Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still learning my machine just got it and was having trouble with pinpointing it's not like my 250, is it the very first rectangle the one closest to the shaft the main point for the the pinpoint or the 2nd or 3rd? I have no idea lol

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any good tips/or techniques you all use?

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinpointing is usually done as an "X" pattern. Move back and forth, noting the strongest signal. Then move 90 degrees to the side and do the same thing. The intersection of the X is the spot. Many soil factors can affect where your machine sees the target, but the X will get you close.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pinpointing is usually done as an "X" pattern. Move back and forth, noting the strongest signal. Then move 90 degrees to the side and do the same thing. The intersection of the X is the spot. Many soil factors can affect where your machine sees the target, but the X will get you close.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that technique.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way to pinpoint on the at is press pinpoint on target go forward till signal fades then back till signal fades then left till signal fades then right till signal fades. If it fades in all directions your target will be in the center where the coil target is.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've watched fellows pinpoint on a sandy surface and use the X method until they are sure they have found the strongest signal in both directions then ... mark the sand with the coil imprint. Of course this wont work for solid soil. I've been putting a golf T down where I think the strongest signal is then recheck and move it if needed. Sometimes a little pebble works and I kick it into place as I recheck the area. I'm a novice, and it shows! Seasoned MDers get pretty good at spotting the location where the best signal was found without using a physical marker.

The target spot is just forward of the shaft pivot connection.

Also another marking method is to get the strongest signal spot then push the coil forward until the signal stops. Place your toe at the rear of the coil and that is where you should dig.

My first inclination before I dig is to use a hand held ProPointer just in case the target is so close to the surface that I can scratch it up with a flick or two of a knife. ProPointer does not have much more than an inch of detection range. A good many of the coins I've picked up are recent drops anyway.

Two days ago I watched a fellow use a small shovel with a long handle to shove into the ground, push forward on the handle to make a temporary slot in the ground. Then he would use his ProPointer in the slot to get the exact location of the metal "find". Really easy to simply stomp the slot closed leaving a nearly invisible soil disturbance.

M

Last edited:

ozzie jack

Jan 5, 2013
North West Tasmania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Ltd with three coils
Garrett AT Pro with two coils
Garrett Ace 350 with three coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just push pinpoint and drag the coil back towards me, if it stops with a sharp cut off sound its a flat target coin, washer or flat bottle top. If its a erratic cut off then its trash or a ring.
When i pull coil back towards me, once sound stops the rule i got from garrett is the shallow target is just under the end of coil and a deep target is back from the end towards the middle of the coil due to the cone shape of how a DD coil works in soil.

OP
OP
JmCraz8

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've watched fellows pinpoint on a sandy surface and use the X method until they are sure they have found the strongest signal in both directions then ... mark the sand with the coil imprint. Of course this wont work for solid soil. I've been putting a golf T down where I think the strongest signal is then recheck and move it if needed. Sometimes a little pebble works and I kick it into place as I recheck the area. I'm a novice, and it shows! Seasoned MDers get pretty good at spotting the location where the best signal was found without using a physical marker.

The target spot is just forward of the shaft pivot connection.

Also another marking method is to get the strongest signal spot then push the coil forward until the signal stops. Place your toe at the rear of the coil and that is where you should dig.

My first inclination before I dig is to use a hand held ProPointer just in case the target is so close to the surface that I can scratch it up with a flick or two of a knife. ProPointer does not have much more than an inch of detection range. A good many of the coins I've picked up are recent drops anyway.

Two days ago I watched a fellow use a small shovel with a long handle to shove into the ground, push forward on the handle to make a temporary slot in the ground. Then he would use his ProPointer in the slot to get the exact location of the metal "find". Really easy to simply stomp the slot closed leaving a nearly invisible soil disturbance.

M

I never thought about using a golf tee, i'll definitely start using one, sometimes i forget where the target was haha. Thanks everyone i'll try all techniques to see which one is better for me. HH!!!!

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett actually has several videos on their site about this and other things.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moonrover, you should google propointer depth modification. Simply by sliding a coin down the side of your propointer you can make it sensitive to 3-4 inches!! It costs nothing, works well, and doesn't hurt your propointer or the warranty!!

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
gunsil said:
Moonrover, you should google propointer depth modification. Simply by sliding a coin down the side of your propointer you can make it sensitive to 3-4 inches!! It costs nothing, works well, and doesn't hurt your propointer or the warranty!!

Thanks. Yes I did see a video demonstrating that, but have not used the method yet. Next time out, I will try it. Raining right now here in central Texas so the soil should be easier to dig in a few hours. Been so dry that digging in concrete could not be any more difficult !! Sort of miss my old soil back home in Ohio.

M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread