Gti 2500 ?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 2500 is not as waterproof as the AT Pro. The 2500 will go deeper under the same conditions. It is heavier, but well balanced. The visual interface is nice, depending on how much you use the discrimination feature. It is a step up from the AT-Pro.

OP
OP
old truck driver
Jan 12, 2013
This all sounds grate I'm planting to keep the at pro I'm a big man 6ft 270 lb. is the gti. 2500 worth the money ? I planed on keeping the pro.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This all sounds grate I'm planting to keep the at pro I'm a big man 6ft 270 lb. is the gti. 2500 worth the money ? I planed on keeping the pro.

It is up to you if the money is right on the purchase. It is better than the AT-Pro, except when you are in the rain. The next step up from the AT-Pro is the GTI-1500. You can get that and save several hundred dollars from the 2500.

The true answer to this question comes in the this question, "How long will it take the new metal detector to pay for itself?" Keep in mind that a MD can pay for itself in a number of ways. You can find a good gold ring and get most of your money back. But you should factor in the joy of being out detecting. We call them Boyz Toyz. I know people who have thousands of dollars wrapped up in remote control cars that they take out to sand hills and play with. They never get cash money back, but they get enjoyment. Detecting is a good, safe hobby that can include the whole family. Sometimes the simple joy of finding an Indian Head Penny is enough to make it worth while. We are going to spend our entertainment bucks somewhere. Why not on a Detector?

If you get the 1500 or the 2500, you will find more stuff and dig fewer trash holes...IF you take the time to learn that machine. I am not putting down the AT-Pro. It is a good machine, but not quite as sophisticated as the 1500 and 2500.

Best of luck with your decision and future hunting.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The GTI 2500 is 1.57 lbs lighter than the AT Pro, but for me that's not an issue. Advantages of The GTI for me are:

• Greater Selection of Search Coils (6 for GTI/4 for AT Pro)
  • Greater number of Sensitivity/Depth Adjustments (25 for GTI/8 for AT
  • Last but not least, the GTI's feature that is its namesake (Graphic Target Imaging)

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
i have heard that the 2500 has a slow response time due to the imaging feature.any truth to that i have never used one but my buddy had one and told me it took some getting used to.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GrizLeeBear said:
The stat sheets shows the AT Pro to weigh 3.3 pounds and the 2500 to weigh 4.625 pounds.

Otherwise, I agree with all you say.

You're correct Griz...I got it backwards ! Thanks...

Woody: my experience so far with the GTI 2500 indicates that it doesn't require a fast sweep as some other units do. I tend to be a little slower on my sweep, so that may be why I haven't noticed the issue.

Last edited:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have heard that the 2500 has a slow response time due to the imaging feature.any truth to that i have never used one but my buddy had one and told me it took some getting used to.

The GTI feature is used upon request at the push of a button. When just swinging the machine I never noticed any delay. Sometimes people swing too fast and that may cause a delay. I have noticed that sometimes when I go over a trash item there is a delay or abbreviated "beep", as if the machine is deciding if the item fits the discrimination mode. But it never hesitates when going over a good, solid hit. I like the Garrett Bell Tone as well. When you go over a good item you get a double "beep" of two different tones. The first one says, "I found something" and the second is "I think you will like it".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread