gti 2500 vs at pro

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just had the same delema; I went with the Pro.....(1.waterproof......(2. little lighter...........(3. way less $$$ for a well reviewed machine

Jan 12, 2013
Hi, this is my 2ed year in this hobby. Last year the wife got me the at pro, for Christmas I used it all last year and found some great thing with it. This year well I just bough the GTI 2500 I was able to get deal no a new one. I have not bin able to use it much here in up state NY. Yet, but I hope that the GTI will help from digging up bottle caps and pop top rings to enable me to cover more ground but I still have the At Pro

leemiller24

Greenie
Jun 25, 2012
I like the pro, it will find the material, but like everything else gold loves to be a bit indescriminate where it likes to pop up on the grid. Whichever works better, I'll keep, or may go entirely with another brand like Minelab.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
the GTI will help from digging up bottle caps and pop top rings to enable me to cover more ground but I still have the At Pro

Don't discriminate out nickels or pull tabs. Gold rings up right with them. If you get rid of the pull tabs... you get rid of the gold.

Make a test garden with some gold and pull tabs.

leemiller24

Greenie
Jun 25, 2012
The thought of not discriminating pull tabs where I hunt- I might as well go get a caterpillar excavator and dig up the whole yard! :)

Jan 12, 2013
No you don't want to discriminate the pull tabs but what I have found with my at pro is that when the numbers change like from 56 to 63 back to 58 and so on with the numbers jumping all over and not able to lock in on the target you can bet that its a pull tab and the same with bottle caps but with high numbers

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
No you don't want to discriminate the pull tabs but what I have found with my at pro is that when the numbers change like from 56 to 63 back to 58 and so on with the numbers jumping all over and not able to lock in on the target you can bet that its a pull tab and the same with bottle caps but with high numbers

Yeah, the GTI works a little differently. You can notch out the pull tabs, but you are also notching out the gold. It's not just a tone with numbers and you make the decision. If you turn off the tabs, you never hear the tone. The GTI erases them from the planet, and takes the gold with it.

It's like that with iron. I turn off the iron, I never hear an iron signal. Just like it's never there. The plus side of the GTI. Take two earrings. Sweep the coil over one, then tell the GTI that's the one you want. Throw the other one into the yard. (don't let the wife see you do this experiment)

Everything disappears. The only thing it will sound off on is the other earring.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
They are both great machines, close in depth. On sizes, the other one doesn't. ones water proof, the other one isn't.

all machines.jpg

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to believe that as well. Since I've learned to go more by the sound than the VDI, I've been finding a LOT more "keeper" items. The VDI is neat but I don't use it to judge what's in the ground anymore. I occasionally take a look at it but I think that's how I learned my machine. Use it as a learning tool or a crutch but eventually you're going to want to wean yourself off that and start to rely more on your ears and the tone ID, which is MUCH more accurate.

Jan 12, 2013
Yes I agree the tone has a big part in it but with the tone being that of a low tone the same as a peace of gold jewelry and a nickel. That's when I make the judgment with the number you can almost tell by the sound but when your are in a junky place it's helps to identify what your digging

poida84

Greenie
Mar 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't you just put on iron audio?? so you can tell if the cap which sounds on cold has bit of iron? there fore deciding its not good item? or it don't work like that most time?

just curious

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't run either of these machines but will say I have just found the happy spot in my machine for gold rings, and it is staying there. I usually have a good idea Im about to dig a ring. Not 100% but I will get a solid number, usually high in the foil range. I don't disc out a whole lot, and have to run the machine on high gain or extremely sensitive. I find rings in local parks, I am usually in a trashy area when I hunt. I run a basic 3 tone and don't change the tone any. Head phones would help if it wasn't so trashy. I believe the pro and gti is equivalent to my machine and both will produce. But things like threshold and being able to change tones to help you hear the targets would be one of things you want to know before buying either one. The chart I am seeing on here is a air test. Depending on where and what you hunt, you just aren't going to need to dig 15" deep holes all day. I would very much like to hear how one performs to the other. No chart, just actual hunts, what machine, and your fav setting(s). Being vlf I would say the machine with the higher freq wins, as it would be more sensitive.

poida84

Greenie
Mar 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's with the AT Pro STND and AT Pro Prof? Standard and Professional edition? Am I missing something?

check the garret channel on youtube it explains the the two sound modes.

with professional there is better audio as in lower the beep is the deeper the target the louder it is closer it is to the surface...
and shorter the beep the smaller the target and longer the beep larger the target is...

so with pro mode you can decide how deep the target is and what kind of target it is. something like that.. with standard mode its just normal beeps you would hear in the ACE ones... but easier to learn off first..

i dont have AT pro but from watching a lot of youtube videos you get an idea how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread