for me is the garrett is more of an all weather detector and more durable, i just cant see spending the extra money on the mxt that is less weather resistant, and less durable and i tell you this honestly!!!! i had planned on upgradeing to the mxt until i did the research and got opinions from the pro's but one thing iv learned the best detector is only as good as its operator the most important thing to succes hunting is the research at this time i have the ace 250 i upgradeing a few coils that alone almost made this a new machine but good luck and BOTH of your choices are good!!!! either one will make u happy best of luck let me know what ya choose

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the at pro is a copy cat too white's except the under water feature

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say the At pro is more like a suped up ace 250 with weather proofing better pinpointing and a higher frequency.

OP
OP
A

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont get me wrong I really like my ACE 250 and know the machine well. I am giving this to my son and decided its time to upgrade. To be honest I detect all over the place. Parks, yards, beaches, pastures, etc..., I look in a lot of differet places. My only real problem is finding a way to test each machine. I live in a small town and 70 miles from the nearest whites dealers and the whites dealer in Tulsa doesnt carry the MXT pro, just the mxt. I would have to drive to OKC to try out a ATPRO. IF they are about equal in perfomance it makes perfect sense to save money and get something water proof, if not its not a big deal to save up a little more and get the MXTPRO

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just recieved my AT Pro yesterday tried it out today and loved it finding lots of targets my 250 had missed.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At Pro rocks found my third ring with it today. 2 gold so far. It defanatly has a advantage to the Mxt when it comes to rings.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Part of the reason I picked the Garrett ATG (I also thought about the MXT as well as others) was the waterproof ability. I knew I'd be hunting some beaches and rivers and didn't want to worry about it. Today we had a big rain/hail and snow storm. A rarity at our elevation. There I was swinging away in the local park. It's sure nice to know I don't have to worry about that. Lol
I'm pretty certain that you'll be swinging towards the ATPro.
You don't have any local mining supply places by ya. How about any prospector clubs? There you'd get a good opportunity to try or at least see first hand how each one performs. Or possibly if there's an outdoor expo or even a gold show near ya. Just some other options.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread