Waterproof garrett pp?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
So i was watching an aquachigger video on youtube (under.his new youtube name though which I forget), and he was fully submerging his pro pointer. Do any of you guys know how to legitimately waterproof a pro pointer. I wanna do more creek detecting with my atpro, but it is tough without using my propointer because of all the mud that gets kicked up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all in advance.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ProPointer isn't water proof. Let me say it again... THE PROPOINTER ISN'T WATER PROOF!!!!

Now... That the disclaimer is out of the way... With a lot of work with silicone caulk, you can perhaps waterproof your ProPointer if you're lucky. I would start with the speaker hole and the button. Put loads of silicone caulk over both and allow it to dry. I would also run a bead of silicone over the plastic seams. Then I would also remove the battery cap and use silicone O-ring grease on the rubber O-ring.

Then and only then would I even attempt to submerge the ProPointer.

And remember, if water can find its way in, it will...

You can also PM Aquachigger here on T-net. He's a regular. He may tell you what he did to his...

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has a video on his YouTube channel on how to do it.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww crap.. i see that you said you forgot where. When I get home I'll help you find it.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Aww crap.. i see that you said you forgot where. When I get home I'll help you find it.

That link would be great if you know where to find it! Did any of you guys waterproof your pro pointers?

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to cover the LED light, button, speaker opening, and battery cover. It isn't recommended, but quite a few people have done it.

Wayne

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
You have to cover the LED light, button, speaker opening, and battery cover. It isn't recommended, but quite a few people have done it.

Wayne

Im sure it isnt recommended, but creek hunting without a pro pointer is more of a pain with all the mud that gets kicked up....i wonder why garrett doesnt just make a waterproof one...they would make some serious coin producing that.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did this tutorial for creek hunting. The only suggestion I have is probably every spring I would get off as much as I can re-caulk it... Just in case.
Also one more suggestion is take a small piece of clear packaging tape and put it over the speaker holes. Then put the caulk over that. That way you are not pushing silicone into the speaker itself... I've heard of people messing up their sound that way. Good Luck!

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my Propointer for creek and lake hunting all the time. I use a Foodsaver vacuum sealer (available from Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) to heat seal it in a vacuum bag, then "armor" the probe tip with a layer of duct tape. Don't use the vacuum though, because the bag will then hold the on/off button down and you won't be able to shut it off. Just use the heat sealer to seal the bag as closely as possible around the Propointer.

It's 100% waterproof, the duct tape stops the bag from getting pierced by rocks, and you can feel the vibrations and still hear the beeper if your head is underwater.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
I use my Propointer for creek and lake hunting all the time. I use a Foodsaver vacuum sealer (available from Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) to heat seal it in a vacuum bag, then "armor" the probe tip with a layer of duct tape. Don't use the vacuum though, because the bag will then hold the on/off button down and you won't be able to shut it off. Just use the heat sealer to seal the bag as closely as possible around the Propointer.

It's 100% waterproof, the duct tape stops the bag from getting pierced by rocks, and you can feel the vibrations and still hear the beeper if your head is underwater.

Thank you...maybe I will look into this as well

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...i wonder why garrett doesnt just make a waterproof one...they would make some serious coin producing that.
I E-mailed Garrett and asked them if they would look into producing a waterproof version, they said that if their market research shows it would be profitable then they would produce them. So everyone, write into Garrett and ask them to produce them and you never know.
ZDD

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a VibraProbe 580 if you want a waterproof pinpointer.....It is only about $30 more than the Garrett and in my opinion the better of the two.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of people using condoms to make waterproof....I think duct taping the end would help aid it from not tearing

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Get a VibraProbe 580 if you want a waterproof pinpointer.....It is only about $30 more than the Garrett and in my opinion the better of the two.

This was an option that I considered as well....either way im not going creek hunting till I have a waterproof pinpointer.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of people using condoms to make waterproof....I think duct taping the end would help aid it from not tearing
Naw...it just wouldnt feel the same. :laughing7:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VibraProbe all the way,Great pinpointer and waterproof til balls deep!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread