AT Pro 5x8 DD

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All, I've been prep'ing for the spring and been researching reviews on the 5x8 dd coil for the ATP. Most reviews were positive for use in trashy areas, which will be the primary environment I'll be hunting. Does anyone have experience with this coil? Most of the reviews I've read were 2 years old, so I was curious if anyone had recent experience with it. Is there that much of a difference (target separation) between the stock and 5"?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like to know this aswell, heard nothing but good things.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works extremely well in trashy environments, and is almost as deep as the stock coil. Our customers that have added this coil to their AT Pros wont take them off! Excellent target separation, stable ID, it's a great combination.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It works extremely well in trashy environments, and is almost as deep as the stock coil. Our customers that have added this coil to their AT Pros wont take them off! Excellent target separation, stable ID, it's a great combination.Waynewww.metaldetectingstuff.com
Thank you looks like ill be gettin this coil in the near future haha

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use one very often. It is NEARLY as deep as the stock coil. I tested this in the field. I found a target that gave me a very weak, but crisp high tone with the stock coil. I marked my spot and swapped coils and checked it. The target signal seemed to be just as loud and crisp as with the stock coil. I use the small coil quite often in fields that have crop stubble in them. The small coil allows me to swing between corn stalks and cotton stalks with ease.

It does work well in getting in iron infested spots with the smaller field too.

It is also very light weight. It really makes the AT Pro feel more balanced.

I would recommend purchasing a new lower mounting rod and coil/rod bolt with the 5x8. Assemble it together and then swap the lower rod on & off instead of swapping the coil. It's much easier than fumbling with the coil/rod bolt every time. At least it is with me and my fat fingers.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one very often. It is NEARLY as deep as the stock coil. I tested this in the field. I found a target that gave me a very weak, but crisp high tone with the stock coil. I marked my spot and swapped coils and checked it. The target signal seemed to be just as loud and crisp as with the stock coil. I use the small coil quite often in fields that have crop stubble in them. The small coil allows me to swing between corn stalks and cotton stalks with ease.

It does work well in getting in iron infested spots with the smaller field too.

It is also very light weight. It really makes the AT Pro feel more balanced.

I would recommend purchasing a new lower mounting rod and coil/rod bolt with the 5x8. Assemble it together and then swap the lower rod on & off instead of swapping the coil. It's much easier than fumbling with the coil/rod bolt every time. At least it is with me and my fat fingers.

Do you think it would be smarter to buy the 5x8 instead of the Sniper coil?..I too have only used my stock coil

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sniper coil is really great when working near a chain link fence or around playground equipment.It gets you closer to the metal poles before going off. You loose a little more depth on the smaller coil, but it still has good depth.

Wayne

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just purchased the 5x8 coil and will soon be using it as soon as the frost is out of the ground. I will be hunting in a field that I have hunted at least 12 to 15 times with the stock coil, this field has one area that is infested with iron and I don't want to have to dig out all that iron. So, this will be a very good test to see if it can pick up any other goodies that my larger coil has missed. I will report the results in a week or two, the frost should be gone by then.
I also will hit this field again if I get my hands on one of those E Tracks, just to proof to myself that the AT Pro is a better machine for the money. I really don't think the an E Track will do all that much better then the ATP in this pounded out area and this will proof it. At least not $800 better.
ZDD

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my AT Pro, it did not come with the 5x8 and I bought it after a couple of weeks using the standard coil. It's been over a year and all I use is the 5x8 coil. I have also used other detectors and really like the smaller coils versus the larger coils. Just my 2 censts worth.

grobb28

Feb 20, 2013
Love my AT Pro, it did not come with the 5x8 and I bought it after a couple of weeks using the standard coil. It's been over a year and all I use is the 5x8 coil. I have also used other detectors and really like the smaller coils versus the larger coils. Just my 2 censts worth.

It works good .. More lightweight !!! Get it

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I much prefer the 5x8 coil. It's a lot lighter than the larger coil--you can swing longer without tiring out. It goes deep--I get strong hits on coins more than 10 inches deep. It also seems to be easier to pinpoint targets than the larger coil.

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
What's the best place to pick one up? this is my only complaint so far with the pro is the bigger coil is a bit too heavy and bulky, I'm coming from a 250 which I loved the smaller stock coil

grobb28

Feb 20, 2013
What's the best place to pick one up? this is my only complaint so far with the pro is the bigger coil is a bit too heavy and bulky, I'm coming from a 250 which I loved the smaller stock coil

Kelly co . Com or there's tons of private dealers

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you think it would be smarter to buy the 5x8 instead of the Sniper coil?..I too have only used my stock coil

It will depend on the hunting locations you plan to use it at. I don't hunt "tot lots", so getting close to the playground equipment or chain link fence isn't much of a concern to me. Frankly, I haven't had a need for a sniper coil. I relic hunt, mostly fields and woods, so having the ability to slide the 5x8 coil in around bushes and plant stubble is more my concern and the 5x8 gets me in there with great depth.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two AT Pros. One has the concentric coil and the other has the 5x8 DD. I almost never use the sniper coil and in fact am thinking of selling it. I never show up somewhere with the 5x8 or concentric and regret I didnt bring the sniper.
The little amount of depth you gain with the large DD is not worth the aggravation with it's multiple pinpoints. The only time I think of using the large DD is in large open fields that I've already gone over with the smaller coils.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried ordering one from Bart. He said he should have them in late next week. I'm sold, needless to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread