I have a Garrett 250

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep digging and practise! When pin pointing, if the target signal disappears after moving the coil only an few inches (2-3) its a small target and possible coin if its in the higher range! If the signal is repeatable, like reading constant penny and not jumping around, its a good target, dig. Raise the coil when pin pointing over the target, if you still hear it 6inches off the ground, probably trash. Oh and btw, practise.... ;)

Good luck,
Jay

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part of that is where you search. For some reason, a buried pull tab often looks like a clad dime on some machines. They give good strong signals that beg to be dug. Are you finding any good stuff, or only trash? I prefer the Jewlery setting on my GTI 1500. If there is a buried relic it will still get a hit, but it cuts down on some trash. Finally, what I always say. Go in the back yard and bury a dime and a pull tab a few feet apart. Go over them over and over knowing what they are. Learn the sounds they make and the indications they give. Happy Hunting.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all depends what you are looking for...if you are out looking for old coins...than set your machines to only pic up 10c/25c/50c/1.00....trust me, this will save you TONS of time wasted digging trash...When I detect..i go in waves...If i have a park I plan on hitting, I go thru first and try and find all the coins...then when my signals are running low, than i switch over to Gold signals..Ive been very lucky with this method....Good luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tip on large soda cans. If you get a signal that you think is a soda can, Lift the coil 10-12 inches off the ground and swing again. A large target will still give a strong signal, a small target will disappear.

Wayne

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
HollySnow said:
I'm gonna keep on practicing:)

Earphones are also a help to listen for those faint sounds that differentiate trash from treasure. Like Griz mentioned, a test of known trash and coins will help you tune your ears. Also the earphones sure help me (old ears) with blocking out outside sounds of traffic, etc..

M

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is just my opinion, but headphones for the Ace are really only needed as not to disturb people around you. Also, to conserve batteries. Since it doesn't have proportional audio like the AT Pro and other higher end MD's, you'll hear the same intensity of tone regardless of depth. Just my experience/opinion.

Jay

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Jay In NewKen said:
This is just my opinion, but headphones for the Ace are really only needed as not to disturb people around you. Also, to conserve batteries. Since it doesn't have proportional audio like the AT Pro and other higher end MD's, you'll hear the same intensity of tone regardless of depth. Just my experience/opinion.

Jay

Ah ... I stand corrected. I'm using the AT Pro so I did not know of the audio situation with the 250.. Still, anyone with hearing problems like me can use the headphones to somewhat muffle ambient surrounding noise (vehicle traffic, surf, screaming kids, etc). One other benefit is people tend to not attempt to engage me in a conversation when they see I'm inside the headphones.

M

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch all the videos on You Tube on the Ace250 and practice,practice,practice.
Good Luck

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone on here touched on all the important things to pay attention to.....just need to practice, practice...etc

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

It's just so embarrassingly loud!! I put tape over tbe speakers to quiet it down

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
HollySnow said:
It's just so embarrassingly loud!! I put tape over tbe speakers to quiet it down

Some headphones have a volume control and of course once any headphone is plugged into the metal detector, the speaker is cut off.

M

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found going in all metal mode can be annoying but it can also save you from digging some trash targets because of the sound each target gives up. One you learn the sounds it helps to id whats in the ground. Pull tabs are going to always be a problem. If you skip one it could have been something different and a great find..or that is what I keep telling myself lol. If something gives off an erratic signal it prob isnt what you are looking for. A burried can will send mine into freakout mode. The 2 things my ACE 250 is great at locking onto is pennies and quarters. Nickels and pulltabs seem to register the same and sometimes a dime/pulltab do the same as well. Its impossible to not dig trash when looking for the good stuff

jekyll23

Mar 18, 2013
Downey, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not go out without my Garrett Headphones with volume control in the cord. I use the 250 and all that has been said above is true, especially lifting the coil to check the size of the target. I typically only hunt coins in the coin mode, have not used relic that much, hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions