Master Hunter CX of Goldmaster 4B for nuggets?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK- first off I realize these are older detectors and perhaps better options are available. I have both of these at my disposal thanks to a friend who owns them but doesn't have time to use them. I live in California's Gold Country south of Sonora.

The problem I have with the Goldmaster is discrimination. I can't tell a ring from a can from a nail. It seems the learning curve is rather steep unless I'm missing the obvious. I'm pretty sure I've learned how to ground balance it.

The MH-CX seems pretty easy to use. I'm just not sure it's working correctly in that it makes the same sound for a small amount of gold in a vial as it does a gold ring. It also falses when shaken so I'm about to open it and look for loose connections. I do like it's discrimination properties but then I'm used to my Ace 250.

So, if you had to choose one of these to 'master' and use for nugget shooting, which one would you choose and why? Also does anyone know of a Garrett service tech near Sonora?

Thanks-

NCHornet

Feb 28, 2013
Mayberry RFD, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Sun King Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Grand Master Hunter CXIII, I bought a few years ago in like new condition and am just now getting around to learning how to use it, so I may not be the best one to ask, lol!!!!! But here are my thoughts anyways, a 30 year old detector in someone's hand that knows how to use is going to find much more than a $2,500 new unit with all the bells and whistles in a newbies hand that just swings it every where. I am a gadget guy, part of me wants to buy a AT Pro or other new detector, but my wallet tells me to learn with what I have and after I find my first 5lb nugget than I can buy a new detector if I really want one. I am sorry I don't know anything about nugget hunting but I am sure someone will be by soon that can answer your question better than me. I would call Garrett and ask them about your unit and see if they still work on them. Internet rumor says they will not work on a detector more than 10 years old, but I called them about my 15-20 year old CXIII and they told me that they still work on this model and carry replacement parts as well. Good luck with your hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions